Why is Prada uncommon?

Twin Matrix

Sep 23, 2011
Here in London every other woman and their mother own a Gucci or LV Ebene bag (99% fake, but I regress). However, I hardly ever see Prada? To me these three brands are at the very top, so I find it weird that Prada is that much more uncommon. Is it because of the lack of a 'omg look at me i'm wearing an expensive bag!' print or? Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I think it is probably the lack of monogram. It seems to me that LV, Gucci and Coach are more common over here too. I started out with LV but grew tired of basically being a walking advertisement and seeing women with the same bag every time I went to the mall or grocery store. Eventually I moved to Prada, Chloe, Ferragamo etc...I guess now I'm just happy with the design of my bags and look at the designer second. I even have a few bags that are designers I'd never heard of before, but I fell in love with the bag first. But I think , for me at least, it was a maturity thing. When I first got in to LV it was because I just didn't know any other brands. Once I learned more and found my own fashion sense I realized I didn't have to get what everyone else was getting. That's when I moved on to the other designers, vintage bags etc. Once I stopped caring that everyone was looking at my bag I started enjoying what I was getting much more. (which is ironic because that's when I stopped buying LV)

I purchased my first Prada a few weeks ago. I always had this "Prada is for older women" image which is why I never stepped foot or looked into their boutique's. I always saw mature women walk in as I walked past.

I moved to Prada when pretty much EVERY girl was carrying the same LV bag as me. I got annoyed to the point where I bought a few Chanel's just to get away from the LV fad as well. I only carry my LV neverfull if its raining or I need to carry heaps of stuff during the day.

LV still makes bags that are pseudo affordable which makes it easier for people to step into the designer handbag world. Plus they offer a huge variety of bags at different price points so there seems to be a bag for everyone.

Prada seems to be generally more pricey yet subtle, and I think a lot people want an in your face kind of bag if they are going to spend the $.

Do you think so? The prices for men's bags are equal, and sometimes Prada is even cheaper. But yeah, I see your point. Most people probably want to spend the $ to have in-your-face-richness as opposed to quality. And the fact that Prada has a more 'elderly' image, I guess.

LV bags are well-made, durable but I was tired of seeing soo many women with the same bag as mine on any given day.

I prefer the more subtle look of Prada anyway. I really like their nylon bags for those rainy day or traveling. I've finally realized that my lifestyle is really not compatible with fussy delicate bags!

Not too many people seem to carry around Prada in my area which is just fine with me!;) It's kind of cool to be the only one in the mall who is not carrying LV, Gucci, Coach, lol.

Not too many Pradas in my area either. I see a bunch of little kids wearing LV though. Kind of crazy, because I remember being a young, broke and starving student and/or YP. How do they afford them?

Here in London every other woman and their mother own a Gucci or LV Ebene bag (99% fake, but I regress). However, I hardly ever see Prada? To me these three brands are at the very top, so I find it weird that Prada is that much more uncommon. Is it because of the lack of a 'omg look at me i'm wearing an expensive bag!' print or? Does anyone have an opinion on this?
That is exactly why...Prada is like that "subtle OMG BAM in your face!" I actually just realized it myself and I am ALL over it!!!!!!!:graucho::graucho::graucho::graucho:

i get so many more compliments when i carry prada than i ever did with lv or gucci. i love how not everyone carries it either. i don't like wearing the same thing as everyone else.

I also agree w/the fact that it may be because Prada bags are more subtle because their bags are not monogrammed.

I also think it's because there hasn't really been an IT bag from Prada. I mean the Saffiano Luxe Tote as well as the East/West tote are probably the more popular styles (and gorgeous might I add) from Prada but they are still not frequently seen around as much as the Speedy, Neverfull, horsebit, etc etc designs from Gucci and LV. So maybe it's from shear lack of exposure that shoppers aren't even aware or don't really notice the Prada bags.

The price point may be an issue as well. You can still find a nicely sized bag from Gucci and LV for under $1500 but that is not the case with Prada. Many women probably figure if they are going to spend that much on a bag, might as well make the brand known.

Lastly, I think it's because Prada retailers are also less numerous than Gucci and LV. Not only are there more stand alone Gucci and LV stores in major cities, but department stores also have them too, where as Prada is not everywhere to be found.

I love this topic, if you can't tell ;) love Prada too. :love:

there are a growing number of ladies carrying around pradas these days in sydney i think mainly because of the opening of the boutique here. like others i noticed that louis vuitton and gucci especially the monogram designs scream out designer instantly which i'm not very fond of in comparison to timeless items with subtle looks. i found out from a friend the other day how much louis vuitton mark up their products the other day, it turned me off even more.