Why I wont be shopping online at small boutiques anymore

With online stores, I've always wondered if the bags that suddenly get deeply discounted are actually returns in not-so-pristine condition. If this is so, then should there be some sort of warning, like the "Sold as is" disclaimer?

I definitely don't think that bad service is inherent to small online boutiques. In the last month, I've had Barneys, which is neither small nor just online, inform me over a week after I placed an order that BOTH of the items I've ordered were out of stock (so what was taking so long to cancel my order?) Bluefly sent me half a bikini that I ordered, because they ran out of the bottom and only had the top. Gap.com just did the same thing to me, but I haven't actually gotten the order yet. At least they told me first, which I don't think Bluefly even did.

I will say that the big retailers do usually have better return policies, but that's understandable, since they can carry more inventory for a longer time. As several others have said, it's all about reading the policies carefully first. I'll no longer shop at shoprapunzels.com after I had to literally count off the days to them to illustrate that a return was within their 10 days from shipping date policy (and note that it's shipping date, not receipt - the stupid think took 5 days to get to me in California.)

Wow, that is appalling. I ordered a bag final sale directly from Botkier. It came scratched and they bent over backwards to get me a new one, even though it was final sale.

I guess I'll be staying away from small online retailers!

And I second that shopbop has the best customer service!

WOW... you're lucky because I am not getting the same treatment from Botkier as you. Because of my thread and the outpour of concern from my fellow tPFers, they are finally going to TACK STITCH my damaged bag that I bought 2 months ago for free but truly, they should replace my bag (even though my handbag is no longer available)... especially since I let them know I was (and still am) opposed to that suggestion.

Agree.. Zappos and E-Luxury offer outstanding customer service. Sounds like you like Botkier... have you tried purchasing direct from their website? They have e-commerce enabled it recently. I have bought a couple of bags of the Burberry site and had to return one. They had great customer service and didn't charge me anything to pick up the old one and resend the new one.

It's not always possible.. will Gryson ever offer e-commerce through their site????? ... but when I can, I like to go direct to the manufacturer. This will become more and more popular as bag manufacturers realize greater profits through direct sales.

I still like the one stop shop convenience of Zappos though.. shoes, bags, belts, etc... while I eat ice-cream in my sweat pants!