Why does my hair smell?

I like hair perfumes but I recently tried Fekkai's all-natural products (no parabens and other chemicals) and I swear that my hair stays clean for longer.

Jonathan Re-do spray is a miracle worker. I used to smoke and it completely eliminated the smoke smell. My husband has never smoked so can smell it easily and I'd constantly get him to smell my hair for me and it never smelled like smoke. I highly recommend it!:tup: I know your issue isn't smoke related but if it can get rid of cigarette smell I think it could handle anything.

You said your hair is thick,too. You may have as simple a problem as not rinsing for long enough. Most people don't truly rinse their hair long enough. I cannot tell you how many clients I have taken back to the shampoo bowl and when I wet the hair it suds up. That comes from leftover shampoo in the hair. Thick hair is difficult to rinse completely. I have found shampooing over the tub, where you can monitor the color of the rinse water, helps. You then time it to see how long it takes your water to go clear, and then rinse that same amount of time in the shower. Shampoo residue can smell by the second day. The other solutions may help. but I always tell clients to try the simplest cure first-which would be making sure you get all of the shampoo and conditioner completely rinsed out.:smile:

I might just try some of that spray for my son. I never had the guts to say anything to him but noticed the brush smells sometimes so I'm always washing it. I always thought maybe it was the gel buildup or something he was putting in his hair.

I knew a couple of people including my brother who had smelly scalps and we found out that it was actually due to bacteria.

Do you get dandruff and flakes? If you do you could try going to a doctor or dermatologist to get recommendations on products to clear your scalp.

Ok lots of responses! Thanks girls!
No dandruff, and no flakes, and no oil (figure that out). I live next door to one of the top 100derms in the nation so I could ask him about the bacteria but I'm highly doubting it.
I don't wash my hair every day because it doesn't get oily, oh and I don't brush my hair .. hm maybe that's it actually :confused1:

You said your hair is thick,too. You may have as simple a problem as not rinsing for long enough. Most people don't truly rinse their hair long enough. I cannot tell you how many clients I have taken back to the shampoo bowl and when I wet the hair it suds up. That comes from leftover shampoo in the hair. Thick hair is difficult to rinse completely. I have found shampooing over the tub, where you can monitor the color of the rinse water, helps. You then time it to see how long it takes your water to go clear, and then rinse that same amount of time in the shower. Shampoo residue can smell by the second day. The other solutions may help. but I always tell clients to try the simplest cure first-which would be making sure you get all of the shampoo and conditioner completely rinsed out.:smile:

That could be it! I'm a quick shower kinda girl. Literally 10minutes in and out unless I do a deep condition then it's more like 20. So that could be it too. Glad I have all this advice lots of things to try.
I'll pick up a "hair freshener" too

This might sound like a silly question, but why are you using a volumizing shampoo if your hair is so thick? My hair is very thick, and I always stick to smoothing shampoos.

S Factor makes a great daily shampoo called "Health Factor" that is sulfate-free. It's quite mild compared to other shampoos I've used. It's steep-$20+ a bottle I think.

My hair gets pretty dry as well. Neutrogena Triple Moisture conditioner (the one in the container, not the tube) is $11 and works miracles.

Hello

I know exactly what you are referring to regarding the funky, negative hair smell.

Try Tersaseptic, an antibacterial shampoo made exactly for oily scalps. It has no odor and is pretty cheap. I use it and it has really helped my hair smell.