Why does no one ship to Canada?

my mother still lives in Canada, and she has difficulty finding American sites that will even accept a Canadian credit card- let alone buying things on ebay & having them shipped to her house.

So, she either gets them shipped to me so I can forward things -- or has me buy them for her altogether. ;)

It is definitely easier to buy and sell within your own country. With such a large opportunity base in the US for both buying and selling I can understand why many US sellers restrict their transactions to domestic only. A smaller country like Canada just doesn't have the volume of choices. I really can't complain though - I have bought so many things from US sellers on ebay and from US online sites. I guess I've just been lucky finding the things I want from people who are willing to ship to Canada.

Hi Everyone, I know this is a little off topic..hope its ok it was brought up earlier in this thread about first class international mail not having insurance or being tracable. Hey I could be way off here I am in oz and was recently only just looking on the usps site, and it seems you can actually buy extra's for first class international mail or am I reading it wrong, I only ask as I do buy alot of things from the USA and its a cheaper alternate posting option. Thankyou for your help with this Regards

http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-international-prices.htm

http://www.usps.com/prices/extra-services-prices.htm

Last edited:
^^ There is Registered Mail, but it is costly. It is not tracking or insurance, and if you're going to pay the price you may as well pay for Priority Mail. I believe the only thing they do with RM is lock up the parcel and you get delivery confirmation.

Last edited:
PayPal Charges more for Int'l Transactions and shipping internationally is not cheap either. I guess that's one of the many reasons why some sellers won't ship to Canada.

On the other hand, I've have quite a few Canadian Buyers and I never hear them complain about the extra fees. I think they are aware of the costs for Sellers to sell and ship to their Country.

It's funny. I sell mostly to the US. Nearly always, sellers refuse to pay the required shipping, they don't want to pay for tracking or proper insurance (or expect me to do it, which I reluctantly do, as I'm the one out the money if it gets lost) and yes, they nearly always ask me to underdeclare/mark it as a gift. Since we have to go to the post office regardless of where a parcel is going, it makes no difference time-wise.

It's especially confusing to me when they are selling things that only Canadians collect - but refuse to ship here and so end up with a lower selling price than they should have.

I rarely bother to ask some sellers if they will ship to Canada. I just do feel a bit sorry for them when I see things ending for low prices because I know I (and likely other international bidders) would have ended up giving them a much better final sale price.

Hi Everyone, I know this is a little off topic..hope its ok it was brought up earlier in this thread about first class international mail not having insurance or being tracable. Hey I could be way off here I am in oz and was recently only just looking on the usps site, and it seems you can actually buy extra's for first class international mail or am I reading it wrong, I only ask as I do buy alot of things from the USA and its a cheaper alternate posting option. Thankyou for your help with this Regards

http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-international-prices.htm

http://www.usps.com/prices/extra-services-prices.htm

You can buy a certificate of mailing (which is NOT tracking) for about $10, or a registered mail option (NOT tracking) for about $11. Neither of these services is tracking per se, and they are very expensive. Basically, a parcel with certificate of mailing costs the same as a priority mail package.

p-WA

It's funny. I sell mostly to the US. Nearly always, sellers refuse to pay the required shipping, they don't want to pay for tracking or proper insurance (or expect me to do it, which I reluctantly do, as I'm the one out the money if it gets lost) and yes, they nearly always ask me to underdeclare/mark it as a gift. Since we have to go to the post office regardless of where a parcel is going, it makes no difference time-wise.

It's especially confusing to me when they are selling things that only Canadians collect - but refuse to ship here and so end up with a lower selling price than they should have.

I rarely bother to ask some sellers if they will ship to Canada. I just do feel a bit sorry for them when I see things ending for low prices because I know I (and likely other international bidders) would have ended up giving them a much better final sale price.

It is a lost opportunity for some sellers not to ship to Canada. I know that there are items that are/were only available to US but not here.

I think that "stores" are much more willing to ship internationally then individuals as I can see how they feel it is too time consuming to go to the post office.

It is a lost opportunity for some sellers not to ship to Canada. I know that there are items that are/were only available to US but not here.

I ship to Canada but I can never make a sale because most canadians refuse to accept that a trackable shipment to Canada costs just a couple of dollars less than a trackable shipment to Zimbabwe. The Canadians want their shipping charges to be similar to the US shipping charges. I simply cannot do it if they use Paypal.

it seems oddly inefficient and not in the spirit of NAFTA that I can send a sweater across the continent from WA to FL for $4.95 by Priority mail yet I cannot send the same sweater from WA to BC (three hundred miles!) for less than $22 or so.

And so, I have many inquiries from the Canadians about my shipping charges but no sales.

p-WA

I ship to Canada but I can never make a sale because most canadians refuse to accept that a trackable shipment to Canada costs just a couple of dollars less than a trackable shipment to Zimbabwe. The Canadians want their shipping charges to be similar to the US shipping charges. I simply cannot do it if they use Paypal.

it seems oddly inefficient and not in the spirit of NAFTA that I can send a sweater across the continent from WA to FL for $4.95 by Priority mail yet I cannot send the same sweater from WA to BC (three hundred miles!) for less than $22 or so.

And so, I have many inquiries from the Canadians about my shipping charges but no sales.

p-WA

I don't like shipping international, but i do ship to canada and france a few times with buyer email me ahead of time and agreed to pay shipping cost which is included insurance to full value and EMS cost. Shipping anything outside USA is expensive with EMS and my buyers have to understand that they might be billed duty fee.

I just sold something to someone from Canada and they sent a PP e-check. They take at least 8 business days to clear.

Another reason sellers hate shipping Internationally.

I just sold something to someone from Canada and they sent a PP e-check. They take at least 8 business days to clear.

Another reason sellers hate shipping Internationally.

Why did you accept it? E-checks are available to anyone using PayPal within North America. It isn't something Canadians use to annoy people....

I actually find that it is American shippers who hate shipping internationally. Most people from other countries do it. The only places I dislike shipping to are Italy (no good way to track and a lot of postal theft) and Asia (very expensive and a lot of buyers don't want to pay the shipping; understandable, given the cost.)

Yes, there are shipping charges and potential customs duties assumable by the buyer when you ship internationally. I can understand why some people don't want to or like to do it. But it's kind of the name of the game if you ship outside your country - whatever your country happens to be.