Why, oh why do people have this *need* to breed their pets?

I hate people who breed their pets too just to make $$$. I agree it is so sickening. I have never bred any of my animals because;
#1 I would have to make sure all babies got a very loving home (which means I’d probably end up keeping them all). I would never want to contribute to the overwhelming number of unwanted animals out there who are being killed for no reason other than being “unwanted.” It’s so heartbreaking.
#2 Sometimes mothers have complications during pregnancy and could die. I would never want to put my dogs in risk of that. It’s not worth the risk and I love my babies so much.

I have two female pugs and one male. They would make adorable puppies but all of them got fixed the second they were old enough.

My coworker has an 8 month old bulldog. He says he is going to breed him. :sad: I have explained the consequences to him but it doesn’t even seem to phase him. He thinks just because he is a bulldog he will be able to get a lot of money from the puppies. Grr.

These greedy people are infuriating. They are the same people that resent getting regular vet care for their dogs because it cuts into their profit.

It also bugs me when mommies want to teach their kids about the facts of life, so they want the dog or cat to have a litter so little kiddie can experience "the miracle of birth". Maybe this goes back to hippie-era thinking that everything natural is wonderful and should be celebrated.:rolleyes: Unfortunately, not as much thought goes into what to do with the little miracles when the lesson is over.

I think in the states there must be a huge over population of dogs,where I am from yes there are shelters but I have to say it was a huge regret I did not breed my Daxie as she would have loved to been a mum,If and when I get another daxie and I think she will make a happy mummy I will breed her and keep a pup...Sorry I know that this is not what you guys think but you are very luckyto have great places where you can get older daxies ,chis etc...Please dont be cross but I just had to put my opinion inand I am a huge animal lover and if I go down this route I will be a responsible breeder..My probelm here is actually trying to find a daxie...:crybaby:

where I am from yes there are shelters but I have to say it was a huge regret I did not breed my Daxie as she would have loved to been a mum,If and when I get another daxie and I think she will make a happy mummy I will breed her and keep a pup

Probably the wrong thread to post this in considering this is an anti-breeding thread so IDK.............:s I mean, you wrote EXACTLY the same thing that I was upset at this guy about. Sometimes it is best to just not post at all KWIM??

Not trying to be mean.......but how on earth do you "know" your dog wants puppies??

I hate people who breed their pets too just to make $$$. I agree it is so sickening. I have never bred any of my animals because;
#1 I would have to make sure all babies got a very loving home (which means I’d probably end up keeping them all). I would never want to contribute to the overwhelming number of unwanted animals out there who are being killed for no reason other than being “unwanted.” It’s so heartbreaking.
#2 Sometimes mothers have complications during pregnancy and could die. I would never want to put my dogs in risk of that. It’s not worth the risk and I love my babies so much.

I have two female pugs and one male. They would make adorable puppies but all of them got fixed the second they were old enough.

My coworker has an 8 month old bulldog. He says he is going to breed him. :sad: I have explained the consequences to him but it doesn’t even seem to phase him. He thinks just because he is a bulldog he will be able to get a lot of money from the puppies. Grr.

I hope he does his research, bulldogs have a HUGE amount of health issues and sometimes breeding them isn't as easy as putting a male and female together. You should let him know that if he plans on breeding naturally instead of using AI, his bulldog could possibley die from heat exhaustion or heart issues.

I have a female bulldog, and you would be amazed at the people who say to me "you could make so much money":Push: I had one guy tell me I ruined her (by having her spayed)because he had a male and they would make perfect puppies and lots of money. It made me sick to my stomach :yucky:

This is why I don't talk to strangers, too many crazy people out there, maybe a head nod but otherwise I keep moving

On the mention of crazy breeding though...
One time while eating at an outdoor table this lady stopped to pet my dog and said "Oh I have a boy shih tzu, is your fixed?" :huh: what kind of question is that to ask - I should have responded back with a "Where's your breeder's license?" lol
If I had $1 for everytime someone asked whether I wanted to breed my Yorkie I'd have a massive bag collection. People are crazy, they think they're doggy matchmakers or something.

I don't think it's wrong to want to know what the puppies would look like if you bred your dog. I don't think it's wrong to wonder if your dogs puppies would be just as wonderful and beautiful as their parents.
What I think is wrong is when people don't see the difference between being curious about what a litter from your dog would be like, and actually breeding your dog.
What's even more sad is when people do it for reasons such as making a profit, teaching "the lesson of birth" (both posted earlier) or just doing it without putting any thought into it whatsoever (which is what it seems most people do).
It makes me a little sad that after I neuter my shiba inu puppy I'll never know what his babies would look like, but it makes me immensely happier knowing that I can let him run around a dog park without worrying about him getting another dog pregnant. I can feel responsible for not contributing to a serious problem that's only growing with the lack of or miseducation of people who are breeding irresponsibly.
I'm sorry if this didn't come out as eloquently as I'd have liked it to, and please don't hate me for being curious about what my pup's pups would look like, I'm not going to breed him.
:nogood:
Simply, what I'm saying is that I understand the want to know (which I know is only one of the few reasons people breed) but everyone should know that your precious pooch is better in the long run if you get it fixed, and you'd be doing a big disservice to the puppies by bringing them into the world and not knowing what to do with them.
I know this is a little off-track from the original post, but I also disagree with breeding for money, wholeheartedly.
:tdown:

I personally think it's terrible to breed your dogs or cats just for the heck of it. My aunt's neighbor did that and she wound up giving the dogs away b/c she couldn't take care of all of them. She has 6 children already. I think she was extremely stupid for doing that. She should of realized that when you put a male and female unfixed dog together, there is a possibility they will mate. There are so many homeless dogs and cats that need a home plus you don't know the animals' blood lines either ( when it's just a random litter that's being bred for the heck of it).

I think in the states there must be a huge over population of dogs,where I am from yes there are shelters but I have to say it was a huge regret I did not breed my Daxie as she would have loved to been a mum,If and when I get another daxie and I think she will make a happy mummy I will breed her and keep a pup...Sorry I know that this is not what you guys think but you are very luckyto have great places where you can get older daxies ,chis etc...Please dont be cross but I just had to put my opinion inand I am a huge animal lover and if I go down this route I will be a responsible breeder..My probelm here is actually trying to find a daxie...:crybaby:

I seriously hope that you read this thread thoroughly...especially my 'challenge' to those wanting to breed their dogs on the first page of this thread.

Go to an animal shelter/pound, walk down the rows of dogs (many of whom will be put to sleep in a relatively short time frame if not adopted).

THEN try and justify breeding you dog and taking away homes from the dogs who are in the shelters/pounds.:tdown:

I seriously hope that you read this thread thoroughly...especially my 'challenge' to those wanting to breed their dogs on the first page of this thread.

Go to an animal shelter/pound, walk down the rows of dogs (many of whom will be put to sleep in a relatively short time frame if not adopted).

THEN try and justify breeding you dog and taking away homes from the dogs who are in the shelters/pounds.:tdown:

Agreed. And just to further clarify- this is for ALL animals- not just dogs!

:tup:

1.I don't think it's wrong to wonder if your dogs puppies would be just as wonderful and beautiful as their parents.
What I think is wrong is when people don't see the difference between being curious about what a litter from your dog would be like, and actually breeding your dog.
What's even more sad is when people do it for reasons such as making a profit,2. teaching "the lesson of birth" (both posted earlier) or just doing it without putting any thought into it whatsoever (which is what it seems most people do).
It makes me a little sad that after I neuter my shiba inu puppy I'll never know what his babies would look like, but it makes me immensely happier knowing that I can let him run around a dog park without worrying about him getting another dog pregnant. I can feel responsible for not contributing to a serious problem that's only growing with the lack of or miseducation of people who are breeding irresponsibly.
I'm sorry if this didn't come out as eloquently as I'd have liked it to, and please don't hate me for being curious about what my pup's pups would look like, I'm not going to breed him.
:nogood:
Simply, what I'm saying is that I understand the want to know (which I know is only one of the few reasons people breed) but everyone should know that your precious pooch is better in the long run if you get it fixed, and you'd be doing a big disservice to the puppies by bringing them into the world and not knowing what to do with them.
I know this is a little off-track from the original post, but I also disagree with breeding for money, wholeheartedly.
:tdown:

1. I agree, I would love to have 12 little bulldogs just like my Bella running around:P But I wouldn't breed a dog for that reason either

2. I missed where that was posted earlier. I tell people at the training center when they mention that, if they would like to teach their children the "lesson of birth" then they also need to go to the shelter and teach them what happens when the dogs become overpopulated or "the lesson of death".

1. I agree, I would love to have 12 little bulldogs just like my Bella running around:P But I wouldn't breed a dog for that reason either

2. I missed where that was posted earlier. I tell people at the training center when they mention that, if they would like to teach their children the "lesson of birth" then they also need to go to the shelter and teach them what happens when the dogs become overpopulated or "the lesson of death".

OMG your post was so right-on!:tup:

Seriously gave me chills.:sad:

Oh wait my male is fixed and he is gay (true West Hollywood boy). So I guess I am out of luck. Oh darn.
Awesome:lol:.
I think in the states there must be a huge over population of dogs,where I am from yes there are shelters but I have to say it was a huge regret I did not breed my Daxie as she would have loved to been a mum,If and when I get another daxie and I think she will make a happy mummy I will breed her ..
:wtf:I can't believe that post.
Not trying to be mean.......but how on earth do you "know" your dog wants puppies??
Exactly.
I had one guy tell me I ruined her (by having her spayed)
I hate people.
It makes me a little sad that after I neuter my shiba inu puppy I'll never know what his babies would look like, but it makes me immensely happier knowing that I can let him run around a dog park without worrying about him getting another dog pregnant. Simply, what I'm saying is that I understand the want to know (which I know is only one of the few reasons people breed) but everyone should know that your precious pooch is better in the long run if you get it fixed, and you'd be doing a big disservice to the puppies by bringing them into the world and not knowing what to do with them.
I agree. Also, I want to see pics of your Shiba puppy! My boyfriend's got a Shiba (from a rescue), and I was looking them up on Petfinder after reading the "How Could You" thread the other day..and there are so many that need adoption. I'd love to adopt us an army of Shibas.:love:

THEN try and justify breeding you dog and taking away homes from the dogs who are in the shelters/pounds.
:tup:
My aunt & uncle would breed their cats (a Persian and a Himilayan) and sell their non-purebred offspring for money. They did this for years & I think one of the cats ended up dying, and the other ran away. They then got teacup Chihuahuas, and last I knew were doing the same. I hate them.

I hope he does his research, bulldogs have a HUGE amount of health issues and sometimes breeding them isn't as easy as putting a male and female together. You should let him know that if he plans on breeding naturally instead of using AI, his bulldog could possibley die from heat exhaustion or heart issues.

I have a female bulldog, and you would be amazed at the people who say to me "you could make so much money":Push: I had one guy tell me I ruined her (by having her spayed)because he had a male and they would make perfect puppies and lots of money. It made me sick to my stomach :yucky:

I have explained all of the consequences and he doesn't seem to care. I also believe he bought his bulldog from a backyard breeder so he won't be bettering the breed at all. :tdown:

His bulldog is so cute but its gross to see his huge balls dangling behind him.