Why do you buy Hermes?

I buy Hermes because of the quality, the variety of styles and the colors. I still can't decide whether to wear the scarves or get them framed and hang them on the wall. Years ago I saw a picture of someone with a Constance. I didn't know who made the bag, but I knew I wanted one. We're all going to be dead for a long time - we might as well be good to ourselves while we're here.

I don't agree, H is not exclusive at all. It available from almost every capital city plus resort Worldwide and their iconic pieces are readily recognisable by people who would not normally know about luxury brands.

We can agree to disagree....you are entitled to your opinion (and the logic that brought you to it) and I am entitled to mine....recognition and availability does not equal access, as many of my friends can attest who want a few crocs....but that's my opinion based on the facts they and I encounter in traveling from capital city to capital city globally. And so my original statement remains.....

I don't agree, H is not exclusive at all. It available from almost every capital city plus resort Worldwide and their iconic pieces are readily recognisable by people who would not normally know about luxury brands.

Hermes' price point makes it exclusive, by which I mean not attainable by most. While it is certainly available from multiple store sites, there are very, very few people, percentage-of-population-wise, who can afford actually to patronize these stores. And recognizable is not the same thing as exclusive. Today's media make the lifestyle perquisites of the uber-wealthy readily identifiable; for example, I know what the inside of a G-5 looks like. But I don't own one and (sadly) will never fly in one. So, perhaps not particularly rare, and perhaps not unknown or unfamiliar, but exclusive? I think so.

I know exactly what you mean about exclusivity as I share your definition. When I see a birkin - I dont think 'exclusive' because in my view anyone prepared to throw sufficient amounts of money at it can get one. The people who do, perceive it as exclusive.

We can agree to disagree....you are entitled to your opinion (and the logic that brought you to it) and I am entitled to mine....recognition and availability does not equal access, as many of my friends can attest who want a few crocs....but that's my opinion based on the facts they and I encounter in traveling from capital city to capital city globally. And so my original statement remains.....

Hermes' price point makes it exclusive, by which I mean not attainable by most. While it is certainly available from multiple store sites, there are very, very few people, percentage-of-population-wise, who can afford actually to patronize these stores. And recognizable is not the same thing as exclusive. Today's media make the lifestyle perquisites of the uber-wealthy readily identifiable; for example, I know what the inside of a G-5 looks like. But I don't own one and (sadly) will never fly in one. So, perhaps not particularly rare, and perhaps not unknown or unfamiliar, but exclusive? I think so.

I know exactly what you mean about exclusivity as I share your definition. When I see a birkin - I dont think 'exclusive' because in my view anyone prepared to throw sufficient amounts of money at it can get one. The people who do, perceive it as exclusive.

I didn't mean to start any controversy here. To me expensive means loads of money and exclusive means very few, thats all. Thank you ladysarah for saying it in a much better way than me :flowers:

I adore many things made by Hermes but I don't think of it as any more exclusive as say LV or Gucci etc which are also expensive for most people and very often occupy buildings in the same streets.

No worries!--and I do see what you mean. Though ultimately, I think that there is very little that is truly exclusive by your definition, since I (perhaps cynically) think almost anything will be produced if you throw sufficient amounts of money at it! Now, the "sufficient amounts" may be astronomical, but throw them and "it" will come, no matter how rare "it" may be. That's how I think the system works, for better or worse. 'Course, that's just a guess on my part, since I, alas, am not in the position to throw as much as I'd like at everything I'd like! :P

How about you buy something because quite frankly you simply like it?

I have been here for over 5 years, people have come and gone. New members have arrived and they all share the love of Hermes.

Hermes is just a lovely brand in terms of leather and quality why does it have to be more than that?

Exclusive or non exclusive - so what!! Buy the bag/scarf/rtw if you like it, don't buy it if you don't.

Personally I sometimes dislike Hermes mainly because of the way they are turning everything into such a chore for people to purchase. I have read here the issues that people have sourcing things, I am lucky in the fact that I got things I like a long while ago and if I wanted something Hermes I would get it without the games some SA's use on customers, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth reading stories on here, it is only material goods!!! Not mystical fairy dust!!!

I have been here for over 5 years, people have come and gone. New members have arrived and they all share the love of Hermes.

Hermes is just a lovely brand in terms of leather and quality why does it have to be more than that?

Exclusive or non exclusive - so what!! Buy the bag/scarf/rtw if you like it, don't buy it if you don't.

Personally I sometimes dislike Hermes mainly because of the way they are turning everything into such a chore for people to purchase. I have read here the issues that people have sourcing things, I am lucky in the fact that I got things I like a long while ago and if I wanted something Hermes I would get it without the games some SA's use on customers, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth reading stories on here, it is only material goods!!! Not mystical fairy dust!!!
thank you sammyjoe- great post- well said-

I agree that "because you like it" is ultimately the best reason to buy anything (certainly any luxury item). There are a variety of elements, however, that determine what an individual likes. For many people (and I may be one of them), perceptions like popularity, exclusivity, etc., help to determine our likes, sometimes without our awareness. Advertising and association have powerful and sometimes subconscious cognitive effects. Hermes is historically linked with wealth, power, and elegance (think Jackie O. and Grace Kelly). It's hard, I think, to completely separate these associations from our "liking" of Hermes. I only speak for myself, here--I would like very much to think that I would love Hermes even if there were no such concepts and personalities associated with the brand, just because the items are beautiful and beautifully-made. But I can't be sure. (Psychologist here--always suspicious of everyone's motives, including my own!)

Reactions: Passau

Asolutely. I totally agree. ( I live in rural Northumberland and no-one has any idea that I carry H but I know and love it and that's good enough for me.)

Thanks for starting such an interesting thread.
For me, after years of shopping/bargain hunting, I realized that if I settle with something that is not "the best", I will later then regret and buy the "best" anyway. So now I only buy limited number of items but each has to be "the best". Besides, I have pretty picky eyes. I just don't like things that are poorly made.
For instance, I waited for years to buy a Leica M9 (the M8 was nice, but it wasn't full frame). my patience paid off.
Same with H. after buying H, I just stopped buying Chanel and other bags. I have fewer things, but each one is of best quality. I like my life as simple as that.

*And of course, I love them all. That's the most important reason.

I ventured into Hermes' bags (always known about and lusted after their saddles) because of a celebrity. There, I said it and I'm not ashamed of it. Kate Moss with a white Birkin, and I didn't even really like Kate Moss at the time. The fact is, for where I lived at the time, celebrities and fashion magazines were the only way to see what "nice" brands were out there beyond what was available at the very small mall in that city. CURRENTLY, yes I want Hermes goods for their quality and style, but I think most Hermes shoppers can't really appreciate how good the quality is until they own the bags, and most bags these days are difficult to even see to try on in the stores before buying. So as much as we want all Hermes buyers to be into Hermes for the tradition and quality from the get go, the truth is, most people are probably drawn in by the popularity of the bags that they see in magazines and on celebrities, then stay for the quality and beauty of the product. Not everyone can be lucky enough to inherit the love of Hermes from a grandmother or mother.

As for wanting all the other "overpriced" stuff from Hermes, frankly the price point is such that you really have to like it to buy, and Hermes doesn't exactly market their home goods and rtw so that you even know that they exist unless you see it in their stores. So I hardly think that most people buy the expensive non-bag items for the status or to impress others...it's hard to do that when most people don't know those items exist and thus could care less that you have them :biggrin: Personally, I just bought an Hermes hat after buying several one size fits all cheap hats over the course of two summers...one too big to stay on my head when the wind blew, one with a large brim that got too floppy after handling it a few times, one with a brim too small to shade my eyes...finally, I broke down and paid the $$ for the Hermes hat that I tried on two years ago and knew was the right size to shade my face from the sun on the many days when DD and I are out walking. So sometimes Hermes IS a need, not just a want :lol:

Last edited:

:tup: Hear, hear!

I came in for the leather, and still am amazed by and in love with the leather quality. I could do with less of the cachet and the games; I just want to enjoy the beauty of my bag. I gave up a kelly and birkin just because I felt so uncomfortable with their status, and now just carry a bolide, which I love all the more so because it's so under the radar. I will still probably get the birkin on my wish list, but I probably won't take it out very much - it's just for me to know and love.

I learned of Hermès when I first visited Paris with my boyfriend (his family lived there) back in 1992. We walked along the street, and there were the windows. Gasp! During that trip, I started wearing scarves and had my first instructions in dressing like a French lady from his mother--and while something like Hermès was NOT condoned by this family (only their estate in Normady was deemed worthy of $$$), I knew H was special. I'd been studying art history for five/six years, so the connoisseur eye told me. I didn't know if it was "the best" (and I certainly didn't know how expensive it was/is), but I knew it was beautiful.

That set me dreaming.

The funny thing is--only now do I know that I could have afforded H scarves--and even a bag eventually--as soon as I started graduate school (I was heavily funded by multiple sources). But it seemed silly for a grad student to tote something Grace Kelly would have worn. Still, someday . . . And I never forgot that.

When my scarves from India started to fray (I studied with weavers in India--I'm passionate about my textiles), that's when I got my first Hermès scarf. When I finally got sick of the transformation of Coach (my bags were very old by then), I went after my first H bag. Since that first bag, I've acquired a surprising number (and released one)--but then, I've always loved bags and scarves. Always. And if H makes me happy, good.

I live in a world that would find such things a reason to disparage me. Because this is a forum away from the real world, there's the sense that the "status" of H confers only the good things. Sorry, it doesn't. Most of H goes way under the radar, which is great, and I'm just getting too old to care about the rest (I hit 40 in a few months). The only thing I'm careful about is the Kelly--that gets too much notice.

I like beautiful things--and not just H things. And since I don't like furniture or cars or jewelry and I won't be having children, H things are possible. I can't ever have the David by Michelangelo, but I CAN have a BBK. Yummy.