why does my cat do this?

kmccrea

Designer At Large
Apr 28, 2006
It's not like I don't provide him with clean water, every day I clean and fill the water bowl. I can't imagine it tastes better, but sometimes when I enter the bathroom he's right there drinking out of the toilet.
Thirsty Mao small.jpg

kmccrea, you are not alone! Both my Queens do this too. I heard somewhere that the pets prefer the toilet water because the toilet is frequently flushed, the water is fresher (hard to imagine!). It is still gross! We try to keep the toilet covers down.

BTW, that picture of your cat is too cute!!

Both my Queens do this too. I heard somewhere that the pets prefer the toilet water because the toilet is frequently flushed, the water is fresher (hard to imagine!).
I've heard this also. I haven't had this problem, we keep the lids down, but that was because I'm afraid they'll fall in - they like to jump up on the toliet.
My cats love their water fountains, and never try to drink anywhere else. Maybe you could try that? We have 2 of these (its on sale too!) Fountain

pirate (who jumps to the top shelf in the closet) will jump on the toilet....we keep the lids down but once he almost fell in thinking there was a top on there....lol....luckily i caught him in mid flight or that would have been pretty icky.....he would have been totally in since he is still small....so so far no drinking but i know cats like doing that....

Aww, the pic is so cute! Don't worry Kmccrea, cats do silly things because they know they are not supposed to! My cat drinks from my mug and she has been doing that ever since she was a kitten, even with fresh water provided in her bowl everyday!! :rolleyes:

Some people have to pay to be entertained. You get it for free.

I'd savour the delights. Cats are quirky -- all 4 of mine are -- so relish your cat's quirky habits.

[Just don't got kissing his/her mouth!!!]

i just put the seat down. the water in the toilet has left over cleaning chemicals in it and i dont want them drinking it. i dont find it a bother to put the seat down.

I've heard this also. I haven't had this problem, we keep the lids down, but that was because I'm afraid they'll fall in - they like to jump up on the toliet.
My cats love their water fountains, and never try to drink anywhere else. Maybe you could try that? We have 2 of these (its on sale too!) Fountain

^^ cool, i love the fountain!!! :smile:

My kitties (and the dog) love their fountain. They even play in it...I find cat litter in it from their paws all the time :P

My first dog used to drink from the toilet. Now, I just keep the seat down.

Most of the time the bathroom door is closed because the very same Mao will shred the toilet paper to bits (makes it very hard to use). He's had this paper thing since he was a very tiny kitten. I must have had a lapse of attention, luckily I had enough time to photograph him in the act.
Here's some pictures of the scoundrel having a grand time with some scrap pattern making paper I gave him.
2162117130026641850S500x500Q85.jpg

2876703810026641850S500x500Q85.jpg

2781460720026641850S500x500Q85.jpg

i just put the seat down. the water in the toilet has left over cleaning chemicals in it and i dont want them drinking it. i dont find it a bother to put the seat down.
I only use vinegar or Dawn for cleaning since I cannot take the harsh smell of most cleaning chemicals. Also, I don't want to use anything that may harm the cats or rabbits since they are literally everywhere I am.

Some people have to pay to be entertained. You get it for free.

I'd savour the delights. Cats are quirky -- all 4 of mine are -- so relish your cat's quirky habits.

[Just don't got kissing his/her mouth!!!]

Another reason not to go kissing their mouths is because they lick their behinds. Makes me wonder why Phoebe is so darn finicky. Oh well, I love her and Mao and Lucy just the same and they are very entertaining.

Most of the time the bathroom door is closed because the very same Mao will shred the toilet paper to bits (makes it very hard to use). He's had this paper thing since he was a very tiny kitten. I must have had a lapse of attention, luckily I had enough time to photograph him in the act.
Here's some pictures of the scoundrel having a grand time with some scrap pattern making paper I gave him.
2162117130026641850S500x500Q85.jpg

2876703810026641850S500x500Q85.jpg

2781460720026641850S500x500Q85.jpg

OMG...Mao is too much and handsome too!! :heart::love::heart::love: My first kitty did the same thing, in fact we knew when he was about to do it, because he would casually stroll:whistle: down the hall toward the bathroom and stop and look back to see if anyone was looking.