Why is Louis Vuitton still desired?

F10909

Apr 2, 2015
I get it.
French, expensive, exclusive, and sexy.
But honestly the designer just does nothing for me anymore.

I can't imagine the quality of the bags are so superior that Louis Vuitton has reached a quality rating that no other designer or premium designer has already achieved.

There comes a point where design quality reaches a ceiling. What has Louis Vuitton achieved that another standard designer hasn't? Is cost of ownership and protected price points the only factor driving the company's bag success at this point?

Last edited:
i don;t have too many LV bags but i totally understand why. the canvas material is very durable and i don't have to baby it.
and i can see me using it for so many long years and even pass it to my daughter or grand daughter one day. i don't see how that works with my balenciaga bags that i love more. and they are more expensive than some canvas LV bags
i have 1 balenciaga from 2002 that's still beautiful til now but the ones from 2004 and up are juts not the same when it comes to the leather and quality of the handle

Reactions: Mariapia
I don't know about leather bags but canvas ones are durable and worryfree.
You can put them down looking for your keys and nothing will happen or you can get caught in heavy rain without being scared of ruining them
LV also releases new designs all the time.
Whether you are looking for a casual tote or a dainty purse, a workhorse or a sleek shoulder bag, you will get what you need.
I agree they are expensive but when I think of all the bags I have bought ....very few have beautifully aged.
My Speedy is one of them.

LV has a rare and distinctive history and set of associations in popular culture that it builds upon, which matters to many customers. Its designs and designers come and go, but its iconic nature persists.

Many of us have been buying it for decades; many are new to the brand. It does help to like what you see! And if you don't, shop elsewhere.

Last edited:
I don't know about leather bags but canvas ones are durable and worryfree.
You can put them down looking for your keys and nothing will happen or you can get caught in heavy rain without being scared of ruining them
LV also releases new designs all the time.
(...)

LV has a rare and distinctive history and set of associations in popular culture that it builds upon, which matters to many customers. Its designs and designers come and go, but its iconic nature persists.

Many of us have been buying it for decades; many are new to the brand. It does help to like what you see! And if you don't, shop elsewhere.

LV bags are classic, durable, have a rich history and truly stand the test of time unlike most designers

Hi!

+1 - couldn't have said it any better.

LV luggage (and quite a couple of the iconic bags) were meant to be used during a time were "luggage" was sitting on top of a horse carriage, in an non-"air-conditioned" luggage compartment of a train going for days or roughly tossed through small corridors on ships. - They weren't chic "it-bags" but means to protect precious belongings from outside influences. I already wrote it in the "What do Hermès lovers think about LV"-Thread, to me that is what LV is all about - and I love it.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Last edited by a moderator:
First, it's important to recognize that, although most people claim quality/craftsmanship is the primary reason they spend extravagant amounts of money on designer goods, the reality is much more complex. Because we all know that we can get equivalent quality and similar designs from less expensive brands.

Why do some people love Louis Vuitton? Why is the brand so popular and has remained so for decade? A combination of things, but first and foremost good marketing and smart business decisions. While they sell millions and millions of items each year, Louis Vuitton continues to make a lot of people dream! And that piece of dream, that piece of luxury, is what people really seek when they make a purchase at a high-end store.

For me, it's the variety of options. They have options for everything, so I'll always stop there if I have a need because I know they have options and I'll receive a decent quality product and customer service. I may not buy something from them every time, but given the odds, I wind up with something.

I get it.
French, expensive, exclusive, and sexy.
But honestly the designer just does nothing for me anymore.

I can't imagine the quality of the bags are so superior that Louis Vuitton has reached a quality rating that no other designer or premium designer has already achieved.

There comes a point where design quality reaches a ceiling. What has Louis Vuitton achieved that another standard designer hasn't? Is cost of ownership and protected price points the only factor driving the company's bag success at this point?

I think it's because they are more durable than other brands and also because they are reachable luxury for many people. I've owned Chanel, Goyard, Gucci and Louis and others and so far of the four Louis and Chanel have shown the best quality and durability. I will say though that I have tired of Louis. They have too many styles and they all look very similar or copy off of other designers like Chanel and I am bored with what they are offering. I think that the price point for new handbgs is also getting to be ridiculous but I feel that way about a number of handbags including Chanel and bottega veneta. Of course there is the second hand market which make these goods more affordable. I think the Louis excitement probably stems also from all those YouTube videos. The same thing has happened to Chanel and now Gucci. Frankly for me it is a bit of a turn off but that is just my own opinion.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89

Well said! I was trying to come up with the words and you nailed it.

Reactions: the_black_tie_diyer
For me LV, has been the one designer that I keep coming back to. Iconic, classic, timeless, for young, middle age and mature. The designs are ageless. LV has a 19th century look with a 21st century aesthetic.

Agree. I periodically leave lv. I love Gucci, have lately started looking st Hermes. I'm in my late 40s and now realize if I'm going to spend a couple grand or more on a bag, I want it to last and not be trendy. In the past I have sold off bags of other brands that seemed to have gotten dated. But I can pull out an old lv and it's timeless. I've been away from lv for a bit. But here I am back looking at the new bags....plotting and planning what I want.