Why do you buy diamonds?

^^Ditto.

I think it is presumptuous for your guy friend to assume that the premise of diamond purchasing has to be investment related. He seems to be oblivious to the fact that people actually do buy diamonds for the sake of enjoying their beauty.

My pet peeve is when people always blame DeBeers for wanting to buy diamonds. Another pet peeve is when they try to act all high and mighty like you have bad morale for wanting to buy diamonds. There goes the "blood diamond" issue.

Same thing goes with handbags that are made from animals. Clothes that are made from China sweatshops, etc.

Anyway, I say, buy the diamond while you can. Enjoy it for its beauty and don't feel guilty. WHY feel guilty? If you can afford it, it gives you joy, then have fun with it! :smile:

I buy them because they're really shiny status symbols with a lot of perceived value. If diamonds were cheap like rhinestones, then I wouldn't think twice about them.

I buy them because *nothing* in this world sparkles quite like a high quality diamond….and that sparkle boosts my mood and adds significant enjoyment to my life. I can take my ring with me everywhere I go and whenever I need a lift, I just look down and wiggle it back and forth a bit and watch it throw off fiery sparks. BOOM!!! Instant and utter delight!! :love: It's a mood and enjoyment booster for me, nothing more.

If aquamarine or morganite stones sparkled in a way that thrilled me, I would probably prefer them since they're easier on the wallet. But as I said, only diamonds sparkle like that, and unfortunately they are $$$$. But, I only buy what I can comfortably afford and I definitely do NOT see diamonds as an investment. I will hand mine down to my children someday and hope that they'll enjoy them as much as I did.

My pet peeve is when people always blame DeBeers for wanting to buy diamonds. Another pet peeve is when they try to act all high and mighty like you have bad morale for wanting to buy diamonds. There goes the "blood diamond" issue.

Same thing goes with handbags that are made from animals. Clothes that are made from China sweatshops, etc.

Anyway, I say, buy the diamond while you can. Enjoy it for its beauty and don't feel guilty. WHY feel guilty? If you can afford it, it gives you joy, then have fun with it! :smile:

I agree that everything that humans consume, other ppl or animals usually suffer in order to produce those goods. And while I feel like that fact won't change anytime soon, I still feel deep sadness that my joy is someone else's suffering..I'm still a little hesitant on the upgrade and sort of regret doing research...once I started diving into the research and the facts, I just couldn't feel the same way :/

Like Swanky said, I don't buy consumer goods as investments because it simply doesn't make sense. Almost nothing holds its value over time, and if it does it is based on the whims of what is popular. I invest in my retirement accounts and other true investments.

And everyone has their "thing". The odds are good that the man who criticized your desire to purchase diamonds has spent plenty on something he likes - automobiles? Golf clubs? Technology? The vast majority of those things hold no true value over time, either. But the point is to buy things you love.

As far as ethical issues, every single thing we do on a daily basis is fraught with potential impacts. Every light switch we flip, every piece of technology we use, every plane we board, every item of clothing we wear - any of those things can have humanitarian or environmental impacts. I strongly believe in doing what we can for the issues we feel strongly about, but no one can save the world single handedly. I am not perfect, but I stand behind the choices I make and I am not ashamed of the diamonds I own. The ethical chain of custody may not be perfect, but most pieces of technology also contain things that are mined or obtained under questionable circumstances yet people aren't as eager to point fingers and guilt someone for their new Iphone.

I never buy jewelry for investment purposes I love the way diamonds make me feel, the way they sparkle and just everything about them, so I buy them. If I looked at everything as an investment when will I have fun? I would advise anyone to have a savings account, save for older age, and have for rainy days, but I would also advise anyone to not make money their priority in life, ( a little morbid ) but, either way you can't take the money or the things with you. Put your money where it makes you happy..savings account fine, saks fine. I have seen many examples where people did not buy/spend their money on anything "branded, fun, etc..they saved it all and then their children, family members spent it in a few short years..even months. In short save some, spend some. enjoy life!
*I digress :smile:

I agree with this. i'm in my late 20's and yes I save but I also spend too. perfect example is my Dad- he has saved his entire life, always bought the least expensive items just to save a few extra cents, dollars...whatever. he is now retired at 52 so saving has definitely worked but has also now realized that along the way he should have bought investment items such as a kitchen items, or household items- he is now replacing everything with quality products and has commented that if he had done it when he was younger he would still have them today. so in the long run he has spent more money then if he bought the investment item to begin with!

don't see your jewellery as an investment that you can make money off of but as quality pieces that will stand the test of time and will give you a life time of enjoyment! buy quality the first time and you won't re purchase the same item twice so you can keep building a collection over the span of your life :smile:

just my 2 cents!

Can't diamonds be an investment in terms of it's longevity?

Sure it might not fetch you the same dollar, but you'll have them forever. They're basically indestructible wearing them everyday with the exception of a poorly cut diamond chipping... And you get to pass it down and it stays with the family. To me, wearing a piece my granddaughter could wear screams investment.

I usually receive as gifts for special occasions but I love them because they are my fav stone and my birthstone. I don't look at them as an investment but something to give to mu future generations. Also I wear them, love them and enjoy them day to day. No saving for special. Well, maybe a few.

agree with Swanky....stocks, RE and business as investments...buy diamonds because you love them, and can afford them........and perhaps they will retain and/or increase in value....also, It pays to do your research....

I buy diamonds because I can. And I love their sparkle.
Thought I am much older than you, I bought what I could afford during each stage of life. I'm in my 50s now and have saved for retirement, have almost paid my mortgage, put two kids through college (no student loans) and will put my DD through medical school.

My DH and I work HARD in high stress jobs. My indulgences make me happy.

In my 20s, my DH bought me my engagement ring. At the time, it was the only diamond I had.
In my 30s I got my first pair of diamond studs.
My 40s and 50s added numerous tennis bracelets and to other jewelry with diamonds. For my birthday this month, I'm getting a vintage 1960 platinum and diamond necklace with 15 carats of diamonds. I found it on ebay, through a reputable vintage reseller at a wonderful price. So if you educate yourself, you can purchase vintage pieces that provide better value.

Regarding ethical issues and deBeers, in the end I can live with it because almost everything we buy regularly has some exploitation-cruelty factor. Just think sneakers, computers, clothes and all the items at Walmart.

And all you investor friends, they've never lost money on an investment???

I don't see jewelry like an investment from which I could get money. However, a nice piece of jewelry, diamond or gold, will always be a nice piece. You can stop loving it, put it away in a drawer and find it back with pleasure 20 years later, and it will still be enjoyable, even if there is no way to make money out of it or if it's out of fashion.