Why is Marc Jacobs a premier designer?

I think since he has eliminated his premier bag line and kept only the new diffusion line, it actually fits better in the contemporary section these days. These are purse forums. If you were talking about MJ clothing, then he would still be considered premier.

Though, I still say the MBMJ leathers and styles are premier and nothing will ever change that. :heart:

With the quality of the MJ (not to mention functionality and price point) of his recent designs, I suspect Mr. Jacobs will be making a colossal come-back very soon.

I’ve been buying LV forever, and the quality and frequent price increases combined with the “out of stock to create demand” philosophy is really tiring…….I suspect LVMH won’t notice my departure and I accept that

With the quality of the MJ (not to mention functionality and price point) of his recent designs, I suspect Mr. Jacobs will be making a colossal come-back very soon.

I’ve been buying LV forever, and the quality and frequent price increases combined with the “out of stock to create demand” philosophy is really tiring…….I suspect LVMH won’t notice my departure and I accept that

I agree with this. His leathers are miles above any contemporary designer I've seen lately. His bags may not be considered premiere level anymore, but the fabric and construction are still absolutely premiere level. His pebbled leather remains my favorite of all the ones I've tried, and stands up to some very serious abuse.

Reactions: wonderlands
I hope that he will and can make a come back. At his prime time, his talent had no rivals. Many of his older designs utilize a combination of exotic materials, patterns and a mixture of colors; they still look very contemporary even today. I suspect some of the younger fashion designers either find inspiration or simply borrow concepts from his old works. However, sadly, after he left LV, he somehow decided to commit career suicide by closing off the popular Marc by Marc Jacobs and discontinuing his then premiere items like the Stam and quilted bags. His design turned into relatively plain, simple and neutral, yet extremely expensive. He seemed to be gradually finding his way back as I see a glimpse of his old playful and colorful design patterns. He is my all time favorite designer and I am rooting for his second coming.

I've been an MJ fan forever and have kept most of my older MJ bags and still use them quite often. I wouldn't be surprised if MJ bags make a comeback and that the older bags become much more in demand. They are so nice. Nothing I see in department stores these days compares. I wear a lot of Chloe now, but I still love my MJ collection.
I hope the older MJ classics make a comeback. The quality and design is so much better from then than now. I still love to peek at my bags sitting in their dustbags and inhale the aroma of that high quality leather. mmmmm :love:

Reactions: sdkitty and JenJBS
on the other hand, we can now get those beautiful MJ Collection bags for great prices :smile:
hahah the thought crossed my mind. i don't want to tempt myself into getting MJ Collection bags (for a steal) that i already haven't been wearing :doh: But i definitely want to know who else does end up adding to their collection lol

hahah the thought crossed my mind. i don't want to tempt myself into getting MJ Collection bags (for a steal) that i already haven't been wearing :doh: But i definitely want to know who else does end up adding to their collection lol
I got a black Blake that I'd wanted for years....doubt I'll get any more but never say never......I could be tempted by something from the sweet punk line

I am guilty of adding to my collection, but I have been wearing my MJ bags a lot, lately. Between my MJ and Chloe bags, I am set. I do have a lot of other, random bags - Tory Burch, Coach, etc., but I always come back to MJ and Chloe. I have been able to add beautiful bags at crazy prices.

Reactions: maxww and JenJBS
My MJ bags had been sitting in the closet for many years. I took them out recently, thinking of donating them but ended up renewing them up with new straps/handles and started rocking them again. In the meantime, I looked at the 2nd hand market and couldn’t believe that they are selling these once glamorous bags at rock bottom prices.

His designs throughout the years are plentiful and cover almost all shapes, sizes and innovative styles; many look as contemporary as the latest fashion trends. With quality and beautiful styles that can rival top fashion houses but can be had for $100, I can’t resist but keep adding more to my collection, and some of them are limited edition. I got so many compliments on them especially the Robert Jennings.

My MJ bags had been sitting in the closet for many years. I took them out recently, thinking of donating them but ended up renewing them up with new straps/handles and started rocking them again. In the meantime, I looked at the 2nd hand market and couldn’t believe that they are selling these once glamorous bags at rock bottom prices.

His designs throughout the years are plentiful and cover almost all shapes, sizes and innovative styles; many look as contemporary as the latest fashion trends. With quality and beautiful styles that can rival top fashion houses but can be had for $100, I can’t resist but keep adding more to my collection, and some of them are limited edition. I got so many compliments on them especially the Robert Jennings.
Agreed! Nothing in my MJ collection looks dated to me. To me, they have always epitomized "Funky-chic/Luxe" - for the person that loves fashion, luxury items, but nothing over the top or flashy. I have always loved the high class vintage vibe that MJ consistently infused into his clothing and bags. I think of it as being for the person that doesn't connect with LV/Chanel type of bags. Although I admire them, it's just not my style. With MJ, I never feel like I am going to see my bag on everyone else. It's like my little secret.