Why is common courtesy, not so common?

Wow, I completely understand how frustrating it can be!!! I am the biggest follower of the "treat me the way I treat you" golden rule, and people are just awful these days. You would think that it wouldn't even take that much to apply good manners, sheesh! :yucky:

I wonder...if many people anymore are so insecure and vulnerable, that they put up a tough attitude...and w/that comes their excuse to ignore social niceties? Like..."I can't let my guard down to show kindness for a minute, or I'll be hurt again"?
Don't know...whatever the reason, it is sad.
There was a big article/study that was just released and it said that this generation of college students are the most narcissitic (sp?)ever. Now, I know there are a lot of college age students on this forum...so they'd be a good group to ask...if they see this as true as well.

I know what you mean, I sent a couple of questions to 2 ebay sellers for bags I have my eye on YESTERDAY, its been over 24 hours, and neither seller has responded. And one is a PFer. Thats just rude. 24 hours is plenty of time to respond. If you cant answer potential buyers questions, you have no business selling on ebay, jmho.

So I am no longer interested in either bag. ~hmph~

I also hate it when people can't show normal courtesy! I recently started a job as a phone interviewer where we call people and ask for their opinion, and yes, I know that we can be annoying, but that gives people no rights to be rude or treat me like s***t! :mad: I ask in a polite way if they can take some time (the survey I'm working on now takes less than one minute), if people say no, I don't try to convince them to do it, but still I've gotten so many mean replies! One person threatened to "report" me because he had signed up on a list against phone SALES and then I informed him that at this stage, it's not possible to reserve against SURVEYS, but he was still really pi**ed and took it out on me. Is is really that freaking hard to say "no thanks, I don't feel like doing it"????!!! I'm just doing my effing job - would they rather that I claim welfare that goes out of *their* tax money??
I've worked there for two days, and I'm already dreading the next months since I'm gonna work more or less every day there.. gawd. I mean, they tell us that we don't know if people have had bad days and therefore is irritated because of that, but I refuse to think that 90% of those we call have just had bad days and are otherwise nice people. :rant::cursing:
/rant

Oh, and I also hate it when people don't answer mails!

I hear ya and agree that people have become so rude!

Just recently my DH had two job offers, one he really wanted a lot more than the other. He went in and met with the director and was offered the position, was told that he'd get a call the next day with a time to come in and sign paperwork. Well nobody ever called, and so my DH called and left a message, the weekend passed and he called on Monday 3 times with messages left 2 of those times. In the end my DH took the 2nd less wanted job because the director of the original one was too rude to call him back! And it wasn't a matter of the director being busy, he was just an a$$... ( i know cause i work for him LOL)

And if any of you are familiar with Craigslist, that is one gigantic cesspool of people that won't fulfill and agreement of meeting up to buy or sell something, or returning phone calls or emails!

oh I totally forgot, I *hate* it when the people at a job interview say they'll get back to you, but won't. I once travelled to another part of the country for an interview, I spent a lot of money from my own pocket to get there, and in the end they told me they'd mail me, but they never did. Honestly, I traveled far and I paid a lot of money to get there, and they knew that, so it wouldn't kill them to send a mail. By sending a mail they wouldn't even confront me personally as they would over the phone, so that annoyed me a lot. But oh well, I guess there's nothing to do about that..