Why is it older women can pull off the flashier stuff so well sometimes?

StupidLamb

May 21, 2010
I was just out shopping and hit costco yet again before Thanksgiving lol and I saw a lady in her late 60's maybe even early 70's rocking the Poppy Applique Tartan Glam tote and it looked great on her. She was dressed comfortable and casual and the tote was perfect. I am nearly 36 and I feel too old for most of the Poppy stuff like if I wear it I'm trying to "look young" but it's like once you get to a certain age it's ok to be flashier? Or it doesn't look weird? Like when I see older women with lots of jewelry and metallics on they can pull it off where as I would just look silly. Is it just me?

I am not super conservative either btw. Maybe it's just because I'm going to be 36 and I'm tripping out. lol But I have always thought this about older ladies and thought they can get away with being a little flashier.

Eh I say you are as young as you feel. I hated the whole damn Poppy line when it came out. I thought it was too young and not classy at all. Times have changed! I'm 50 and I have two glam totes and a pocket hobo and I love them.

I say if you like it....rock it!

lol! this put a smile on my face. my parent's friends mother drowns herself in jewelry...and i'm jealous bc it looks so good on her!! I usually try to tone the things I wear so I look older...people still assume I'm 14 years old :sad: SOME of the poppy stuff is...hmm whats the right word...neutral for all ages? idk! haha. props to that lady at costco tho!!

Well maybe it's just I don't feel confident to rock the flashier stuff so that's why it's not going to look right on me and I'm not going to really enjoy carrying it because of that. And here I am thinking others look great with their flashy stuff! lol I never used to be this way my upcoming birthday is getting to me! lol

I know what you mean about looking young too. Now that I'm getting older it's not such a problem but when I was in my 20's everyone thought I was still a teenager and strangers treated me accordingly which was frustrating at times!

Like I always say... (please drill this into your heads, ladies)...

"A woman can wear ANY handbag as long as she holds her head high and does not care what people think."

A white handbag in the winter? Do it.
Sequin bags? Do it.
Big a$$ metallic bag? Do it.

Don't worry about what other people like...you are the one buying the bag. If you like something, buy it and ask questions later.

I will still be rockin my sequin spotlights when I am 40-50-80 years old (If I still have them).

Don't ever let someone make you feel stupid for carrying around a certain bag.
Remember, people who carry fakes are a MILLION times worse than you carrying what society deems "too young" for you.
:biggrin:

I think you just hit the nail on the head regarding the confidence factor. Once you reach a certain age, you don't care anymore how things look to others or what others think or what the current fad is. You just wear what YOU love and with that attitude comes the confidence to pull it off.

I'm almost 45 and will still occasionally wear a clubbin' top or rock a sequin spotlight. It must look ok cuz my dd hasn't stopped me from leaving the house like that yet, LOL!

Aww sweetie, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but it seems like you're having a bit of an image crisis. I've just realized, you've never put up any modelling pictures with your bags. You really don't have anything to worry about!!

I agree with PCL! Don't worry about what other people think about you. It's really all about confidence! A lot of items become 'fashionable' because people wear them with confidence, they make people turn heads and then other people follow their lead.

Don't ever think that you're too old for Poppy or anything else for that matter! All you need to rock a bag is confidence and a great outfit to match :smile:

*BIG HUGS*

I think you just hit the nail on the head regarding the confidence factor. Once you reach a certain age, you don't care anymore how things look to others or what others think or what the current fad is. You just wear what YOU love and with that attitude comes the confidence to pull it off.

My sentiments exactly!

SLamb (I don't like calling people stupid), you don't know how really young you are! Hey, in another 5 years, I plan on being one of those ladies who wears purple with the red hats......well maybe not that combination but YKWIM, it'll be whatever I want. ;)

I am 52 as of last friday ;) And whatever handbag I love, I'm carrying, currently I'm romping around with a small Kristin hobo black patent and I sooo love it. And as for my clothes, same feeling, somedays its jeans and others its leggings with a short dress over them ;) If I love it, I'm wearing it ;)

I was just out shopping and hit costco yet again before Thanksgiving lol and I saw a lady in her late 60's maybe even early 70's rocking the Poppy Applique Tartan Glam tote and it looked great on her. She was dressed comfortable and casual and the tote was perfect. I am nearly 36 and I feel too old for most of the Poppy stuff like if I wear it I'm trying to "look young" but it's like once you get to a certain age it's ok to be flashier? Or it doesn't look weird? Like when I see older women with lots of jewelry and metallics on they can pull it off where as I would just look silly. Is it just me?

I am not super conservative either btw. Maybe it's just because I'm going to be 36 and I'm tripping out. lol But I have always thought this about older ladies and thought they can get away with being a little flashier.

I kind of feel that way and I am 36 too. LOL.

I kind of feel that way and I am 36 too. LOL.

Well at least I'm not alone. lol

I don't think feeling too old to wear a certain clothing or accessory item equates low self esteem either it just means that I want to look my age. I am proud of my age make no mistake. I do think there comes a certain freedom with getting older for sure. Like I said for many years I struggled with people treating me like a teenager when I was well past that because I looked so young. I am 5 2' ish and until a few years ago was very thin plus I had a round baby face so maybe that's why I am hung up on it now. It was very annoying to deal with. I remember one time a salesman came to the door and when I answered he asked for my mother. I told him I AM the mother! So now that I'm finally looking my age I am enjoying it! lol But it's not about me I was just observing the fact that I see older women sometimes that look so cute with their Poppy stuff. And when I say older I mean like the lady I saw today later 60's and 70's. I have seen a few lately which is why I thought of it.

I wasn't really trying to start a debate about age limits and style but asking if anyone else has notice older women really rocking the flashier styles so well without coming off silly one bit. So I think the answer is unanimous and the key is confidence and not giving a cr*p! lol

Last edited: