Why do you buy Hermes?

India

O.G.
Aug 30, 2007
I've been a member of tpf now for nearly 5 years. I bought my first Hermes (a scarf and one for my daughter, as well) nearly 9 years ago - first bag 4 1/2 yrs ago. My collection is VERY small and that's just fine with me. The only bag I would still love to own is a black Piano, preferbly croc, but BB would also do. I most likely never will as I just can't bring myself to pay that much for something that would get so little use (church) when I have lovely non-Hermes that serve me quite well. I haven't bought a scarf in 2-3 years, or a shawl in about 2 years - I have plenty for my lifestyle.

Why did I want Hermes? The scarves are SO lovely - wonderful quality of silk and the prints and colors are gorgeous. They last forever and can smarten up the plainest clothes. I find I no longer wear mine as much as I should, but I do love them. My daughter will enjoy them when I'm gone.

I bought an Hermes bag as I was disgusted with Vuitton's new policy of only repairing bags with a manufacturer defect. One used to be able to take them in for a new zipper/strap. The last one I bought looked tired after 3 years - some serious wear - and it was the identical style I had previously bought that lasted 16 years!!! I've always loved the Kelly style - first saw it when I was in retailing school in NYC in the mid-60's - had no idea about the brand, just loved the style. So, I lost 20 pounds and treated myself to one, then a 2nd vintage one. My 3rd - a Picotin PM - was a treat to bring back from Paris. At NO TIME was it about needing to buy a "name" luxury brand - I could care less and am delighted that I live somewhere where having Coach is a big deal and it is rare for anyone to recognize that my bags are Hermes. I've never gotten into the SLG's - WAY too pricey and Hermes wallets wouldn't work for me anyway.

Over my nearly 5 years on tpf, I've seen the members go from those who just love the style and quality to those who simply must have a luxury brand label for everything that goes on their body (Hermes tampons?) I hear them saying that they must have NOTHING but the finest of everything, "finest" being defined as a major status symbol brand that costs a fortune for even the simplest thing. I don't know if they think they're so "special" that only the finest will possibly do, or if they think having all these ridiculously in order to feel "special" and "rich". Some clearly buy it to impress others - some husbands are even into their wives having lots of Hermes as it enhances their status.

So...my question is, do you love this brand and buy it Hermes because you love the styles and the quality? Do you buy it because you believe you deserve only the finest and most expensive there is, even where the most basic items are involved? Do you buy it to impress your friends, get better tables in restaurants, better service in stores? Do you buy it to fill a hole in your life? Over the years, we've had a few MAJOR buyers on tpf, and when they finally had children, they disappeared completely. Do you buy Hermes because it's the "hot" brand today and you like to always have the hottest, latest things? Do you buy tons of Hermes because you like LOTS of change and variety in your life?

There are no "right" or "wrong" answers, but there are perhaps different value systems in play here. I'm genuinely curious why tpf members buy Hermes and buy it the way they do. Let's hear from you all!

• Love
Reactions: Hermes Zen
India:flowers:I also have been here the same amount of time as you. I truly like H, the bags, the scarves and shawls and there is some houseware and furniture I would kill to own if I had the extra cash. Since buying H bags, I have found it harder to spend money on other luxury goods. It has had a opposite effect on me. Unless the quality is there or I really want it, I don't bother. May I also add quality does not always come with a hefty price tag. I have things from Target that have lasted for years.

As far as the other questions, I don't believe I am entitled to anything in life. The best of whatever means something different to everyone. If the person is happy, who I am to judge? Everything in life, including happiness is something we have to work at.:flowers:

This is an interesting topic.:flowers:I wonder what others will post.

Interesting post, India...I have to say that like you, I fell in love with the Kelly when I was 18 (mid 70's): in Venice, I saw this young lady with a well loved Boxcalf Kelly
and it was love at first sight! I new it was Hermès but I also new that it was very expensive, so I said to myself "one day....". 2 years later I got married and went on Honeymoon to the South of France, and in Monte Carlo I walked in to Hermès and, unlike today, it was full of Kellys! I asked the price and my Dh almost fainted, lol!

I started saving (I had a generous grandmother) and finally, for my 23rd birthday I bought my first Kelly, navy blu Box 32 retourné!

My love affair with Hermès is over 35 years old! I think this answers many of your questions! By the way, my marriage lasted much less:P!

Hi India,

Good topic! For me, my love of Hermes started when I was a child. I grew up with horses and still am very involved in the equestrian world, so when I was very young, it was the saddlery and harness that brought the brand to my notice. Then, also at a young age, I learned of the Kelly bag and immediately fell in love, especially because the bag was made by a brand that was so involved with and inspired by the horse, and because it was named after Grace. That the goods were handmade also heavily influenced me. I vowed one day I would have a Kelly and I am the happy owner of 6 vintage Kellys! All are special to me and I treasure them. When I look for a Kelly, the older they are, the better. I also adore the scarves and fragrances.

I am a country person and although I carry a Kelly each time I go out, it is extremely rare that anyone recognizes my bags, which is fine by me. I don't carry them to impress others but because I appreciate the quality, beauty and craftmanship that went into each. I am not in any way fashionable or fabulously rich, I much prefer to buy less but buy better, quality over quantity for me anyday and Hermes fits this philosophy perfectly. I would far rather have my six Kellys than lots of ' it' bags, but that's me. My bags don't make me feel ' rich' but they do make me feel elegant and that's priceless.

great idea for a thread! I only started getting interested in Hermés a year or so ago... I had two or three CHANEL bags which get plenty of use - I really could NOT bring myself to buy anything of lesser quality so I started looking into H. My initial motivation was to get a lovely quality 'under the radar' bag for casual use. Just for the pleasure of using something nicely made....(which I did - I bought a black herbag) Ever since I am bessoted with the simplicity of the design and quality in craftsmanship. Honest! I also attended the 'leather forever' exhibition which converted me to an H groupie. (please note not a birkin groupie) We recently got some wildly overpriced cushions, which I love! Only my cat knows they are H:biggrin:

Last edited:
In short, quality, classic styling and exclusivity.

As a woman, it's always good to know that you may in fact be the only person in a room (be that a boardroom, conference room or a ballroom) with your bag....or scarf...or accessory.

For me, it's that simple.

India - you wise one! I appreciate this question.
I have scarves since it is easier for me to squeeze scarf money out of my budget than anything bigger. I came to scarves via my DM who has a love for horses and art and bought L'Hiver by LeDoux as her first H scarf in the seventies. I got my first scarf 21 years ago. For a long time, I have admired and wanted a Kelly but simply cannot afford it (I have kids ;)) - I will probably never be able to afford one. I love H scarves for the art, colors and feel and much prefer that no one know that they are H scarves. I would almost be embarrassed if they did. The bag and scarcety aspect are more and more a turn-off. It seems a bit greedy and flashy at times.

Same as you two lovely ladies(India & Julide), lurked since '05 but joined in '07:flowers:

Was introduced to H by DGM, skipped DM.
DGM wore couture, by that, I meant couture in it's truest meaning, hand sewn to owners proportions and fit...
DM was the couture rebel lol...

I buy because I enjoy quality hand creations, but not everything H suits me!
It's not about just a b/k unless it's a me color and leather!!!
I go thru stages of H lust, pausing @ jewelry and furniture now:P

Status??? I do not believe anyone can truthfully state this isn't appealing...
But too much of it is really OCD for me or to watch.
There is so much more good one can do with all that liquidity and still garner status.

The best??? That's subjective and simpatico to enhancing self/spouse's status.

Definitely more psychological than any other possible explanation if one needs to have #'s of variations of same design... This isn't meant to come across as a negative statement at all, just that there's is something deeper than what's on the surface, truly jmho.

Marketers rely on these profiling to sell you anything from toothpaste and sunscreens to zip codes w/ the best school district.

Some choose to accumulate large IF/D diamonds instead of H/real estate.
Take this packaged family who has H, bling, multiple realties, and we refer back to status/best again.

Entitlement, well, it's not in my vocabulary^

Last edited:
I first bought my first piece of H a CdC, for possibly entirely the wrong reasons - I just liked the look. That was when I was a teenager and boy did I wear that cuff, I don't think I left the house without it for 4 years. That was when no one else knew what it was and where it was from now they are everywhere and so fashionable I can't bring myself to wear it, nor have I ever bought 100 more in every colour that kind of 'collecting' makes me feel quite sick.

After that first piece there was a hiatus of 12 years. I like all the things no one else seems to and can't fathom the popularity of others but then each to their own and can admire things on someone else quite happily.

I love the silks, the quality is better than nearly all other brands and are amazingly versitile but I never really fancy the cashmere shawls which are too warm for me to wear all day. I have no love for all the charmy, jangly things either but I do adore the things actually made for horses (and riders). I can't bring myself to spend so much money on a wallet when I plenty of very fine ones from other designers that are just as good IMO and as yet unused.

I only have 2 H bags, both inherited and even then I only carry one at a time so there doesn't seem a need to collect several hundred. I only like 2 leathers that H has cut down making it almost impossible to buy anymore new anyway plus I have other bags, amazing bags. I can trust my own judgement regards quality and H doesn't have a complete manopoly whatever anybody else thinks. I have some handmade vintage bags that knock new H into the ground :ninja:. If the right bag in the right leather came along of course I would consider it but I wouldn't buy because it was 'hard to find' or for 'investment' - it would be in consideration of would I actually use it.

I also like some of H's RTW, yes really. I like good clothes and would rather wear an amazing coat or dress I fell in love with with an existing bag than just buy another bag because they 'don't go on sale' and have to wear it with my pyjamas or track suit like a z-list celeb. I have my H Land boots from last year, I never found of H shoes or boots I liked before but these are the most special boots I have worn and were not any more expensive than any other designer boots I have. I am going to wear my Land boots every Winter until the day I die and then be buried in them ;).

After solely purchasing LV bags I found their quality becoming worse and worse the newer the bags so I jumped in the Chanel train. I :heart: Chanel owing to its timeless and classic chic but wanted something of the same quality or better which would be under the radar due to catty remarks about my Chanel's from my inlaws. Hence my love for hermes. My sister in laws proudly showcase their gucci/LV bags deeming my under the radar bags to be some inferior branded bag as they do not know what Hermes is and even if they did would not understand why I would spend money on a bag that "people won't recognise" lol. My bags are for ME to enjoy and Hermes allows me to do that without any snide digs or remarks. Also I love H's quality and craftmanship.

Ok don't flame me. I came for the flash and stayed for the love of color.

My environment made me do it. I moved to low key San Diego CA from the midwest 20 years ago, I could not believe how fake and image conscious California is. Then I moved to LA, and here the ostentatiousness is beyond belief. I live in a part of LA that has the highest per capita number of Bentleys in the world. In traffic, I am routinely nearly run over by $200,000 cars.

I work with high powered attorneys who have mega wealthy clients. I needed a symbol of success, albeit a low key one, to be taken seriously in the game. I wasn't going to do jewelry or cars, so I wanted a significant handbag that could go into board rooms with me. I started with Fendi. Reluctantly and with great embarrassment, I was pulled into Hermes. I don't consider myself a person who tries to impress people with stuff, so I was aghast I was going to Hermes. I am the kind of person who doesn't feel comfortable shopping at boutiques because I am intimidated by the SAs and the other shoppers. I would never carry a bag with a logo on it.

My entry was a relatively inexpensive vintage Kelly. As I researched leathers and sizes and colors, I found I was smitten with certain reds, blues, purples, and grays--all the colors in my closet. I also love exotics. No one does colors and exotics like Hermes. Now I have a $100k+ wishlist. I could retire in a few years, but instead will work another 10 years just to fulfill my wishlist. I joke with myself I should carry a sign that says "will work for Hermes".

I am also aghast I am getting sucked into scarves. I never found Birkins to be attractive, but now they are calling to me. CDCs are starting to look good. People don't call it the slippery orange slope for nothing.

I am thrilled that people do not recognize my Kelly to be Hermes but immediately notice the quality. When I got my first "nice purse" from someone who I had no clue what it was, I thought "I have chosen well." And when my best friend who know I have a purse addiction but who doesn't know brands said "very Audrey Hepburn ish", I really knew I made the right decision.

In short, quality, classic styling and exclusivity.

As a woman, it's always good to know that you may in fact be the only person in a room (be that a boardroom, conference room or a ballroom) with your bag....or scarf...or accessory.

For me, it's that simple.

I don't agree, H is not exclusive at all. It available from almost every capital city plus resort Worldwide and their iconic pieces are readily recognisable by people who would not normally know about luxury brands.

Same as you two lovely ladies(India & Julide), lurked since '05 but joined in '07:flowers:

Was introduced to H by DGM, skipped DM.
DGM wore couture, by that, I meant couture in it's truest meaning, hand sewn to owners proportions and fit...
DM was the couture rebel lol...

I buy because I enjoy quality hand creations, but not everything H suits me!
It's not about just a b/k unless it's a me color and leather!!!
I go thru stages of H lust, pausing @ jewelry and furniture now:P

Status??? I do not believe anyone can truthfully state this isn't appealing...
But too much of it is really OCD for me or to watch.
There is so much more good one can do with all that liquidity and still garner status.

The best??? That's subjective and simpatico to enhancing self/spouse's status.

Definitely more psychological than any other possible explanation if one needs to have #'s of variations of same design... This isn't meant to come across as a negative statement at all, just that there's is something deeper than what's on the surface, truly jmho.

Marketers rely on these profiling to sell you anything from toothpaste and sunscreens to zip codes w/ the best school district.

Some choose to accumulate large IF/D diamonds instead of H/real estate.
Take this packaged family who has H, bling, multiple realties, and we refer back to status/best again.

Entitlement, well, it's not in my vocabulary^

Your DGM sounds amazing!!!!:faint:What a closet!! I agree that you can't understand a persons reasons as they maybe hidden:ninja:

I first bought my first piece of H a CdC, for possibly entirely the wrong reasons - I just liked the look. That was when I was a teenager and boy did I wear that cuff, I don't think I left the house without it for 4 years. That was when no one else knew what it was and where it was from now they are everywhere and so fashionable I can't bring myself to wear it, nor have I ever bought 100 more in every colour that kind of 'collecting' makes me feel quite sick.

After that first piece there was a hiatus of 12 years. I like all the things no one else seems to and can't fathom the popularity of others but then each to their own and can admire things on someone else quite happily.

I love the silks, the quality is better than nearly all other brands and are amazingly versitile but I never really fancy the cashmere shawls which are too warm for me to wear all day. I have no love for all the charmy, jangly things either but I do adore the things actually made for horses (and riders). I can't bring myself to spend so much money on a wallet when I plenty of very fine ones from other designers that are just as good IMO and as yet unused.

I only have 2 H bags, both inherited and even then I only carry one at a time so there doesn't seem a need to collect several hundred. I only like 2 leathers that H has cut down making it almost impossible to buy anymore new anyway plus I have other bags, amazing bags. I can trust my own judgement regards quality and H doesn't have a complete manopoly whatever anybody else thinks. I have some handmade vintage bags that knock new H into the ground :ninja:. If the right bag in the right leather came along of course I would consider it but I wouldn't buy because it was 'hard to find' or for 'investment' - it would be in consideration of would I actually use it.

I also like some of H's RTW, yes really. I like good clothes and would rather wear an amazing coat or dress I fell in love with with an existing bag than just buy another bag because they 'don't go on sale' and have to wear it with my pyjamas or track suit like a z-list celeb. I have my H Land boots from last year, I never found of H shoes or boots I liked before but these are the most special boots I have worn and were not any more expensive than any other designer boots I have. I am going to wear my Land boots every Winter until the day I die and then be buried in them ;).

:lol:yep, the wrong reasons for sure.;):flowers:

Ok don't flame me. I came for the flash and stayed for the love of color.

My environment made me do it. I moved to low key San Diego CA from the midwest 20 years ago, I could not believe how fake and image conscious California is. Then I moved to LA, and here the ostentatiousness is beyond belief. I live in a part of LA that has the highest per capita number of Bentleys in the world. In traffic, I am routinely nearly run over by $200,000 cars.

I work with high powered attorneys who have mega wealthy clients. I needed a symbol of success, albeit a low key one, to be taken seriously in the game. I wasn't going to do jewelry or cars, so I wanted a significant handbag that could go into board rooms with me. I started with Fendi. Reluctantly and with great embarrassment, I was pulled into Hermes. I don't consider myself a person who tries to impress people with stuff, so I was aghast I was going to Hermes. I am the kind of person who doesn't feel comfortable shopping at boutiques because I am intimidated by the SAs and the other shoppers. I would never carry a bag with a logo on it.

My entry was a relatively inexpensive vintage Kelly. As I researched leathers and sizes and colors, I found I was smitten with certain reds, blues, purples, and grays--all the colors in my closet. I also love exotics. No one does colors and exotics like Hermes. Now I have a $100k+ wishlist. I could retire in a few years, but instead will work another 10 years just to fulfill my wishlist. I joke with myself I should carry a sign that says "will work for Hermes".

I am also aghast I am getting sucked into scarves. I never found Birkins to be attractive, but now they are calling to me. CDCs are starting to look good. People don't call it the slippery orange slope for nothing.

I am thrilled that people do not recognize my Kelly to be Hermes but immediately notice the quality. When I got my first "nice purse" from someone who I had no clue what it was, I thought "I have chosen well." And when my best friend who know I have a purse addiction but who doesn't know brands said "very Audrey Hepburn ish", I really knew I made the right decision.

:lol:Great post!! I started with bags and moved to silks, I think it is inevitable!!:flowers: