Why do some sellers keep the bidder ID invisible to other bidders?

Here's a question ........... I have been running private auctions for the last couple months for the very reasons listed above, privacy for the buyer, scammers, unscrupulous sellers trying to get my buyer to look at their auctions.
BUT, I had a buyer disappear ............... so I filed the non paying bidder report and waited the very long amount of time Ebay makes you wait.
I will relist, and I will leave negative for the FLAKE that won and went MIA.
BUT with the private auction, noone can see who the person was that went MIA ............. any suggestions --- I'd like to reference the buyer in my relist description, but I don't think I can do that???? HELP!

How ridiculous! :yucky: :yucky: :yucky:

No, I don't WANT my high end purchases made public. My spending habits are my own business and that doesn't make me "ashamed" and I certainly don't buy sexually explicit items.

I agree with Japster and everyone else who has supported the reasons for private auctions. If I were to bid on a high-end item, I would specifically ask that the seller make it private if it wasn't already. My favorite ebay sellers are conduct their auctions this way.

I totally agree! :lol: Why would anyone want others too see how much she spends on auctions? Many well known reputable power sellers keep their bidders private. As long as they see the feedback, that's good enough for me and usually is also good enough for them. I know of a case where a seller sold a slew of one cent email recipes (it wasn't private) to build up positive fb, but that's few and far between and doesn't change my mind in preferring private bidder auctions. There's enough feedback that lists what I've purchased so the seller wouldn't have to worry about it. It hasn't deterred me to bid on auctions that aren't private but I can't stand freaks emailing me to buy their fake crap or second chance offer scams not because I buy nasty stuff. Of course it's nice to see what they've sold if you're not famliar with the seller but it's a catch 22 in that respect but for sake of the OP's question, as a buyer these are my reasons.

Here's a question ........... I have been running private auctions for the last couple months for the very reasons listed above, privacy for the buyer, scammers, unscrupulous sellers trying to get my buyer to look at their auctions.
BUT, I had a buyer disappear ............... so I filed the non paying bidder report and waited the very long amount of time Ebay makes you wait.
BUT with the private auction, noone can see who the person was that went MIA ............. any suggestions --- I'd like to reference the buyer in my relist description, but I don't think I can do that???? HELP!

Members will see who the person is when you leave feedback they will just not beable to see what the item was. The only way other members can not see the feedback you leave is if you have your feedback set to private not your auctions.

Personaly I would not leave neg feedback because the buyer will just turn around & leave it for you & bring your score down. If they make a habit about not paying they will be gone soon so don't let it ruin your feedback. Get your fees back & just move on. I have about 10 npb a week & if I left neg everytime my feedback rating would suck. This is one thing I wish ebay would change about the feedback system.

I don't think it's a good idea to put the NPB id in your relist. Ebay could pull your listing if it got reported.

I could be wrong, but if you file a NPB report and wait until you get all the fees back (or like 7 days), I thought the seller could leave a negative and the buyer will be unable to retaliate. I thought I just read that somewhere.

*updated* As long as the buyer doesn't respond to the complaint. Here it is: http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/ebay-uhh-negative-npb-thing-17548.html?highlight=NPB+feedback

Yes if the buyer doesn't respond to the dispute they CAN leave you neg feedback but then the red dot will be removed & not count against you but the bad remark will remain. I DO NOT trust this system 100%.
Bad remarks don't look good on your feedback to buyers even if ebay changes the rating. It will then show as rating removed & I don't like that either.

I could be wrong, but if you file a NPB report and wait until you get all the fees back (or like 7 days), I thought the seller could leave a negative and the buyer will be unable to retaliate. I thought I just read that somewhere.

*updated* As long as the buyer doesn't respond to the complaint. Here it is: http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/ebay-uhh-negative-npb-thing-17548.html?highlight=NPB+feedback

GREAT! Thanks surferchick2 -- so far, no response to the NPB report. I look forward to leaving negative feedback .......... the buyer did a Buy It Now and then disappeared. What I think sucks is the length Ebay makes you wait until you can do this ............. WAY TOO LONG to leave the sellers options tied up!:cursing:

Members will see who the person is when you leave feedback they will just not beable to see what the item was. The only way other members can not see the feedback you leave is if you have your feedback set to private not your auctions.

Personaly I would not leave neg feedback because the buyer will just turn around & leave it for you & bring your score down. If they make a habit about not paying they will be gone soon so don't let it ruin your feedback. Get your fees back & just move on. I have about 10 npb a week & if I left neg everytime my feedback rating would suck. This is one thing I wish ebay would change about the feedback system.

I don't think it's a good idea to put the NPB id in your relist. Ebay could pull your listing if it got reported.

Sweetestsin30,
Thanks! Wow you have that many NPB a week? YIKES!
The auction was a private auction so nobody can reference who bought the item ....... so if I relist and say relisting due to a non paying bidder, there is no way anyone can see who the bidder/winner was. If they look in my completed auctions it will show it completed but noone can see the deadbeat! Oh, I will leave negative for the deadbeat!:cursing:

So I'm now going to continue with my private auctions to guard against spammers, privacy issues etc ....... AND I'm going to list fixed style listings with Immediate payment due.
I think I have it covered????

But I don't think it brings down the percentage right...plus there's a message saying they're a NPB. I'd leave a negative. That's what the feedback system is for. If everyone was afraid to leave appropriate feedback in fear of a retaliatory, there might as well not be a system to warn others in the ebay community. It's up to that individual but I wouldn't feel right and would proudly accept a retaliatory. I've seen sellers even post that they will mirror the feedback (even if it's their fault....not that they said THAT, but it's obvious what they meant). I carefully read negs/neutrals when I bid and I can usually tell who the problem is, and if the buyer/seller can't then I wouldn't want to do business with them anyway. I was involved with a swapping site where some people would be afraid to leave appropriate feedback in fear of being reciprocated and by not doing so, all these people would get shafted then they'd come on feeling bad saying they wish they had left that negative to warn others. Too late after a bunch of people were stolen from.

Sweetestsin30,
Thanks! Wow you have that many NPB a week? YIKES!
The auction was a private auction so nobody can reference who bought the item ....... so if I relist and say relisting due to a non paying bidder, there is no way anyone can see who the bidder/winner was. If they look in my completed auctions it will show it completed but noone can see the deadbeat! Oh, I will leave negative for the deadbeat!:cursing:

Your welcome.

Sometimes more on a good week. lol my ebay fees alone run me over $700.00 a month:throwup: but I guess that is the price to pay to have your items viewed all around the world:shrugs:

Yes I understand what you are saying but honestly I don't think buyers really care who the NPB was. Just say relist due to non paying bidder so others don't think you are selling tons of the same stuff & you dont get your auction pulled.
When you leave the neg nosey buyers can look at your "feedback left for others" & if you include the item in your feedback they will know what it was for.

If you plan on selling all the time you will have to let the negs for the NPB go or it could pull your score down so low. Then buyers will see your % & not take the time to see why & you will lose sells:sad:
I know it is hard believe me I used to let it stress me out but now I file the dispute,wait......close it, block the bidder & archive the sale so I dont have to look at it again. Doing it this way has kept my feedback at 99.8% with over 3000+.
Think of it like this.... neg feedback hurts the seller more than the buyer:yes:

But I don't think it brings down the percentage right...plus there's a message saying they're a NPB. I'd leave a negative. That's what the feedback system is for. If everyone was afraid to leave appropriate feedback in fear of a retaliatory, there might as well not be a system to warn others in the ebay community. It's up to that individual but I wouldn't feel right and would proudly accept a retaliatory. I've seen sellers even post that they will mirror the feedback (even if it's their fault....not that they said THAT, but it's obvious what they meant). I carefully read negs/neutrals when I bid and I can usually tell who the problem is, and if the buyer/seller can't then I wouldn't want to do business with them anyway. I
was involved with a swapping site where some people would be afraid to leave appropriate feedback in fear of being reciprocated and by not doing so, all these people would get shafted then they'd come on feeling bad saying they wish they had left that negative to warn others. Too late after a bunch of people were stolen from.

No once the rating is removed it doesn't bring down the % but you can still see the comment. My problem with this is buyers can be very nasty & leave untrue remarks to try to ruin your good name.
I had this happen once.

I left a neg for a non paying bidder & the freak left me 3 different negs saying they didn't purchase from me because I was a child molester & tried to get info about their child.BLAH BLAH BALH :cursing: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

I could not believe someone would post such a disgusting thing. I was sick. I had to put my feedback on private until ebay totally removed the remark & what makes it worse is ebay denied to remove it at first. I had to call & get really ugly before I got ahold of a understanding rep. It still makes my skin crawl when I think about it. My sales dropped over 50% when I had my feedback on private. The whole thing was a mess.

Another thing I deal with when I leave a neg is the buyer contacting me about leaving them neg. With so many NPB a week personally it is just to much for me to deal with so I only leave bad feedback when it has been left for me first. I'm sure everyone has different views on feedback this is just one of my many reasons I don't do it anymore.

I left a neg for a non paying bidder & the freak left me 3 different negs saying they didn't purchase from me because I was a child molester & tried to get info about their child.BLAH BLAH BALH :cursing: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

OMG...what a psycho!! How did he leave 3?? I'm glad those were removed but I couldn't imagine anyone would believe that! I hope the buyer was removed! Maybe I'm one of the few, but I always read feedback. I know how ridiculous some of it can be, and I've read some doozies so I NEVER go by the percentage. There can be so many reasons why negative/neutrals are left and I know better than to take a red mark seriously until I read it and then the seller's response. Sometimes I even go as far as read the buyer's feedback to see what the seller wrote if I have to. Most of the time it's obvious to who's in the wrong.

if you leave negative FB, it will show on that buyers profile, but the auction # will be private....unless they have private fb as well.