Why do we buy new bags?!!

Why buy a used bag for 1/2 off when you can buy a new one for 1/2 off. With sales, outlets, sample sales, gilt, rue la la...why buy used? (exception being LV and other styles that don't go on sale)

I guess it would depend on the brand, wouldn't it?

In my case I collect Prada/Miu miu and I can say that I will never pay boutique prices for the boutique experience. All my bags were serious scores, as in 75% off of orig retail. And they are in great condition. They were acquired from Ebay, AFF, and YC.

If you are talking brands like Coach (esp MFF) and MK yes, I would buy new......but only on sale

I have never bought a bag on ebay, I have considered a couple that were no longer available in stores. But after a cooling off period, decided against it. I have not totally ruled it out and may consider in the future but only if a return is offered, I guess I'm afraid of getting burned. I shop online primarily because of where I live & rely on returns. I do sell my lightly used bags, because I do tend to want new bags ALL THE TIME!

I buy new because I would be SO angry to pay even half if it turned out be a fake, so don't want to run that risk.
I buy new because, I buy (Like papertiger) what is not IN right now, so it will be the bag you did not see everywhere in the mags or on celebrities, but it will be the classic that will last always. I buy 'safe colors' that will go with most of my wardrobe.
I like the smell of a new bag :tender:
I like the service and especially the after-service from the brand I tend to buy with

..... but there is a limit to what i will pay for a bag!
I think I am done with my collection as I am really happy, thankful and satisfied with what I have:cloud9:

So far, I'm lucky with my Ebay purchases. I have some good deals (looks like new Jimmy Choo Maddy, 250€, and brand new Louis Vuitton Petillante Clutch 350€ and all of them are authentic). But basically I only buy what I like so it doesn't matter if it's new or pre-loved, when I have the money and I really love the bag I buy it.

I buy new because I want to know that I was the only person who owned it. Although I only buy new, I would never pay full retail price with the exception of maybe a few brands. I only buy bags that I LOVE and I know I'm going to use for years to come. I'm not really into trends and I prefer classic styles/colors. And as someone mentioned before, there are so many sample sale sites, etc. these days so it really makes no sense to buy used when you can buy new at a very similar price.

I guess it depends, but to me buying a bag from a person on eBay isn't quite the same experience as going to the boutique itself, strolling in, inspecting all the bags, and choosing to take one home. There's an experience in buying a bag new IMHO, that isn't there when buying a pre-loved bag, or even buying a bag through an online store.

At the same time, as much as I love all bags - there's something special about the ones that I had to search for, call up boutiques, flagships, and department stores to find. Even the ones where I've gotten average-bad service make funny tales, and it isn't the same experience when buying from a fellow bag enthusiast on a resale site.

I guess I will have to get used to it, though, there are several prelovedBals on fashionablyyours.com (N/A) that have my name on them :graucho:

I rarely buy New bags.. Most are my bags are pre-owned.. and have wear on them.. The reason I like different and intesting bags with exotic leather as snake ect... those come at quite a high price so used works.. Also the rare bags are normally the ones I miss out on.

As far a selling bags I agree this is a losing proposition, even when the economy was better resale on bags was awful and just not worth the trouble.. But purchasing great bags in very good to excellent condition is a great deal.. If you buy it pre-owned and you just do not like it you can sell it with out taking a lose and the is the best that can be done on the bag market...

Now I do agree with PaperTiger on they why of buying new...
The Customer Service is amazing at the HandBag Stores
I get what a want now..
And most of all there is nothing like walking out of Gucci with that brand new bag in your hand..

There is the entire experience in buying new, IMO - the packaging, the new smell, the shopping bag, etc. Additionally, ebay is notoriously unreliable. Like it has been mentioned, one person's "like new" is another person's "well used". I am not interested in a bag that has potentially been on a restroom floor, has been exposed to pets or cigarette smoke or has carried someone else's hairbrush. I'd just as soon avoid the minefield that auction sites are and buy what I can see and touch.

My problem is that I fall in love with a bag, use it a few times, but then tire of it so quickly, I always find something wrong with it even though I loved it at first (too heavy, too many pockets, not enough pockets, too big, too small, etc, etc, etc) I keep thinking the 'perfect' bag is out there but I have yet to find it so I keep buying (much to my husband's dismay!).