Why won't Chanel show us what is available??---frustrated!

manana

O.G.
Oct 4, 2007
It seems that unless you are in the store and see a certain color or style (apart from the classics that are always available) you will not have a chance to know about it. Their website just offers a few samples but it is not really representative of what selections are available in boutiques. Does anyone know why they make it hard for us to find something we love? I know they want to remain exclusive but even Hermes lets you look at what they have and buy online. Cartier makes you exert some effort with their "request information' icon but at least you get to see what Cartier is offering, much more. Even Vuitton now lets you see everything. In this economy it would make sense in my opinion to make it easier for us just to see what they have, so we can fall in love with something and then buy, but there are MANY bags that, had I not looked on TPF, I would have never even known existed, such as cute reissue colors and flap seasonal colors.

Ok I will stop:smile: just wanted to know if anyone has any insight about this. So many of us live far from any boutique so it makes it difficult to know what is out there.

Wouldn't you say part of the fun is finding out what is available? I certainly do. I don't feel frustrated. In fact, I am often surprised by items shown to me by my SAs which I have not seen elsewhere!

^ I suppose, but when you're tearing everything apart trying to find it, I find it annoying. I wish Chanel would just sell their items online already, you can still have that exclusive feeling if you only have five of each item or something like that.

I so agree with you- it is very frustrating to see a bag that you adore and have been into your store 3-4 times and not know about it until it is gone becasue NM did not order it in red or Nordies only got it in jumbo or Saks ordered it but only bought it with Silver hw- it is like a mad frustrating process that in the end is deaming and unsatisifying to me- I too would like the option to get on line and see what the season has available and make my choices based on what was made not what I can find.

I would say the pictures on the website are usually quite representative of what are available in the shops, not every single item, but you get a pretty good idea. Besides, if you have a good SA, usually he or she will send you pictures of what are available. There are tons of SAs in US doing this kind of mailout. Also, there's the purseforum with tons and tons of info and pictures.

We don't have this kind of service in Europe or Asia. We go to our boutiques and check out what are available. If I am in France, I sip my espresso whilst checking out all the gorgeous items my SA produces in front of me.

The only time I would agree to online shopping are customers that live far away from a Chanel outlet. As I said, those SAs that do mailout solve the problem.

If I am in France, I sip my espresso whilst checking out all the gorgeous items my SA produces in front of me.

Hey M,
Seriously, they let you bring your beverage inside the boutique?? I am soo surprised 'coz in the States, they will say "Miss, can you plz finish your drink or plz leave your beverage on the tray" (there's this BIG tray full of Starbucks...lol).

I do understand the frustration of having to call around and ask who gets what every season. My guess is that Chanel wants to be more exclusive, if you are a frequent customer, you will be notify by your SA of the most upcoming arrivals kinda thing. Perhaps, they just don't want to become LV where every single piece iis listed online and available for immediate order, the mass production strategy. I say with the help of our fellow tpfers, we pretty much get 1st hand news. Esp., N's spy pics which i've always enjoy and so many lookbooks postings. I must admit that I rely on tpf as a resource. :tup:

Hi Manana, I understand your frustration. It's a pain having to buy one item only to see another that you like more, but wasn't aware of, because your local boutique didn't carry it. But on the other hand, one of the reasons I love Chanel is because it is more exclusive (at least IMO) than other brands like Gucci or LV where you see their bags EVERYWHERE. The hunt in itself for the perfect size, color, style, etc... is what makes every eventual buy so much more gratifying and precious. That's why TPF is such a valuable resource for me too! :P

I agree with you Manana. If it weren't for this post, I would have no idea what extent was available. The nearest Chanel boutique to me is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away and I only recently decided to drive there. In addition, the boutique is located in Neiman Marcus, so only certain items are purchased by their buyers. And try to hope for the right size and color of hardware in the handbag. This applies to jewelry too. I love the CC Army tags but don't think that NM is carrying the line.

I would prefer that they would post all the listings. They could even do it in black and white. I would still go to the store to check out the colors and designs.

Wouldn't you say part of the fun is finding out what is available? I certainly do. I don't feel frustrated. In fact, I am often surprised by items shown to me by my SAs which I have not seen elsewhere!

I get this, but to be fair, there are many people who don't live near a boutique or store that carries Chanel so I can see where that would be extremely frustrating.

I agree kirk, they should at least list what leather/color combinations they have this season online. I disagree about the website being representative at all. The bag I just bought was listed nowhere online, I didn't even know it was being produced until I called around.. and got placed on a waiting list that was 33 people long for one item! Got on thaaaat bandwagon too late.

I agree it would be nice if the website would list all the sizes / colors / leather choices each style of bag comes in. It would make it easier for those not near a store. And though I am near stores - it would be nice to have the complete season's offerings on the website. I know that is why they have the trunk shows, etc., etc...but would it be too much for Uncle Karl to have his IT guy load up all the details and options for us.:rolleyes:

It is sooo frustrating. I only buy one or two "major" bags each season....so it makes me crazy to be sure that I have seen all or most choices so that I do not buy one and then a month later see one that I would have liked even better. I was just saying this to my SA the other day. Good customer service would be to make it easier to see all of the options. Eg: a more thorough and well organized look book!