Why SA is mean and how they get the job ?

Honestly... it makes no sense to me. I have been treated HORRIBLY by Hermes SA's and then impeccably. I cringe at certain H stores, but have gone into that one recently and was treated really nicely by a new gentleman. He showed my mom all sorts of bags, and told her not to buy a pair of sandals she was looking at because they are uncomfortable. He set her up with a different pair. But until he found us, the first 2 SA's completely ignored us, not even a hello. AND I said we needed help!!!!

Power trip is right for some of them... some are great though. But I think maybe some SA's feel like they hold a lot of power, being an SA at a very high end store and having quite a bit of clout on people buying bags. So it seems to be a power issue :shrugs:

Honestly... it makes no sense to me. I have been treated HORRIBLY by Hermes SA's and then impeccably. I cringe at certain H stores, but have gone into that one recently and was treated really nicely by a new gentleman. He showed my mom all sorts of bags, and told her not to buy a pair of sandals she was looking at because they are uncomfortable. He set her up with a different pair. But until he found us, the first 2 SA's completely ignored us, not even a hello. AND I said we needed help!!!!

Power trip is right for some of them... some are great though. But I think maybe some SA's feel like they hold a lot of power, being an SA at a very high end store and having quite a bit of clout on people buying bags. So it seems to be a power issue :shrugs:
Bravo to your Mom for skipping the uncomfortable sandals. I've been known to actually buy shoes I know will torture and then inform my friends we will have to cab it - even if I have to cover the charges! LoL Ahhhh shoes :love:

:back2topic: I wish I knew the deal. I've walked in quite a few stores, shoppes, and airport stops. Its funny, each time I've been ignored I strolled over to scarves and been very interested in colours and such, and they always walk over with a smile and a "Can I help you?" even if their smile says they don't mean it! After some genuine interest and perhaps a compliment or two (ok, I'm shameless!) they usually warm up.

With the exception of one brutal, nasty H shoppe in the NM in Washington, DC. I've put more than one rant on these gals on the shopping forum :cursing:. WOW, are they nasty. And the funny thing is, I usually walk in looking like a million bucks! With an H bag! I stroll through on business and usually only have a few choice minutes, but still.

Only a french, dark skinned gentleman with an exemplary knowledge of H has ever even acknowledged me. He told me some H history, and then snapped at an S.A. who was rude to me (I speak and undertsand French but keep that to myself to hear what they really think) when I only asked the price of a box KP in the display. I could have died. How sweet, to think of me first! He told her she should'nt be nasty to an obvious longtime customer who asks a fair question... and he said it in the less-than-respectful french grammar and tone. Then he turned around and smiled at me like he just told her a recipe for anana crepes. I was blown away!! :tup:

If any lady is in Neiman Marcus in Washington, DC and has a moment to stroll through... DO LOOK THIS GENTLEMAN UP... I beleive his tag said he works in menswear, too, but I did not get a name. He is a wealth of Hermes history knowledge as he used to work for 24. Cool, huh?

As for being "aloof" it is not good customer service
In MY opinion, aloofness isn't necessarily bad customer service, as I explained in my post, so therefore, not everyone agrees with your statement that it's not good customer service - I for one think it's fine. Just quietly, I'm sick of the falseness of "HIYA! How're you DOIN' today??" BS that is misinterpreted as GOOD customer service in most industries.

Give me genuine service from an aloof person than BS from a grinning fool anyday.

Liberté;4146287 said:
No you're not. I've, except for once or twice, received extremely good service in most luxury brand stores, never bad service at Hermès. However, I don't expect the SA to be all over me when I enter, smiling and "being sweet". Sometimes when I read some of the "I'm being ignored" threads, it makes me wonder what was really going on, and maybe a little initiative from the customers would've been in tis place too. I come off as pretty aloof myself (at least people keep telling me), maybe that's why I don't take it as offensive.

:yes:

ilovemylife, I think I had that SA in Florence as well!! :yucky:

My husband wanted to buy me an Raisin Ostrich Birkin he'd seen in the window during a walk and brought me back to see it. When I said no she threw her pen on the forms that she had started filling out. In all fairness my husband had already given her his credit card and she thought it was a done deal, but I really didn't care for the bag and said so at the last moment. Her anger was palpable. I told her I'd prefer a nonexotic leather and the SA standing next to her whispered to her that they had a black Birkin in the back but she said "NO! No other options!" Thrown pen and a big huff and sigh out of her. We left without buying the RTW pieces that we'd had our eye on. Her loss, but I have to admit that her tantrum ruined my shopping experience that day.

Thankfully other SAs in that store have been very cordial.

Oh my God!!! :wtf: that is mortifyingly horrible service by any standard. I'm sorry you had to endure that!

Hello All,
I think every SA are trained to be courteous, polite, knowledgeable and friendly to everyone but in reality, someone's day could affect someone' mood too.
Interestingly, it is really common that men are treated more politely than women. I guess because we are more picky and choosy... needs patience ...LOL... however, the SA in Japan are extra-ordinarily polite because they culturally bound with that kind of norm....irrashaimase.... is everywhere even the elevator will say it ... :okay:

The SA I talked to in BH was the sweetest woman. I walked in the store after having been traveling for 6 hours, and was using my cheapo Nine West purse. Very helpful and even offered to go look to see if they had a lindy in the back for me to see even though I wasnt going to be buying anything.

Now that is what I call good service and what I expect from SA's in boutiques :okay:

The only H store I've been in is the Bal Harbour one in Miami. There is one girl there that I really like. She's young and very cool and friendly. But most of the SA's are really very aloof, which drives me NUTS! Because if I'm going in there to spend soo much money, I want nothing but super nice service, all.the.time. My boyfriend HATES Hermes because he went there once to buy me 2 scarfs for a past birthday and he could not stand how aloof his SA was. He took it as her thinking "oh whatever, this is ALL your buying"? lol Now he will not go near an Hermes store. I agree, some are very nice and some are not. But like I said, at this kind of level of shopping the SA's should be super, super nice %100 percent of the time. Just my 2 little cents. :smile:

Important question ... Megs, did you or did you not wear your Kelly Longue when you were treated nicely?

My best experience with H has always been in France, although happily now I've found a more localized location that I can visit.

Yes, it is somewhat of a power thing, working in a luxury store that is way ahead of their competition and knowing that they have the power to hand out coveted items. That said, only a person with brains the size of a pea thinks this is any big deal. My SA is great btw. :yes:

When I walked into any store and sensed that I'm getting the cold shoulder, I just leave, not in any mood to get into a confrontation and ruin my day. I like SAs who allow me to shop in peace but I would like them to acknowledge that there is a customer in the store, e.g. 'Hello, please do let anyone of us know if you require help of any kind' and really that's all that needs to be said. I don't want someone following me around and I don't want an over cheery SA either, because then I wonder if they can be discreet or do they tell the next customer what I've bought etc. I want a discreet, polite and professional service and in return as a customer, I appreciate their time and thank them kindly for it.

With respect to training, not all SAs get training, only the ones that the store director is willing to send. And sometimes with a small store, it is almost impossible to work around their schedules. That said, training for all SAs is absolutely de rigueur.

While there are some impossibly rude SAs, they are also some impossibly rude clients. I've seen how my SA has to suffer through some clients' scarf, bag returns, etc. As I was waiting for her 1 time, she was showing a lady some agendas, the lady said, 'Is that really the best you can do for me? This is really crappy stuff.' and without a thank you she left the store. When I asked her what happened, my SA told me she stood there for 2 hours and show her agendas after agendas including refills but everything got dissed and my SA got scolded for products that were not up to 'snuff' according to that client. Now that, is truly a client from hell.

As for that Florence SA/cashier, I would have looked at her straight in the eye, take my card back and said in the lowest possible voice: 'I won't be requiring this anymore, thank you for your time.' And I would just leave and happily spend my money elsewhere. ;)

Give me genuine service from an aloof person than BS from a grinning fool anyday.

That reminds me, My family and i went to a restaurant for dinner to celebrate my father's 50th. The waiters there all walked around in 10 minute intervals with fake smiles asking each table how they were enjoying their meal. (and i know the guy was keeping watch because he kept looking at the walk clock and every 10 minutes he did a round.) But the worst offender at the restaurant was the manager, we asked to be seated on a table with a better view, as soon at a table left, she walks over with a Prozac smile wiping across her face and announces to the table how extremely lucky we are that this table left. then she proceeds to yippee. Maybe I'm too cynical but i wanted to pull her RTT locket from her throat and bang her one on the head.

so true! actually i do not want any sa to kiss my tush ( actually i am more appaled by that) what i want and think that this is a normal thing to require is assistance,willingness to show me things and above all real and true answers to my questions. if you can not answer my questions(what is not a bad thing at all noone knows everything) then puleeze say so or say that you need to check but bullshitting around and giving info that is truly false is what bugs me the most.
ah and if you have a bad day suck it up (and do not let it out on the customer that treats you with the respect not only you but every human beeing deserves) like we all do, or next time I am having a bad day i´ll be back