Why only confirmed addresses?

laurarvt

O.G.
Jan 13, 2007
I'm selling a bag on ebay, and someone sent me a question that they have a military address, and if i could send the bag to their parent's house where they are staying this summer. They have 37 positive feedback. Is this a bad idea?

You won't be covered by Ebay/ PP if you send to any other than confirmed address. If they pay by USPS (only) money order and you cash it at your post office before sending the pkg, that would be OK to send to other than confirmed address. Lots of scams happen this way and you will be out your money and your item.

The only time I would do this is if it is a low priced item. I live in two cities during the year and sometimes ask sellers to ship to an address that isn't confirmed during the summer. However I only ever ask if the item is a very low price so that their risk goes way down. I would look at it this way---if absolute worst comes to worst and something were to go wrong, is this an amount you could live with losing? If so you can take the chance. If it's too high of an amount then I wouldn't do it.

You won't be covered by Ebay/ PP if you send to any other than confirmed address. If they pay by USPS (only) money order and you cash it at your post office before sending the pkg, that would be OK to send to other than confirmed address. Lots of scams happen this way and you will be out your money and your item.
You are covered if you send it to unconfirmed addresses. Ebay only requires that you send it to the address provided (one that matches their ebay/PP accounts) and that there is tracking. If the auction isn't covered by seller protection, it'll say so on the transaction page.

Basically.... sending it to a random address the buyer provides over e-mail... Not covered.

Sending it to an address on the transaction page even if it's not confirmed... you're covered.

^^Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but quick question. How can I add an additional address to my paypal account that I can have sellers ship to and still be protected? I really do not want to have to change the address on my cc or bank account to do this though. Is there an easy way to do this? Much thanks!