Why would they told me they don't have that bag but 5 minutes later they have it?!

onlyk

Feb 25, 2015
It happened to me twice in two different boutiques of two different style super popular bags, I was told they didn't have it when I asked a SA, but 5 or 10 minutes later after looked over other bags they brought, the same SA who told me they didn't have it checked on her IPAD or would suddenly "remembered" they have it!

Isn't that strange? Anyone could figure out the reason? Is LV adopting Herme's strategy (such as they would telling people they don't have the Birkin even they have one available in the store)?

Anyone has theory on that?

Last edited:
You can't compare LV to Hermes...:shocked:
like it's nowhere on the same level of exclusivity, price, and LV mass produces everything at much higher quantities.

SA's are only human. They're not a computer data base.
Everytime I have ever inquired about an item from any store, Gucci, YSL, Chanel, LV, ect. They always checked to see if it's in stock. They showed me other items in the meantime, that's their job lol

When I was searching for a LV Bracelet that was quite popular two years back (pink and white leather combo)---it was out of stock in 3 different locations. I finally found it in the 4th. The bracalet wasn't even "available" in the data base of what is in stock. A kind SA found it for me after looking for 20m from the items that were JUST recently delivered that morning.

LV SA's aren't out to get you or play games. It's not Hermes. No brand has SA's like Hermes.

Also if they wanted to sell you another bag, why would they suddenly mention they have the item you want. Clearly you will be buying that instead.

my 2 cents.

Reactions: onlyk
Also if they wanted to sell you another bag, why would they suddenly mention they have the item you want. Clearly you will be buying that instead.

my 2 cents.
That's why I was really surprised, but that had happened to me two times in two different boutiques, it's like as if at first they were not going selling it to me then changed their mind and decided to sell it to me.

that's why I was really surprised, but that had happened to me two times in two different boutiques, it's like as if they first decided not to selling it to me then changed their mind and decided to sell it to me.
Whenever I buy a bag they always try to upsell me a wallet or bag charm along with that.

Maybe they were trying to do something similar? :hrmm:
I wouldn't really read too much into it

Whenever I buy a bag they always try to upsell me a wallet or bag charm along with that.

Maybe they were trying to do something similar? :hrmm:
I wouldn't really read too much into it
It was not like that, the two bags I got were so hot and so difficult to get, to me it was like a lucky draw, and the SAs didn't have to sell them to me, these bags would be sold within minutes if they had been on display. That's why I thought it is like Hermes strategy.

Reactions: rosiier
My husband told me that LV might have max. selling quotas a day. When he went to a LV store in France a few years back, him and my father-in-law wanted to buy the same wallet... my husband told the SA he wanted to buy 2, but the SA said he only had 1 in stock. When my husband explained he wanted to get the same wallet for both himself and my father-in-law (who was present at the store as well), the SA suddenly had 1 more LOL!. Maybe they have certain rules in place.

But if you said it's a hot seller item, maybe they reserve some for VIP clients, and if they don't want it, the bag can be sold to the public?

My husband told me that LV might have max. selling quotas a day. When he went to a LV store in France a few years back, him and my father-in-law wanted to buy the same wallet... my husband told the SA he wanted to buy 2, but the SA said he only had 1 in stock. When my husband explained he wanted to get the same wallet for both himself and my father-in-law (who was present at the store as well), the SA suddenly had 1 more LOL!. Maybe they have certain rules in place.

But if you said it's a hot seller item, maybe they reserve some for VIP clients, and if they don't want it, the bag can be sold to the public?
Great information! So that does mean SA has certain "power" to decide whether they sell it or not, and I also do believe you said they would reserve some hot items for VIP clients.

Maybe they were trying to move some other “not so popular” styles?
When they realized you wanted the specific bag it suddenly appeared!
I don’t know, I’m only guessing here. :shrugs:
I wouldn’t read too much into it either.
Very possible!
Well, I am trying to figure out the trick so next time maybe I can use it to get any bags I want! hahaaha.

Reactions: sayakayumi
I've had that happen to me before but it was with two different SA's. One said they didn't have it but the other one magically found one in the back. And another time when I inquired about a few of the Tahitienne items last year, two SA's said they never received any but a third one brought out a mini pochette and bandeau!! She did say they had been holding them for someone who never came in and paid though.....so it's possible they "hold" things in the back for people or just keep them back there for whatever reason. When I went to the boutique a few weeks ago to exchange my old Delightful for the Graceful, they had three of them tucked away in a drawer! None were on display at all.

Great information! So that does mean SA has certain "power" to decide whether they sell it or not, and I also do believe you said they would reserve some hot items for VIP clients.

I don't know if it's up to the SA or not, or if it's a general rule in place. I heard the LV locations in France have had issues with visitors buying multiples and selling it in their home country for a profit (considering visitors get the VAT back, and it's generally cheaper to buy LV in France?).. to minimize the chances, they might try and sell a certain number a day, or allow you to buy a certain amount a day etc. I've never had this issue with my local LV stores, but I have had to be put on waitlist for some bags though.

I've had that happen to me before but it was with two different SA's. One said they didn't have it but the other one magically found one in the back. And another time when I inquired about a few of the Tahitienne items last year, two SA's said they never received any but a third one brought out a mini pochette and bandeau!! She did say they had been holding them for someone who never came in and paid though.....so it's possible they "hold" things in the back for people or just keep them back there for whatever reason. When I went to the boutique a few weeks ago to exchange my old Delightful for the Graceful, they had three of them tucked away in a drawer! None were on display at all.
Great to know! gosh, you really can't take their "Nos" for answer!

Reactions: LVLoveaffair
I don't know if it's up to the SA or not, or if it's a general rule in place. I heard the LV locations in France have had issues with visitors buying multiples and selling it in their home country for a profit (considering visitors get the VAT back, and it's generally cheaper to buy LV in France?).. to minimize the chances, they might try and sell a certain number a day, or allow you to buy a certain amount a day etc. I've never had this issue with my local LV stores, but I have had to be put on waitlist for some bags though.
I wish could buy them in Europe too, the price difference is HUGE!
They had tried to convince me to put on wait list and I always say no, I like to go in and buy it when I sees it in person. :biggrin:

It happened to me twice in two different boutiques of two different style super popular bags, I was told they didn't have it when I asked a SA, but 5 or 10 minutes later after looked over other bags they brought, the same SA who told me they didn't have it checked on her IPAD or would suddenly "remembered" they have it!

Isn't that strange? Anyone could figure out the reason? Is LV adopting Herme's strategy (such as they would telling people they don't have the Birkin even they have one available in the store)?

Anyone has theory on that?
LV receives shipments almost daily. Maybe employees in the stockroom were unpacking and scanning newly received products and the item popped up as available in the boutique once it had been scanned.