why set a reserve if...

Apr 27, 2010
Just saw this on an auction.

Bidding started at $10, up to $15.50.

There is a reserve on the auction, which I understand.

But reading the product description, the seller says
"RESERVE SET AT ONLY $150.00!"

Why set a low bidding price with reserve, then list the reserve? Why not start the bidding higher if you already told bidders the lowest price you'd take was at ten times the bidding price?

Maybe the seller wants to draw attention to the listing by starting low, (with a reserve) and that way the item gets multiple bids...and items with lots of bids seem to get more attention.

I don't know why sellers do this. I just list the item at the lowest price Ill take and let the auction go from there. Reserves are way to expensive, and I have found reserves seem to turn bidders off.

Maybe the seller wants to draw attention to the listing by starting low, (with a reserve) and that way the item gets multiple bids...and items with lots of bids seem to get more attention.

Yes, but if you actually say what the reserve is in the listing, doesn't that defeat the purpose? The idea is that folks will bid because they think the reserve will be low because the starting bid is so low. That's why sellers will often say: "Low reserve."

I do agree with others that a reserve, no matter how you do it, is a huge turn off. I won't bid on something with a reserve on it.

Yes, but if you actually say what the reserve is in the listing, doesn't that defeat the purpose? The idea is that folks will bid because they think the reserve will be low because the starting bid is so low. That's why sellers will often say: "Low reserve."

I do agree with others that a reserve, no matter how you do it, is a huge turn off. I won't bid on something with a reserve on it.

I hate reserves unless sellers list the price in the description..
I don't have time for guessing games..

I thought reserves were done to lower Ebay fees?

I've never taken this route, I don't know for sure...

Yeah that is what I was trying to say, I'm bad at explaining what I meant I guess.

I don't mind reserves though I've never bid on an auction with one, but if you list what the reserve price is, why not just start the bidding there? I might be in a minority of people who read the full description but anyone can see the lowest price the seller will accept, what is the point in bidding $15.50 if you know the seller won't take it until $150?

They probably want to get the buyers to keep bidding until they hit the reserve. I agree with setting the auction as low as you would go but it also doesn't start a bidding war since it's not $1.

Yeah that is what I was trying to say, I'm bad at explaining what I meant I guess.

I don't mind reserves though I've never bid on an auction with one, but if you list what the reserve price is, why not just start the bidding there? I might be in a minority of people who read the full description but anyone can see the lowest price the seller will accept, what is the point in bidding $15.50 if you know the seller won't take it until $150?

Even if they know they're not meeting the reserve, some people will bid in hopes that the seller will either lower the reserve, or offer the item to them for a lower price if the reserve doesn't get met.

Reserves can be a turnoff.

If its an item I really want, I contact the seller to see if they are willing to disclose the reserve.

There was a dress that had a reserve of $199. I bid anyway knowing it was more than what I wanted to pay. It was listed twice as the reserve was not met. I was the highest bidder both times and the second time, I bid less. The seller ended up selling to me at $110 through second chance.

The same thing happened with a Chanel bag I purchased.

hmm thanks for the insight guys! The second chance thing makes sense I guess and to a point, winning the bid even if it doesn't meet the reserve in hopes the seller will give it to them anyway is alright, I have just never seen this before and was a bit confused.

Also, auctions don't show whether reserve is met when you just do a straight search for items. So on the search results you might be like "Oooh, an XXXX for only $10.50!" and click on it. So it gets more traffic for your item. The fact that the seller is disclosing the reserve is probably trying to make people who would usually be turned off by reserves to stay and bid on the item.

it costs less in ebay fees to start the auction really low - that's why i start mine low and put a reserve on them.

i always set reserves and i state what the reserves are