Why is it so hard to find natural fibers these days?

papergirl38

Aug 26, 2008
I'm having to buy a whole new wardrobe because I recently lost a ton of weight woo hoo! I'm trying to buy well made pieces made with fibers that I know as opposed to polyester blends. I really like the way cotton holds up, and nothing can replace a good pair of well fitted wool pants. It just seems like all the stores are increasingly making more cheaply made stuff with cheaper material. I think this is a recession thing, because a few years ago I did not have to pour through gap for hours to find ONE 100% cotton shirt.

Also does anyone think the banana republic toggle coat is worth it for $200? It's mostly wool but does have a bit of nylon in it, however the construction of the coat is really nice and it's heavy which I like

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=40924&vid=1&pid=680783

I just went the outlet and saw last years white one, which wasn't as nice as the grey, but I just don't feel like paying full price at banana, since it's usually never worth it. I did however find a fun bright green dress there for $60 and it was silk :smile:

Aug 29, 2008
I hate this too . . . I finally got over looking for 100% cotton jeans because there are none anymore, and I'm faced with replacing my 70/30 wool/silk coat with a poly blend. But oh well. They're still cute. I'm trying not to be so snotty about it.

blackpearl

May 24, 2008
First of all, congratulations on losing all that weight. :yahoo: for you. And hope you have fun shopping for your new bod. Secondly, I am in the same boat as you are - I prefer natural fabrics, they feel nicer IMO. That said, I try to be open minded and give chance to outfits that contain some man made materials. Ofter it means that it would wear better and last longer.

As far as Banana Republic coat is concerned, it's not my style, I prefer more fitted styles, but it looks quite practical and young. There is no way I'd buy a white coat in this style, whatever money you would save upfront would go straight to you dry cleaner. Personally, I don't mind spending a bit more on outerwear, since I wear it a lot and it covers large part of my body. $200 for a coat sounds very reasonable to me but it's all relative. I don't think it's cheap for this style of a coat but I've had good experience with Banana Republic clothes so would not hesitate to buy from them again. Also be syre to check out Deals & Steals Forum for 30% off code/coupon for Gap/Banana Republic/Old Navy. It's valid November 12-15. Unfortunately, I can't post mine since it's a one time use for online purchases.

Oct 16, 2008
I'm having to buy a whole new wardrobe because I recently lost a ton of weight woo hoo! I'm trying to buy well made pieces made with fibers that I know as opposed to polyester blends. I really like the way cotton holds up, and nothing can replace a good pair of well fitted wool pants. It just seems like all the stores are increasingly making more cheaply made stuff with cheaper material. I think this is a recession thing, because a few years ago I did not have to pour through gap for hours to find ONE 100% cotton shirt.

Also does anyone think the banana republic toggle coat is worth it for $200? It's mostly wool but does have a bit of nylon in it, however the construction of the coat is really nice and it's heavy which I like

I just went the outlet and saw last years white one, which wasn't as nice as the grey, but I just don't feel like paying full price at banana, since it's usually never worth it. I did however find a fun bright green dress there for $60 and it was silk :smile:

Well done on your weight loss.

I agree that it is harder these days to find clothing that is made of a natural breathable material. Manufacturers these days prefer fast fashion where you will buy when you want by selling t-shirts for less than a £5. For the majority of us (me included) we would rather buy less tops and spend more to get a higher percentage of cotton if not 100%.

Lately I have been getting more into buying 100% organic cotton t-shirts or a mix of hemp and cotton.

brintee

Jesus, Etc.
Mar 26, 2009
Manufactured Fibers are less expensive than natural fibers are as you said. They also have less irregularities than the natural fibers do. They are used in blends sometimes to curb wrinkling/pilling/etc. and they make garments hold up better sometimes. I also like 100% natural fiber things, but there are just some items that will last longer if used in a blend. And it does really annoy me to see a blouse made of 100% Polyester priced the same as one made of 100% silk. I dont get it :shrugs:

congratulations on your weightloss! i've recently lost weight too and need to buy new trousers and shirts, etc... and I completely agree with you that there are less and less natural fibers out there.... I despise acrylic in sweaters, it makes you sweat & cause so much static, but since fall/winter season started, I have yet to find a sweater that does not have acrylic. I ALWAYS check labels before I even pick it up. I end up having to spend a lot more money on cashmere/silk blends, 100% cotton, and wool.

I agree with brintee's comment above about a polyester shirt costing the same as silk, it's ridiculous!

good luck on your search. the Banana Republic coat is cute, but try to use discount codes & if you can, wait for the sale!! Good luck!! and congrats again on losing weight!!

Sunnyday23

O.G.
Apr 14, 2011
I just looked through the new Neiman Marcus lookbook and I'm blown away by all the high end designers that use a ton of synthetic fibers in their clothes. I'm talking Valentino, Lanvin, proenza schouler, Vera wang, Carolina Herrera, dolce & gabbana etc. What in the world?!! These are not cheap clothes! And why would I pay $4000 for a polyester dress? Where are all the clothes made of natural and high quality materials like silk, wool, cotton, cashmere, etc?

I'm learning that high fashion does not necessarily equal high quality.

BridgetteRaes

Jul 8, 2013

Hi Papergirl! Congrats on your weightloss! One of the reasons is because of Fast Fashion. Have you read the book Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion by Elizabeth Cline? It is a must read! What is going on in fashion is quite sad these days. Taken from the description of her book: "Cheap fashion has fundamentally changed the way most Americans dress. Stores ranging from discounters like Target to traditional chains like JCPenney now offer the newest trends at unprecedentedly low prices. Retailers are pro*ducing clothes at enormous volumes in order to drive prices down and profits up, and they’ve turned clothing into a disposable good. After all, we have little reason to keep wearing and repairing the clothes we already own when styles change so fast and it’s cheaper to just buy more."

I actually interviewed Elizabeth Cline if you want to listen: It can be accessed on the radio show page of my website- http://www.bridgetteraes.com/media-press/radio-show/

At the moment, cotton is incredibly expensive making it harder and harder for designers and manufacturers to use it and keep the prices affordable.

I hope that helps!

ladysarah

O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
The OP is nearly 4 years old.

Hi Papergirl! Congrats on your weightloss! One of the reasons is because of Fast Fashion. Have you read the book Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion by Elizabeth Cline? It is a must read! What is going on in fashion is quite sad these days. Taken from the description of her book: "Cheap fashion has fundamentally changed the way most Americans dress. Stores ranging from discounters like Target to traditional chains like JCPenney now offer the newest trends at unprecedentedly low prices. Retailers are pro*ducing clothes at enormous volumes in order to drive prices down and profits up,!

Yes this is an old thread but its getting even more difficult to find decent clothes in natural fibres. Personally I don't even look at anything acrylic or polyester, and I am willing to buy less and pay more. If anyone has any suggestions please post....:cool:

Mar 26, 2009
Yes this is an old thread but its getting even more difficult to find decent clothes in natural fibres. Personally I don't even look at anything acrylic or polyester, and I am willing to buy less and pay more. If anyone has any suggestions please post....:cool:

I pointed out the age of this thread because previous poster congratuated on OPs weight loss. That's all.

I agree with you whole-heartily! I personally don’t like anything synthetic and refuse to pay top money for polyester! Or better still rayon! It doesn’t let your body breath and it’s hot and sweaty! That’s why I get really angry seeing top designers (Stella McCartney, I am talking about you!) selling those synthetic clothes, shoes and bags for hundreds or even thousands of pounds. If it’s against your vega principle, why does it have to be this expensive? Why don’t you lower your price so more people can buy your products therefore less people to buy animal products? It’s a total rip-off and hypercritical! Sorry rant over!

Otherwise, I am in search of a nice wool blazer in nice beige colour for a few seasons with no success! Most of them are synthetic and I am yet to come across a good weighted wool option. It's so frustrating!