Why is Kelly so much harder to get than birkin?

H for Hermes

Jan 26, 2012
Have been waiting for a Kelly for more than 6 months, SA offered birkin instead, and said Kelly is very hard to come by! And the 30 birkin is harder to get than 35! Is that true?

I am not sure whether kelly is harder to come by or not. But in the US, 30 is def harder to get than 35. My SA told me they only receive a few 30b in a year, but a lot(compared to 30) 35. Also, 28k is also rare.

true for the americas not for europe i think its the way they buy. that said the kelly is having a major comeback and selliers are very hard and expensive to make so much so that like the constance it will be made mostly in exotics also trends favor the kelly so at the moment you are looking for the harder to locate hermes super bag odd right !!!!! but thats H.

in all honesty 30cm is a mystery because it is mostly directed to asian markets i very much adore 30cm but for some reason 35cm is always much more available and lately 40cm is having its moment this to me is H pushing boundaries but mostly being smart about the markets and the particular needs of each region. hope it helps doll but you should now kelly production is slow at the momment !!!!

Really? My SA is forever trying to get me to buy more Kellys as he thinks Birkins are passe. I laughed when he said that.
I thought Kellys were more readily available.

I guess it's got to with something like this; when it's difficult to get a Birkin, people go for another type of bags -> Birkins are not that coveted anymore -> then those other bags became difficult to get as well, since there's more people trying to buy them -> now more Birkins available :biggrin:

Thank you girls! I live in the US and hardly spot a Kelly, the only one I saw was a 40 I think since early 2011. Store manager said she did order Kelly, but it just never came! Now I m being offer a ultra violet B 35 and 30 in gold hardware. I have a 35 in dark and a 30 in bright, and honestly speaking I found 35 is kind of heavy after filling up the everyday stuff in. But afraid 30 will look small in dark color, what do you think? I m more toward 30, but afraid it is too elegant for casual wear! Am I thinking too much?

birkel said:
in darker colors i prefer 35cm in all honesty and for ultra bright jewel tones i like 30cm

Hi, Birkel,
I know you are an expert on Hermes, do you ever see the ultraviolet from hermes? I never see one yet and wonder if it's bright purple or dark purple!?