Why is a Velo named a Velo?

Hi, I was texting a friend on my iPhone and the iPhone autocompleted the word VELO as VELOCITY.

Do you see what I see? Velo - City? :nuts:

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew why was a Velo named a Velo, since the other names make sense, like City, First, Day, Work, Part Time etc but Velo is not an English word, or at least not one that I can find in my dictionary.

Looking forward to your speculations, or if someone really knows why, do share!

Thank you.

Livia1

O.G.
Jun 7, 2008
Europe
Velo (from velox) in Latin can mean fast, speed etc. so it could be because of the long strap it's easier to move 'fast' with a Velo.

And in french it means Bike. And a Velo would be practical to carry when on a bike.

mandalay371

Sep 29, 2012
velo (from velox) in latin can mean fast, speed etc. So it could be because of the long strap it's easier to move 'fast' with a velo.

And in french it means bike. And a velo would be practical to carry when on a bike.
good explaination, good to learn

cat1967

Aug 20, 2011
Greece
Velo means bicycle in French. This is the reason it is worn cross body cause postmen in France used to wear bags like that and they used to distribute mail on their bikes.

eggpudding

Coveteur
O.G.
Feb 23, 2008
Cute thread :amuse: I've always wondered too - I love the sound of the word, and I really need a Velo myself!

hishappygirl

Apr 16, 2011
such a good question, and answer! thanks so much, am awaiting first velo, and have been pondering same thing :biggrin: