Why is the Birkin so much more expensive than Kelly -- supply and demand?

tokyogirl

Keanu!
O.G.
Jan 22, 2006
What makes a Birkin so much more expensive than a Kelly? To be frank, I don't really see why there would be any cost difference between a Birkin and Kelly. The leather, harware, workmanship all seem pretty comparable.

Is it simple economics -- Birkins are more in demand so H can price it higher?

For one thing, the Birkin has two handles, the Kelly only one. And from what I've read, it takes a craftsman about 18 hours to construct a single handle. Also, the Birkin's cut is a bit more intricate.

I'm sure there are other details that I've failed to mention that cause it to take longer to make.

OH but I must add that some prices don't seem that far off. I think someone on here said an ostrich 32cm kelly is about 11k-13k. A 30cm ostrich birkin is not TOO much more expensive.

I was just thinking about this last night!! I was looking at both and thinking WOW! A $2K difference! (Souple Swift 35 Kelly vs. Togo 35 Birkin).

After looking at the details of each I came to the conclusion that yes the birkin is more intricate in construction. The closure and flap is a good example of this.

It also looks like a bigger bag/more leather. I love my kelly but I really look forward to receiving my kelly in clemance. The sift leather has given me a bit of a headache..it scratches and I get a bit paranoid!

nathansgirl1908 said:
OH but I must add that some prices don't seem that far off. I think someone on here said an ostrich 32cm kelly is about 11k-13k. A 30cm ostrich birkin is not TOO much more expensive.

These are the prices as I remember from asking my SAs:

2005:
Souple Ostrich Kelly 28cm - $10500
Souple Ostrich Kelly 32cm - $12600
Ostrich Birkin 30cm - $12000

2006:
Souple Ostrich Kelly 28cm - $11000
Ostrich HAC 28cm - $12000
Souple Ostrich Kelly 32cm - $13000 (SA wasn't sure)
Ostrich Birkin 30cm - $12700

I would have to agree with much of the above...costs in construction of the bag (time/materials/labor/intricate), size of the bag, demand/popularity may warrant a bit higher mark-up, and maybe just a marketing technique as well.

Nice info. Kou...thank you

Ladies, thank you for the information. Kou, the pricing information was very helpful.

I guess the price difference gap is more apparent at the reseller/used market. The reseller/used market for a Birkin is usually much more than for a comparable Kelly.