Why, oh why do people have this *need* to breed their pets?

kristie

"H" is for horses?
O.G.
Oct 10, 2006
OK, HUGE apologies in advance if anyone is sick of this kind of topic...I am really not writing this to incite argumentions, etc on here. I am doing it more because I just want to get it off my chest because it has been really bugging me for the last few hours ESPECIALLY after reading the poem that Pink Cupcake posted.

So, I drive up to the bank today and park my car in the front. I look over to my right and there is a man around 40ish in his car obviously waiting for someone in the bank. When I looked over, I noticed he had an adorable Chi girlie (she had a pink harness on) in his lap and she was looking out the window. I rolled down my window on the passenger side and told him his Chi was adorable and that I had one too, loved the breed blah blah blah.

He said he had gotten her from his friend's friend who bred them for "fun." I bit my tongue because it really is not my place and is none of my business how and why he got the Chi.

What he said next is what irritated me. He told me he had recently gotten a male Chi as well. He said he went to a FLEA MARKET and saw a cardboard box of chi puppies that some random guy was selling. The random guy was also selling used/junked AUTO PARTS as well as the puppies. The guy had written "Chihuahua Puppies $75.00" on the friggin box according to this guy I was talking to.

Guy in the car said, "For seventy five bucks I bought a male chihuahua from the flea market guy so I can breed the male chi to this one (pointing at the female in his lap)."

I was so annoyed but all I said was, "Oh, I thought she was your pet." He told me they wanted to make money off of her puppies!!! I nicely just told him that not neutering or spaying a female or male dog greatly increases certain kinds of cancer, etc. and I also said, "Wow, but there are already so many puppies out there, good luck with whatever you decide."

I was seriously just plain sad and annoyed at this whole situation and the disturbing fact that there are thousands of other people just like him. I did not say anything rude or act bi$&hy because it would have done no good at all. I was nice and went about my business.

It just makes me sad, especially after that tear jerking poem.........that is all.

I can't understand at all why people think breeding dogs is a harmless bit of "fun".:tdown: Don't they know how many thousands are put down every year? It really makes me mad to see our newspaper at the weekend full of cute little cross breed "designer" puppies such as maltese/bichon etc and people selling them for $500+ when it's obvious they are only out for a quick buck.:cursing:
Personally I think if petshops/classfieds etc are allowed to sell live animals then it should be mandatory for those animals to be desexed first. ( unless you are buying for show reasons and it is from a registered breeder.)

This is why I don't talk to strangers, too many crazy people out there, maybe a head nod but otherwise I keep moving

On the mention of crazy breeding though...
One time while eating at an outdoor table this lady stopped to pet my dog and said "Oh I have a boy shih tzu, is your fixed?" :huh: what kind of question is that to ask - I should have responded back with a "Where's your breeder's license?" lol

Oh my gosh Kristie that must have been so frustrating!

I can't help it, either -- I always have to say something when people are that ignorant.

What is wrong with people?!

If someone really wants to breed their dog, I extend this challenge to them:

Go to your local Humane Society or pound. Walk up and down the rows of cages and stare into the sweet, beautiful eyes of all of the dogs.

Then explain to yourself WHY IN THE HELL you would want to add to this problem.

For every puppy that you sell, you are taking away a home for a homeless shelter dog.

RESCUE RESCUE RESCUE RESCUE RESCUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADOPT ADOPT ADOPT ADOPT ADOPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or at LEAST buy from a REPUTABLE breeder who cares about their puppies and where/who they go to...and is well-versed in animal health care and knows the genetics, etc. of their breeding animals.

Kristie, I totally agree. It saddens me to hear ppl say they "want to make some money off" their animals. But, the human race is a greedy bunch. I think I will go re read Animal Farm, just for fun.

i hate that people do this... every doggy my family has gotten has either been from an animal shelter or the pound for this reason, though the pet store puppies are always so cute(but so expensive!)! :P

Ugh, don't even get me started! This drives me crazy! I just don't understand it.

Anyone else a member of Freecycle? I'm ready to remove myself from the list, because so many people seem to have problems with spaying their dogs. And with understanding that puppies need to be with their mothers for more than a month. One time I contacted someone letting them know that 5 weeks wasn't long enough, and she flipped out at me and told me she knew what she was doing and acted all insulted. lsadjflskjdflsjdflkjds

:cursing: :noggin: :bagslap:

My boyfriends little sister has a friend whos parents bought her a male and female Chi to breed for money. I guess as a sort of business venture, they got the two dogs from another girl who does the same thing. Unbelievable. His sister wanted to buy one of the dogs and said "they are only $300". I said that you shouldn't have to pay $5 for unregistered inbred puppies from a 16 year old!

its people like this that ruin breeds as they become trendy. dalmations were trendy and all these backyard breeders got into it and look at the high deafness rates.

great danes were trendy and now there are people trying to pass off what are really genetically defective dogs (blue merles) as "trendy" and breedable when if you breed these dogs you will have physically defective pups.

chihuahuas and maltese and all these tiny dogs are the trend right now and we have these people who know nothing about the standard etc that are going to dystroy these breeds and it will take responsible breeders years to undo the damage.

thankfully most of the legit ways to obtain a pet (breeder, rescue, shelter) will either spay for you or require spaying if the animal is not going to be shown.

Breeding animals for 'fun'. For who? Sure as heck isn't the dogs. He sounded like he was proud that he got the male chi for 75. And who's to say that they are pure? Animals are already over populated as is. I just don't get it either. Do humans have babies for 'fun'??? :cursing:

What???? I was going to breed my 2 chi's just for fun. Come on they are so cute!!!!

Oh wait my male is fixed and he is gay (true West Hollywood boy). So I guess I am out of luck. Oh darn.

ugh. sometimes I feel like Bob Barker- I"m the "Spay and neuter your pets please" spokesperson. It angers me so freakin much! Especially with rabbits, dogs, and cats (the top three overpopulated overbred pets!). This is why I boycott pet stores that sell either of the three animals.

Oh wow. Just for "fun" isnt even the word for a dog you dont even care about! People dont think things through. Im not against breeding, Im against 99% of the PEOPLE who breed, and their reasons.

What???? I was going to breed my 2 chi's just for fun. Come on they are so cute!!!!

Oh wait my male is fixed and he is gay (true West Hollywood boy). So I guess I am out of luck. Oh darn.

:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao: LMAO oh wow, that was hilarious.