Why doesn't my date code match my receipt?

PGN

O.G.
Feb 5, 2006
This is the strangest thing. I bought an Estrela from the LV boutique-so I know it is authentic. I bought it way back in dec 2011 but my date code is SD4182- meaning 48th week of 2012 right?. I never would have noticed the discrepancy if I had not sold the bag on ebay and my buyer noticed it. Now she thinks I sold her a fake bag.

I am totally perplexed. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of mistake by LV? I would go back to the boutique but it has been several years. Since I bought the bag from LV I never even looked at the date stamp.

This really is a strange thing. Perhaps you could call Client Services about it, although I doubt the person you get on the phone will have any explanation. In the meantime you could encourage the buyer to have an authentication done on the item. Best of luck!

Are you sure you didn't ever have any issues with the bag that LV gave you a replacement? Did you sell and re-purchase another one later and forgot? Are you sure of that code.. could the 2 be a 0? I've seen date codes from slightly ahead in time but not ever THAT far ahead... very strange. It's also rare to have a misprinted date code but it does happen.

If she's unhappy you could offer a refund and re-sell later on, without the receipt. That certainly would be confusing to a buyer. :smile:

This really is a strange thing. Perhaps you could call Client Services about it, although I doubt the person you get on the phone will have any explanation. In the meantime you could encourage the buyer to have an authentication done on the item. Best of luck!

I know! It's the weirdest thing. I also doubt anyone would have an explanation at client services. I just wonder if it has happened to anyone else.

Are you sure you didn't ever have any issues with the bag that LV gave you a replacement? Did you sell and re-purchase another one later and forgot? Are you sure of that code.. could the 2 be a 0? I've seen date codes from slightly ahead in time but not ever THAT far ahead... very strange. It's also rare to have a misprinted date code but it does happen.

If she's unhappy you could offer a refund and re-sell later on, without the receipt. That certainly would be confusing to a buyer. :smile:

Thanks Ishcat- all good questions but no- no issues ever with the bag. It has been my one and only estrela. The 2 is def a 2. I'm issuing a refund and the buyer is a PFer so I hope she understands I'm wasn't trying to scam her. It's just so weird. I am going to go through an online consignment to avoid any more drama. Maybe a 4182 tab was accidentally placed in the 4181 bin??

Thanks Ishcat- all good questions but no- no issues ever with the bag. It has been my one and only estrela. The 2 is def a 2. I'm issuing a refund and the buyer is a PFer so I hope she understands I'm wasn't trying to scam her. It's just so weird. I am going to go through an online consignment to avoid any more drama. Maybe a 4182 tab was accidentally placed in the 4181 bin??

I'm with you on the online consignment choice...many times I make more than I would on eBay & the money gets paid quickly. I really prefer it.

This is the strangest thing. I bought an Estrela from the LV boutique-so I know it is authentic. I bought it way back in dec 2011 but my date code is SD4182- meaning 48th week of 2012 right?. I never would have noticed the discrepancy if I had not sold the bag on ebay and my buyer noticed it. Now she thinks I sold her a fake bag.

I am totally perplexed. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of mistake by LV? I would go back to the boutique but it has been several years. Since I bought the bag from LV I never even looked at the date stamp.
I have a similar issue, however, my date code is from 2013 and I purchased the bag from the official website a few days ago. The bag is an epi petit noe nm in ivory/navy. This is a link to the page on the website showing the bag http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/petit-noe-nm-epi-006496#M40881. What is so strange is that the bag, to my knowledge, was a limited edition combination that came out in 2013. I had been searching high and low for days on the usual trusted reseller sites looking for one and then I came across a photo of it on the eu.louisvuitton website. A few days later I was browsing the US site and there it was, available for purchase. I grabbed it and checked out. Now it just says to contact them and inquire about the bag. The eu site also has none in stock. Is it possible they found a hidden stash from 2013? I also am concerned that my 2015 receipt will seem odd if I go to resell the bag.

Last edited:

hi, I was looking into purchasing a pre-loved zippy where I noticed this same issue. Her receipt of purchase says she bought it in December 2015 but the date code is SD0116. I’m really new to LV so I am still learning to identify fake vs authentic. She states she was the original owner and she has 5star reviews on all of her previous LV bags that were purchased. Thoughts? Is this normal or is this a little risky and fishy?

hi, I was looking into purchasing a pre-loved zippy where I noticed this same issue. Her receipt of purchase says she bought it in December 2015 but the date code is SD0116. I’m really new to LV so I am still learning to identify fake vs authentic. She states she was the original owner and she has 5star reviews on all of her previous LV bags that were purchased. Thoughts? Is this normal or is this a little risky and fishy?
This doesn't sound too fishy to me. They could have been ahead in production that year. December 2015 is not too different from 1st week January 2016. I would have it authenticated for peace of mind.