Why would fashion forward SJP dress her son in such a horrid manner ?

Mrs. MC

Dec 4, 2007
Seriously, I can't keep it in any longer. While I will probably get slammed because making fun of children is not nice, I am really aiming this at Sarah Jessica Parker. Every picture I see of her kid, his pants are too short or he is wearing a girl shirt with white leather shoes or like sweat pants with dress shoes and a cardigan that is too small for him. I realize that she is focused on her own fashion but does she have to make her child dress like that ?

An article from H Hollywood scoop:

Sarah Jessica Parker's Son Wears Hand Me Downs

admin-RS-post-main.aspx
Sarah Jessica Parker may be a hardcore fashionista on Sex and the City, but in real life she's anything but. She even has her son James wear hand-me-downs.

She tells Parade that she has so many nephews, so James just gets the clothes they grow out of. "That's the God's honest truth. Plus, my mother saved all my brothers' clothes. I am not kidding. I don't think I've ever bought him any clothes. Maybe a new winter's coat…."

But she does give James the luxury of having new shoes. That must be the Carrie in her! SJP just says she wants to make sure her son grows up not being overly spoiled.

She says, "I think that if I had been raised a child of privilege, I wouldn't be the working person I am today. I think it's incumbent on my husband and me to really stress and to show James Wilkie by example what it means to owe your community something and that he is not entitled to the benefits of our hard work."

They seem like such down-to-earth good parents! Take note, Jamie Lynn!

because kids grow like weeds, and she would probably be buying him new clothes every week.

why should children be stylish and ultra trendy for? Most don't care what their mother's dress them with.

I don't think that SJP dresses her son like that to be cruel. I guess she just doesnt see the need to drop $500 on an outfit.

wow, tough crowd!

i think he looks adorable here, like a little man. you're suggestion that his mom doesn't give a crap what he looks like or even wants him to look ridiculous is really judgmental and harsh IMO. kids his age LOVE to dress themselves - my own 3 year old son is very picky about what he wears. maybe she's allowing him freedom of expression and not turning him into a mini-me fashionista - something that a certain mrs. cruise seems hell bent on doing to her child, i might add.

anyway, i say give the kid and his mom a break. he's a cutie pie. :yes:

admin-RS-post-main.aspx

I've never really noticed how he dressed until this thread. In pictures, he looks like a typical little kid-no big gold chains, no big insignias, etc. He's a kid, not a fashion prop for the paparazzi. If she is dressing him in hand-me downs then I applaud her. In interviews she has said that growing up poor taught her that money, no matter what you have can be taken away from you or lost at any time so I believe that she can be frugal. What a cute little guy!

Well being a mother I always make sure my kids look better or at least as good as I do. You can by second hand clothes that fit or are gender appropriate especially if you are a multi-millionaire. I hardly look perfect but my kids do when we leave the house. Kid's have no control over how you dress them. I would never send my son to school in a shirt with pink flowers all over it and sweat pants from 1974 that is right above his ankles with shoes from someone's first communion. I guess I was just wondering why she doesn't at least make her son look presentable. I didn't say he wasn't cute. Thank you for posting that article, I now have the answer to my question. She doesn't think that her son deserves to look good yet because he doesn't make his own money yet so when he "earns his keep" then she can start dressing him normal while she wears $1,000 dollar shoes and $4,000 dollar dresses. the proverbial "straw" was the picture in this weeks Star magazine. I have noticed this all along but this picture just sent me over the edge so I was seeking the answer to the big question "why"

Last edited:
I don't find a problem with hand me downs, especially for small children who grow so quickly! I also appreciate them for reusing clothing...reduce, reuse, recycle.

probably because he's a child and she doesn't want to make him wear uncomfortable clothes or anything he doesn't want to wear...i insisted on wearing the same pants every day for like a year when i was 7...

I agree with the OP. The kid is always disheveled. I don't spend a ton of money on my son's clothes but they always look good - you can shop at Target!! I call it taking pride in my children. I don't think dressing a child is the most important thing in the world but I do like my kids to look decent - it's a reflection on the parent in opinion. I dont' think your post is cruel by any means. I think the kid could use a haircut also.

i agree with the op. The kid is always disheveled. I don't spend a ton of money on my son's clothes but they always look good - you can shop at target!! I call it taking pride in my children. I don't think dressing a child is the most important thing in the world but i do like my kids to look decent - it's a reflection on the parent in opinion. I dont' think your post is cruel by any means. I think the kid could use a haircut also.
thank you !

I think it depends. When my cousin was young ... between 1-7 years old ... she had a lot of really nice clothes! But she was also very stubborn and always, always preferred to dress herself. Each time I would visit her family and we were going out, she would pick the weirdest combinations and the most beat-up clothes. We always tried to provide her with options, but she just put on a tantrum and then it takes forever to leave the house.

But now she's a teenager and loves to dress. She's actually quite fashionable and chic. It's really strange and also fun to see how she dressed as a child and the nice outfits she puts on now.