Why should I join facebook?

CoffeeAddict

May 15, 2007
I'm a tech savvy person but I still haven't joined Facebook and I'm wondering if I'm missing out.

Only one of my friends uses it, and to be quite honest I don't have any desire to get in touch with people from high school. At all. So I would not be using it for that either.

Is there any other reason to join? I really don't have a clue what it does other than help you find people from your past. Anyone care to enlighten me?

I joined a month or two ago. Like you, I'm tech savvy but resisted joining and honestly, I could very easily close my FB profile and not miss a thing. Most of the people I "chat" with on there are people I see on a day to day, or maybe month to month basis anyhow, so it really serves no purpose. The few that I rarely see...hmmm...well it's nice to catch up, but once you have then well....I don't know. It certainly hasn't won me over.

One thing I do like about it is tPF is on there and there's some good info - it might be worth it just for that! :tpfrox:

I'm tech savvy, but I simply don't "get" things like twitter, facebook, or MySpace (or even instant messaging). I don't understand what the appeal is and I know I am a target demographic (late 20's). I don't have accounts at any site like that. I don't see why people like it- I don't think what I do hour by hour or minute by minute is interesting enough to post online and really don't want to read what on old college/grad school friend had for dinner, etc. But, that is just me. I think a lot of people like all the details, maybe?

I don't have a desire to talk to people from high school either, aside from the 3-4 girls I keep in touch w/ via e-mail.

I think you are a fan of the social networking sites or you aren't.

It's just a way to share pictures, videos and keep in contact with friends. Not all your friends on Facebook may be from high school. Families that live far from each other might use it. Or perhaps emailing is replaced with Facebook. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

Actually, the only social networking site I find somewhat useful is Myspace because it gives a good look at new and upcoming artists, or just indie music.
There are a few artists that I have been able to keep track of through Myspace and I am very thankful I did because for a long period of time, my musical taste was limited to them. Basically, that's all that I really care for.
I do have a facebook, BUT it's like, pick up the phone... and call me! don't tweet me, or facebook me.. do it the old fashion way.
or IM me or something. :P And it's even more ridiculous because I am part of the target demographic.

(Oh, but I love to creep on people's facebook pictures. Especially people I haven't seen in a while. I'm a curious one.)

you are not alone! I'm in 20s and always joke w/my friend myspace/FB/tweet are like younger version of cupid.com-finding friends based on look more than anything :rolleyes: Like OP, I still like email, ping, or msn better than social network sites.

Twitter can be useful for sending mass messages or updates, so if you and your friends are planning a get together and the venue changed, you can send out a tweet and all your Twitter friends will be informed at once.
Facebook, it's similar as it's a way to organize events and friends all via one site. You don't need any of it, but it makes like a bit simpler sometimes.

i don't think you're missing out on anything. the only thing i regularly do on FB is play games when i'm bored lol. i don't FB stalk or anything like that...i don't see the point in keeping up with 1000 peoples' lives if you're not close enough to pick up a phone and chit chat or hang out in person.

It's just a way to share pictures, videos and keep in contact with friends. Not all your friends on Facebook may be from high school. Families that live far from each other might use it. Or perhaps emailing is replaced with Facebook. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

Agree. I joined FB last November at the invitation of two friends. Now, everyone in my office is hooked on FB! But, I've been able to reconnect with high school and college friends that I haven't seen or heard from in years. I've even had lunch/dinner with a few FB friends that I've reconnected with and hadn't seen since high school/college that happen to live in my area even though I moved away from my home town.

Granted, sometimes the status updates can get tedious - I don't need to know what someone is doing every 5 minutes! LOL! But, I do have family, co-workers, and old friends on FB, so it's nice to see their photos/videos and reconnect with them.

But, be careful with who you allow to see your FB info/photos. I keep the "friends only" setting set up for everyone/everything on FB, so I don't have my friend's friends looking at my stuff on FB.

FB can be a time sucker.... but again, I do like to look a photos of friends and chat with them once in awhile!

I agree. I don't have a myspace or a twitter, just facebook. I have friends that are in different states for school, and this is how we keep in touch with each other. Its definitely not for everyone.

I'm not a big Facebook person either, but my friend in Germany kept nagging me lol. I didn't like the high-maintenance aspect of it. When I first joined, I felt like I had to beautify my profile, upload pictures, but really it's not necessary. For me it's just an online address book. It can be useful sometimes. If you're not in the mood to write an email, you can just scribble something on a friend's wall. And it's easier to organize events/parties. And if you do want to find someone you met once and forgot to get down their contact info or something, it's likely they're on Facebook. I met someone at an airport who happened to go to the same university as me and we completely forgot to exchange numbers. Facebook came in handy!

Last edited:
I use FB for social networking and LinkedIn for professional networking. I just joined FB a few months ago and am so glad I did. Sometimes there's a little overlap between the two, but both have been super helpful for me reconnecting with people, especially right now since I'm full-time job hunting!

BTW I have aunts and uncles in their 70s and they are on it so they can get pics of their adorable grandkids all the time who live cross country...what's not to love about that?

-It´s like a modern version of an adress book to me. I have the list of the people I want to keep in touch with.
-We share news, how we are, photos
-It replaced the traditionnal email in a better way. You can msg several people and create just one thread where everyone replies. Each person has an avatar.
-It´s easier to organize an event, party, something...you create a page with all infos and invite people on it !
-You can also post videos, music etc...
So that´s only if you are a social person and like to keep in touch with more than 5 friends.
I didn´t like myspace as it was complicated to set up a page, comfusing, ppl were putting awful graphics that hurt my eyes. and I only received invites from random artists wanting to promote themselves.
I want to communicate with my friends and this is easier and cheaper than the phone, (I still phone my closest friends) and better than the email.