Why so many Birkins available on the resale market?

Jun 16, 2007
Hi All,

Is it just me or do the resale sites (i.e., Rebagg, Real Real etc) seem to have an inordinate number of pristine Birkins for sale? Not complaining...just curious as I started collecting H before these sites were available and remember how hard it was to come across one back then without a special order. Are that many people selling their pre loved items? Wonder if COVID comes into play, and people are selling bags they'd held onto for investment purposes?

Hi All,

Is it just me or do the resale sites (i.e., Rebagg, Real Real etc) seem to have an inordinate number of pristine Birkins for sale? Not complaining...just curious as I started collecting H before these sites were available and remember how hard it was to come across one back then without a special order. Are that many people selling their pre loved items? Wonder if COVID comes into play, and people are selling bags they'd held onto for investment purposes?
There was previously a similar thread here, of which you commented back here? :shrugs:

Hi All,

Hi, I agree with you. You can find any size, color or leather option of Birkin or Kelly with resellers, be it one of those well-known websites, be it IG or similar, for (more) than a double price!. Moreover, bags which are being offered are new, "fresh" from the shop and in my opinion clearly bought as investment. It is a trend which in my opinion is being strongly caused by current development which made many Hermes shops have to close and people are forced to find different ways of acquiring them.

I feel like the luxury markets in general have changed significantly since the second hand stores become a lot more accessible and acceptable. Back in the days it was expected you would not/ should not recycle clothes for money. In other words, without the second hand stores, those luxury items remain a true consumption goods, as supposed to be goods that could generate values after being used. So demands remained relatively small, and only amongst a certain group. But now, with a click of a button you could send your old bags out and new money comes in. As a result the luxury goods have become more of a commodity as supposed to be a true luxury consumption. So yeah, to answer your question: “ Are that many people selling their pre loved items? ”, there are, and they will continue to do so.

Hi All,

TheRealReal had a ton of incentives to consign luxury bags (and maybe specifically Hermes) in the run up to a Christmas. I wouldn’t be surprised if Rebag or other places did, too. They wanted to pad their inventory for people looking for Christmas gifts.

The New York Times had an interesting piece a couple of weeks ago discussing how people are still buying designer bags during the pandemic (of course, those who can afford to do so).

I think there is a difference between people selling bags they no longer want / use - I agree that if that is the case listing / consigning around the festive season would be a good idea. But, what I think the OP is commenting on, is the amount of brand new bags that are being listed for sale.
It seems to be that more people have been considering / getting into reselling H bags and that this is something that has been exacerbated by the lockdowns which have made it harder for many people to shop in store and possibly fed up with chasing inventory on H.com.
For example, the wife of one of DH’s friends has been talking about creating a ‘little resale side-business’ leveraging off her existing SA relationships and that lots of people are doing this and make a few grand per bag. It makes me super cross. It’s profiteering and completely unethical.

I think there is a difference between people selling bags they no longer want / use - I agree that if that is the case listing / consigning around the festive season would be a good idea. But, what I think the OP is commenting on, is the amount of brand new bags that are being listed for sale.
It seems to be that more people have been considering / getting into reselling H bags and that this is something that has been exacerbated by the lockdowns which have made it harder for many people to shop in store and possibly fed up with chasing inventory on H.com.
For example, the wife of one of DH’s friends has been talking about creating a ‘little resale side-business’ leveraging off her existing SA relationships and that lots of people are doing this and make a few grand per bag. It makes me super cross. It’s profiteering and completely unethical.

Completely agree. It seems unlikely for any new regulations against these resellers to happen via legislation (at least in the US). Currently if you buy something you have the right to resell it. We can however talk with our wallets and refuse to purchase from resellers.

Reactions: Vln and Ania
There was previously a similar thread here, of which you commented back here? :shrugs:
Sorry maybe it's just me but I don't really understand the question. When I look at resellers' sites, I see a lot of Chanel, LV etc bags for sale too. This is what a reseller is for, no? To have many bags for sale?

OG has a valid question. There seems to be a rather large number of H bags - and I think there has been for a while. Its not just a xmas thing, the same high number of H bags all year round. So it always surprises me that there are threads on looking out for a H and being on a waiting list???? LOL why when there are literally SO many sites selling them. So this is the reason for the thread i believe, why the waiting lists - there are so many bags on the resale market.

Ok, I get your point. There are 106 Birkins for sale at TRR and 14 of those are 2020s. It does seem like more than I remember when I was looking 18 months ago. Unscientifically, my gut says maybe 30-35 more. What seems like noticeably more is current year models. I don't have any idea why there are more total and more current year. Has to be either more sellers or fewer buyers. But why, I have no clue.

I feel like the luxury markets in general have changed significantly since the second hand stores become a lot more accessible and acceptable. Back in the days it was expected you would not/ should not recycle clothes for money. In other words, without the second hand stores, those luxury items remain a true consumption goods, as supposed to be goods that could generate values after being used. So demands remained relatively small, and only amongst a certain group. But now, with a click of a button you could send your old bags out and new money comes in. As a result the luxury goods have become more of a commodity as supposed to be a true luxury consumption. So yeah, to answer your question: “ Are that many people selling their pre loved items? ”, there are, and they will continue to do so.
I totally agree. I started using luxury handbags as a teenager and never remembered such a robust second hand market as it is today. I feel it’s totally changed the game today.

If such side business people are found out, do they get banned by H store?

Reactions: Lavendera