Why Prada and Miu Miu?

Miuccia Prada is for Prada as Coco Chanel is for Chanel. She conjured up a quirkier, girlier line under the label Miu miu (which i think was a childhood nickname). So yes, they are under the same fashion house. :smile:

The Miu Miu line of Prada is younger, trendier, hipper, more casual, and usually less expensive. These excerpts below are from a Women's Wear Daily article in 1993, when Prada launched the Miu Miu line...
---------------------------------------------------------

Miuccia Prada, who's called Miu Miu by her friends, is no doubt meowing all the way to the bank. Prada says the Miu Miu idea came out of some wishful thinking.

"It's funny really," the designer said. "One day there were several of us in the Prada factory and we were talking about changes in fashion and what people want. We were thinking that people are bored with evident luxury and that they want to go back to the time when small boutiques were very hot -- like at the end of the Sixties, when people liked to discover things.

"We started thinking of all the things we would want and somebody said, 'Let's do it.' So we did. And in one month we had a new line."

Prada says the line is based around the idea of artisans, so it includes handcrafted looks in natural colors and materials such as leather, suede, cotton and wool, sometimes with rough finishes. Several pieces will remain in the collection season after season, with subtle changes in colors, fabrics or styling, while other pieces will come and go.

"We want to leave the same spirit, but people do need newness, so there are changes," she explained.

How do Miu Miu and Prada coexist? "Prada is more the concept of luxury, while Miu Miu is based more on immediate needs" she said. "Simple, easy basics, things that you don't have to think a lot about."

Part of her inspiration, she added, came from her own wardrobe, which includes pieces she has hung on to since she was a teenager.

"For me it's like a revival," she said. "It's old looks that I really love, made new."

My 10 year old did a written report in school on Miuccia Prada(LOL!)..so I learned a ton about her line and why MIU MIU was formed..Very interesting,Except that PHH was a tad pissed off that I got her into Prada.....HA!HA!HA!