Why do we buy new bags?!!

Gnomesy

Oct 28, 2011
I won't buy a new bag again, but I have this Marc by Marc Jacobs bag I'm trying to sell. I carried it maybe 5 times and it still looks and smells new so I thought it could get like 3/4 of the value back on ebay. Thankfully I listed it with a reserve or I would have sold my bag for not even $70! :amazed:

Why does everyone buy new bags when barely used ones are almost free?

Good question

I always try to think and research a prospective new purchases for as long as possible, mistakes are costly and I don't have time or the energy to return and resell.

I buy new because

I want what I want when I want it

When I want it I want it forever

My style never really changes although I like to dress differently everyday

I value the customer service that comes after buying new

I don't have my own PayPal account :shame:

In fact I only buy per loved when it's the ONE I know I missed out on earlier or when I wouldn't be able to afford it comfortably (I mean croc prices are thought the roof) or when the perfect bag just happens to be per-loved

Resale value has really gone down on a lot of brands. It's kind of like buying a car or a diamond. Once you take it home, it loses most of it's value. I think it's a combination of things.

1) ebay & bonanza, etc have proven to be risky. Even though most transactions go well, the few bad eggs really do ruin the whole bunch. Not just for straight up scams but for SNAD situations too. I always wonder if the person is telling the truth about condition. I now only buy from trusted, known sellers. Sometimes it's just worth the extra money to have a new bag that is returnable.

2) Condition, condition, condition. It all depends on what your bag looks like. One person's "LIKE NEW" is another person's "WELL USED".

3) How well you display your bag on ebay. Ive witnessed two of the same bag selling on ebay (many times) and the one with the clear, detailed pictures always earns more money than the one without good pics & description.

4) Style. Just because you like the bag doesn't mean it's a popular style for the majority of people. It doesn't matter the brand, I've found this out myself too... :yes:

I don't buy new bags as a rule, unless they are a lower price point. I think the last new bag I bought was a michael kors (on sale) from Last Call this past summer.

You would seriously be surprised at how many people do NOT buy anything on the 'bay. I have never met anybody who buys/sells there. Only here on tPF do I find people who do anything with eBay.

I won't buy a new bag again, but I have this Marc by Marc Jacobs bag I'm trying to sell. I carried it maybe 5 times and it still looks and smells new so I thought it could get like 3/4 of the value back on ebay. Thankfully I listed it with a reserve or I would have sold my bag for not even $70! :amazed:

Why does everyone buy new bags when barely used ones are almost free?

I buy most of my bags like-new used on Ebay or Bonanza, actually. The price is usually halved or better, except with a few premium brands.

Most of the brand new bags I own have been picked up from my local TJ Maxx for a fraction of the suggested retail.

That's not to say that my means of getting bags is all that common though. Most girls I know will walk right into a store or boutique and buy a brand new bag at full retail. (Most of these girls only wear Coach though, and Coach bags go on sale at Macy's and Dillards very often and can even beat out ebay prices a lot of the time.)

The amount you can get back really depends on the bag, I think. Some brands and styles hold value more than others. If you are buying a bag you're not sure of, it's always good to look into these things.

Good luck selling your bag.

I like new bags because it stands for my feeling. When I want to do some changes of my life, I desire to buy some new items like bag, clothing ( with discount price). New things encourage me to move on and learn more. Maybe you all think it is odd manner. Frankly I don't think so. I like new bags, love its new luster, new fur smell, it's amazing. So brand new bags comfort me much. I enjoy in this kind of feeling.

You would seriously be surprised at how many people do NOT buy anything on the 'bay. I have never met anybody who buys/sells there. Only here on tPF do I find people who do anything with eBay.
:salute: (I was trying to find hand waving icon but this was the best I could come up with.) Me! I'm an "ebay/internet" virgin! I've never bought or sold anything on line. Bags that I've tired of, I've given to charity.

I've only known from buying new and every time I attempt to consider buying a bag on ebay, I chicken out. There is something extraordinarily beautiful about achieving the bag of your dreams and breaking it in to suit your taste. Most every premier designer bag I've owned I bought at presale and saved close to 30% and that's enough incentive for me. My motto is, "If I can't afford it I can't buy it".

I will buy used bags in consignment stores where I can personally inspect it, try it on for size, etc. But generally I prefer to wait for a sale or go to Winners/Marshalls and get a new one.

My husband buys/sells on eBay for his hobby stuff and it's a real hassle - dealing with strangers who might or might not be honest, missing the delivery and having to drive to the ends of the earth to pick up the parcel, no returns if you end up not liking it, etc.

I tried selling some Coach bags (that I bought at consignment stores and ended up not liking) and didn't get a nibble. Like the OP I had a reserve price, otherwise a (retail) $300 bag would have gone for $5, and I got no bids at all on some others.

I buy new because buying something pre-loved (other than Vintage) doesn't appeal to me, especially if it's still available in stores.

Also, I don't want to risk paying a lot of money for a used bag that I can't smell beforehand for smoke or mustiness.

If it's something I've missed out on, I'll definitely consider buying pre-loved, but only after getting it authenticated here.

I actually don't really buy new bags, unless I spot a great bargain. Even clothes I've been buying vintage in the last year or so. I like the idea of an item having a story behind it, and the discount of course. It's not for everyone but I am very careful with online purchases, and don't mind so much about a bag not being in perfect condition.

Was planning on going for a new bag for my first premier designer purchase but ended up buying a second-hand bag, and am now going to start a collection of Vintage Mulberry - so any bags I buy for the forseeable future will all be pre-loved :smile:

I am a proud preowned bag enthusiast. I have come to the realization that for the amount one spends on a new bag you can buy "just like new" or "perfect condition" bags at nearly half off orig paid. I like to think of them as investments, so I prefer spending it on premium designer pre loved "it" bags that are limited edition or classics. The more unusual the better. I buy and sell preowned bags and get satisfaction of getting a steal and knowing if I ever decide to sell it, I will get close to what I paid or more. I have come acorss buying bad apples when purchasing, which is why Paypal is a great tool. The good has out weighed the bad.

Last edited: