Why Louis Vuitton needs Richard Prince

I find the Prince collab. to be the most intriguing so far. Goddamn Marc Jacobs has one hell of a fun job. A great fun article about the RP/LV collab below..

Some Richard Prince Google images-find images y'all may find interesting.
Nurse-paintings amongst them, as well as one illustration that was directly incorporated into one of the bags we've seen.

f06pco1j.jpg

"Tender Nurse," by Richard Prince,
inkjet print and acrylic on canvas, 75 by 103 inches, 2002

prince_nurse.jpg

Mission Nurse
2002 Ink jet print and acrylic on canvas
70 x 48 inches

PRINC32731.jpg

Abstract
Acrylic on canvas
198.1 x 167.6 cm
©Richard Prince

1168990822Ca7cc4.jpg

Can't Read, Can't Write, Can't Swim, 1989
Acrylic and silkscreen on canvas, 75 x 58 inches, Astrup Fearnley Collection, Oslo

1989_kawara_group_prince_n.jpg

On Kawara 1966-1988

artbook_1916_18740389-714344.jpeg

Richard Prince: Jokes and Cartoons
FORMAT: Paperback, 8.5 x 11 in. / 216 pgs / 107 color.

Richard Prince vs Louis Vuitton
Condé Nast Portfolio.com

Little did I know, when examining Richard Prince's success in the art world, that he would become the latest artist to be swallowed up by the Louis Vuitton machine. He's in illustrious company – Vuitton has worked in recent years with highly sought-after artists such as Olafur Eliasson and Vanessa Beecroft. Interestingly, however, both of those artists maintained more of an arm's-length association with the brand, showing largely self-contained artworks within the context of Vuitton's stores. Prince, by contrast, has gone down the same road as Stephen Sprouse and Takahashi Murakami, and has actually helped design handbags for the French fashion house. And Lauren Goldstein Crowe is not impressed.

Me? I kinda love it. Eliasson is a blandly corporate artist who specializes in making beautiful objects: he fits right in to Vuitton shop windows. Beecroft is an Italian fashionista extraordinaire whose imprimatur is much sought-after by fashion houses. Sprouse and Murakami are self-promoters who jumped at the opportunity to burnish their own brands by advertising themselves all over Vuitton handbags. But Prince? Prince is edgier, and more subversive. And in that sense he has a very similar attitude to that of Marc Jacobs back in his grunge days. Lauren is shocked:

The bag he chose to give to selected front-row editors was particularly bad. When my friend opened hers we laughed out-loud.
Because they were done by an artist, they are supposed to be ironic. The ghosted logo, the shiny finish are supposed to make it look like a bad Chinese fake. I don't know where they were made, but the smell they gave off was pretty powerfully toxic. So the option of these editors giving them to their daughters for dress up is out of the question -- lest they risk damaging their children's brain. But irony in bags is a risky road to take. Design really expensive bags that look cheap? How easy for a fashionista to do one better and just buy the real fake.
I'm not sure that ironic is really the mot juste. The way I see it, Prince is attempting to do for high fashion what he already did for high art: change the very criteria by which quality is judged. Prince's great achievement in the art world, the thing which made him one of the most important artists of the post-War(hol) era, was his idea that he could appropriate mass-market iconography and simply by declaring it to be high art, make it so. Here, he's doing much the same thing with handbags.
If you want to make a fake Richard Prince, it's easy. Just take a photo of a Marlboro ad, blow it up, and frame it. Done. I imagine that Prince is quite tickled that one inevitable consequence of his designing Vuitton handbags is that there really will be lots of fakes on the market pretty soon. In fact, I fully expect him to collect as many of those fakes as he can find, and I daresay that he might even start appropriating them and turning them into genuine Richard Princes by decree.
In a way, Lauren has put her finger on exactly why this collection might be much more interesting than the average handbag line: it takes aim at a crucial support of the entire fashion industry, the distinction between real and fake. In some ways, the fake Richard Prince bags will be more real than the genuine ones, which can after all only ever pretend to be fake. This is of course very troubling for the fashion industry – that's the whole point. So congratulations to Marc Jacobs and Richard Prince for knocking the fashionistas a little off kilter. In the grand scheme of things, it will only help to improve Jacobs's iconoclastic reputation, and the fashion world will start to enjoy the frisson it received last night. So, as in any good fairy tale, everybody wins in the end. Even the Chinese counterfeiters.

Thanks for posting labeladdict! It was an interesting take & I do see a point in what the author is saying. I'm not crazy about the Prince/Jacobs collabo for SS 08 but, I do know it got lots people are talking about it (whether they like it or not).

That certainly keeps LV relevant & personally makes me curious about what they'll come up with next. For me, that curiousity means more trips to the boutique & more of my $$$ going to LV. I'm sure the same goes for many LV lovers.

I actually like the Prince line a LOT particularly the blotching and fading of colours amongst the classic mono canvas. I like it when they play around with the classic mono canvas. This line will be hot, I predict.

I think the Prince bags will be expanded and used as the basis for the SS08 bags just like perfo, dentelle, cerises, multicolour, etc. So expect the cheaper classics like speedy, pap, wallets, etc to be made (without the exotic trimmings). Cant wait. LV please price it CHEAPER than the previous ranges!! :smile:

Thanks for the article. I love how we keep each other in the know! I am excited about the Richard Prince stuff. Like the article said, the Prince bags won't replace the current line, they will sprinkle in that "edgy glamour" that Vuitton needs! I agree. One of these Prince bags will definately need to be added to my collection.

Very interesting.............I never heard of Richard Prince. He sounds like a Warhol knock-off with his concept of taking something everyday and declaring it art. Warhol did that decades ago.

For that matter, I would love a Warhol-Vuitton collaboration. Too late now.

Richard Prince is one of my all time favourite artists. His images have been used in the liner notes and cover picture of a CD by Sonic Youth, which is where I first saw his "Nurse" line. My DH and I looked into aquiring some Richard Prince original art... imagine our surprise when we found out it went for $400,000.00+ !!! Yikes.

At least a Richard Prince bag is affordable...