"Why 'It' Bags are Out" Wall St. Journal 1.26.08 article

Very interesting article!

The housewives that they quoted, especially the first one, really rubbed me the wrong way. She implied that certain purses have lost appeal to her because 'anyone' could get them and they were no longer exlusive. She seems to say that if the 'little people' and the 'general unwashed masses' could get a certain purse, then it wouldn't be good enough for her.

I guess purses make me happy, and I don't really care who else has them. I know that I bought my Chanel and LV with my hard earned money (not a sugar daddy that buys me 20 purses a year). And even if the spoiled little girl down the street has the same purse, it doesn't matter because I love the purses I have bought and what they mean to me.

Couldn't agree more.

Interesting. I do think there are a lot of hype bags out there. Personally I only purchase bags that speak to me. I buy Balenciaga not because celebs carry them or their price (god I wish they were less!) but because they are very "me". I've also felt this way about my YSL Muse bag. Although it's not the "hot bag" anymore I don't really care. It's me so I carry it. I also have a classic Bottega Veneta hobo - I know this is a bag I'll carry forever - but I like the look of the bag, that's why I purchased it.

Good read.

I dont buy bags because theyre the "it" bags of the season, nor do I buy bags because I see a celeb with one. Whether everyone and their mom had a bag, if I liked it I would buy it, if not then. ehh whatever ya know.

I can understand the desire of wanting to have things that arent quite as popular, but the fact that someone doesnt want something because it is popular and less "exclusive" is just snobby. IMO

Im sorry that little people like me have caused these housewives to loose their interest in some designers, oh well too bad for them.

Marni at TJMaxx? Yes! I live in a small midwestern city (<50,00) and have seen Marni more than once at TJM.

I didn't know what the brand was. It sure looked out of place amidst the KVZ and Baby Phat!

this :

"I felt like, 'Gee, all these bags are so attainable by a lot of people that everyone's carrying around that bag,' " says Ms. Weisburd, a 59-year-old homemaker who lives in New York City. "I wanted something that was more exclusive."

what makes the prices of bags rise and rise and rise....

The price are arbitrary just like the price of black pearls (gray) was long ago established; irrational but behind it all there is a rational (irrational) why people are willing to pay so much and it is call an anchor.

I found Marni quite a while back - I bought the Balloon bag I loved from the Marni Boutique in N.Y.C - then I went to L.A. and visited the Marni Boutique on Melrose Place and bought a signature neckace. (I have never seen a Marni in any discount store and would be greatly surprised to). I unfortunately DID see an identical knock off of my bag in the window of a "Forever 21" shop - That horrified me and I'm off to find a new designer. Once they start the big time knock offs, the thrill is over for me.

Attachments

• Marnie right size.jpg
    Marnie right size.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 61