Why Is Selling Not Allowed Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aem1470

O.G.
Mar 26, 2007
I don't have any bags to sell nor am I looking for any bags to buy. I read the rules for the forum and I understand buying and selling isn't allowed here but I was just curious if anyone could direct me to anything that explains why it isn't allowed?

Hope this isn't a forbidden question. I didn't see anything explaining it (but could have totally missed it). I really am just curious because as I've gotten aquainted with the forum over the last few months, it seems like a lot of women buy pre-loved and sell bags often and having a separate forum for that would be kinda cool.

Again in no way trying to start an uproar or anything. Just looking for education on the subject. If this is not appropriate, please remove/delete. Thanks.

I am a newbie and this is a good question. I have noticed on some ebay listings that people refer back to this forum as proof of good faith. Thought that was interesting.

I sort of wish we could, that way being all TPF'ers, we could buy with confidence from another forum member. I'm sure then the authenticity of the bags wouldn't be in question.

There is (or at least used to be) some sort of buying/selling/trading "club" here on TPF that I've heard only random bits & pieces about. As far as I know, you have to submit an an actual application for membership (you should be able to find the application link somewhere here on TPF). You also have to meet certain very specific requirements. For instance, you have to be an active member for "x" number of months/years, have "x" number of posts, etc. Your application has to be approved as well. I've heard the process is VERY selective.

Scammers would just come here and sell fakes easier and then the tPF owners would be drawn into the mess.

ITA. I wish it wasn't the case but I understand why tpf forbids it. Can you imagine the number of scammers flocking to TPF and disgruntled tpfers? It would be a disaster! Megs and Vlad were smart enough to forbid buying and selling on this forum IMHO.

I sort of wish we could, that way being all TPF'ers, we could buy with confidence from another forum member. I'm sure then the authenticity of the bags wouldn't be in question.

Sorry, I'm gonna have to step in here and say that this isn't exactly true.

I am confident to say that there are a number of people on here who've signed up to scam people. These days, there are lots of fakes going around, and sometimes they are so well made that the general public won't have a clue if it's authentic or not.

Just because we are members of tPF, it doesn't mean that all of us here are hoenst people.

If you take a look at eBay, there were (and may still be) MANY sellers stating that they were "proud members of tPF" only to have their auctions reported and cancelled because they were selling fakes! tPF is a well known forum to many bags and accessory loves on the internet, so it is a "good marketing scheme" for sellers to be able to sell their fakes.

In my opinion, I think the whole non-authentic issue is why I believe there are no buying and selling here. Plus, I don't think Vlad and Meg don't want to be held responsibility, if anything goes wrong.

I absolutely love tPF, but I would most definitely be careful of purchasing anything from anybody. By doing your research in advance, you can minimize the chances of you getting in unwanted trouble! However, that being said, I have dealt with many tPFers who've sold things online and they had some gems (such as discontinued models, limited edition items, etc) that I would have never been able to get anywhere else! :smile:

Anyways, what I wanted to say was, the so called "proud member for x number of years" really, may not mean anything. Of course, I know many of those who are, and to those who I've dealt with, I thank you for being honest!

I am confident to say that there are a number of people on here who've signed up to scam people. These days, there are lots of fakes going around, and sometimes they are so well made that the general public won't have a clue if it's authentic or not.

Just because we are members of tPF, it doesn't mean that all of us here are hoenst people.

If you take a look at eBay, there were (and may still be) MANY sellers stating that they were "proud members of tPF" only to have their auctions reported and cancelled because they were selling fakes! tPF is a well known forum to many bags and accessory loves on the internet, so it is a "good marketing scheme" for sellers to be able to sell their fakes.

In my opinion, I think the whole non-authentic issue is why I believe there are no buying and selling here. Plus, I don't think Vlad and Meg don't want to be held responsibility, if anything goes wrong.

I absolutely love tPF, but I would most definitely be careful of purchasing anything from anybody. By doing your research in advance, you can minimize the chances of you getting in unwanted trouble! However, that being said, I have dealt with many tPFers who've sold things online and they had some gems (such as discontinued models, limited edition items, etc) that I would have never been able to get anywhere else! :smile:

Anyways, what I wanted to say was, the so called "proud member for x number of years" really, may not mean anything. Of course, I know many of those who are, and to those who I've dealt with, I thank you for being honest!

I guess I never thought of scammers intentionally joining the forum to cheat people. I just thought it would be nice to "know" where the bags were coming from. Guess I didn't think it through. I guess I judge people by myself and I can't imagine trying to pull a fast one on anyone. You're right, there are unscrupulous people out there. I tend to think of this forum as a club where we all look out for each other, but I guess scammers can "infiltrate" TPF too.

Hey!

If it was a "free for all" where anyone could join and buy or sell then we'd be just like eBay or anywhere else. We'd have hundreds signing up/day and basically spamming us.

We did have an open market before so trust me, we've tried it, it did not work! We closed it and tweaked it and allowing a few in at a time lets us better maintain a clear visual on what's going on in there {us = Vlad and Megs}
I know Vlad is working on a new feature though that will appeal to a much broader group of people. We've changed and evolved a lot over the years and we'll continue to do so. We try and make the best decisions for the majority and maintain the forum's integrity and best interest.

I agree, being a tPF member does not = ethical. We're a free to join site; scammers and spammers join here every day, we work very hard to keep it clean here and I guess it's been working if a lot of people wouldn't even think that people like that would join!

I agree really good post.
I had no idea until recently the close connection between Tpf and MP and until some newbies openly discussed it, didn't realise there was a club within a club with MP marked on the avatars. One of these newbies also revealed that she hadn't actually applied. So there are 'chosen" ones as well as applicants. I'm not a member nor likely to be after recent posts I've made on tpf. I feel fortunate to have made friendship with girls all over Europe here and can deal privately with them. I rarely have to move into eBay. You can't put a price on the trust that is earned. My last buy saw me sending hundreds of pounds abroad before the bag arrived from Sweden and the bag had actually left before I hit the bank. If MP avoids some of the selling techniques that I hate like "make me a blind offer' & "I want to get back what I paid " FGS wouldn't we all but it's pre owned now! Then fair enough.

I agree really good post.
I had no idea until recently the close connection between Tpf and MP and until some newbies openly discussed it, didn't realise there was a club within a club with MP marked on the avatars. One of these newbies also revealed that she hadn't actually applied. So there are 'chosen" ones as well as applicants. I'm not a member nor likely to be after recent posts I've made on tpf. I feel fortunate to have made friendship with girls all over Europe here and can deal privately with them. I rarely have to move into eBay. You can't put a price on the trust that is earned. My last buy saw me sending hundreds of pounds abroad before the bag arrived from Sweden and the bag had actually left before I hit the bank. If MP avoids some of the selling techniques that I hate like "make me a blind offer' & "I want to get back what I paid " FGS wouldn't we all but it's pre owned now! Then fair enough.

You bet there are chosen ones!

Whe I first joined tPF not long after it started the MP was available to me, then they changed the rules and I didn't bother applying but after a few years I decided to apply. I have tried twice now and nothing, nada, zilch not even a "thanks but no thanks" which is what I would have thought was a comon courtesy and easy thing to do.

I am aware of a number of MP members who somehow miraculously meet the requirements within a short period of time and that reeks of favouritism. I am also aware of members of the MP that really never interact with the forum, I am sure they simply visit tPF to buy/sell. The MP is a giant secret that is not supposed to be discussed between members and honestly I cannot believe that it needs to be secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.