Why some birkin's locks are wrapped with leather?

Miracle

Sep 30, 2006
I just found some birkin's locks are wrapped with leather. I wonder it that special order?

Any one knows? :girlsigh:

Handybags

Make It Work
O.G.
Nov 4, 2006
Hi Miracle,

I think you'll find the exotic leathers (croc, lizard, ostrich) and white bags have the covered lock.

I think they're delightful.

Loony

Purple Love
Oct 25, 2006
UK
I got the impression that this was the case only for exotics and white white bags. Presumably because those would be the most susceptible to damage/markings caused by metal locks. I'm not an expert though so might be wrong.

Miracle

Sep 30, 2006
I saw a girl with a red epsom birkin with gold lock which is wrapped with red leather today.
I woder is that special order.

Loony

Purple Love
Oct 25, 2006
UK
Perhaps. Or maybe she bought the lock separately from ebay or something? I have also seen fake Birkins with leather-covered locks as well.

Grands Fonds

Alive and Kicking
May 29, 2006
No - you can special order a covered lock in any colour. It's usually done to either protect exotic leathers, or to protect pale leathers.

my Beige Kelly has a covered lock, and it's certainly real!

perlerare

@ORANGEDAILY
O.G.
May 20, 2006
EUROPE
www.7rueparadis.com
I just found some birkin's locks are wrapped with leather. I wonder it that special order?

Any one knows? :girlsigh:

Exotics, White leather , Parchemin leather ....come originally with covered locks.

You can have your lock covered anytime by Hermes. It is a service they offer. I do not know how long it could take, though.