Why do Sales Assistants try to guess your size?

I agree.

I look smaller than I am, and yesterday a SA tried to tell me I was a 25. (I'm more like a 27) I guess it was flattering, but I was literally arguing with her - "No, really... this doesn't fit."

Exactly the same thing for me ...I wear a 26-27 and I ask for lets say a 26 and SO many SA's are like no no no youre definitely a 24 or a 25...and im like hmmm no I have like 6 pairs of this brand's jeans I think I know...ugh:rolleyes:

That's terrible!! I hate it when SA's get involved too much, they can help and be "kind" but too much involvement/following me around the store is just annoying.

Some of them won't let me leave the store until I buy something. Was shopping with my sister once and we were looking for a skirt for her, the SA seemed to have too much time on her hands and she insisted we wait until she gets her brother to go collect a new "shippment" from the car outside the mall, and it took ages, so we waited around and finally she told us to come back in 15 minutes after waiting nearly half and hour, we left and never returned!

:yucky: I hate pushy sales people...ones that INSIST that you should or shouldn't purchase something. however, in general I think SAs try to guess people's size in order to "help" (as if you don't know your own size! :rolleyes:) or flaunt their knowledge of sizing...the SA you encountered, however, was just plain rude and pushy! :yucky:

The SA you're talking about took it too far! I can understand if they recommend a different size because the item is a large/small make, but that was just a bad attitude! I hate it when SA's guess my size- sometimes they guess too big, sometimes too small. I find it worse when buying shoes- they never believe me when I tell them my size! (I have large feet compared to my height) I hate it when they try to convince you to buy something that you're obviously not happy with!

She wouldnt have wanted the same jacket as me, for one she was substantially thinnger than me and substantially shorter.I think she owns the shop and hires younger staff to work there. The jacket was a longer jacket and would have come to her ankles.

She just didnt want to remove it from the model.

I hate it when this happens to me with clothing sizes. I was in a store one time and I am a size zero or even a size one, depending if the denim runs really small or not. Well....i couldn't find my size in any of the shorts so an SA came over and started trying to help me. I guess he thought he knew my size? Lol. He didn't even ask my size, he just started looking and trying to find it. He pulled out all 00's and was like, "Here lemme get these in your size," and got another 00. I tried them on and they were WAY too tight. (I know my clothing size.) I couldn't even buttom them. I told the SA, "I think a zero would be better, thank you." But he goes and says, "No hun, I'm guessing your a 00." I ended up just buying the damn shorts to keep him happy because I really did not want to deal with it that day.
But when it comes to bras I am totally open to the SAs suggesting sizes because all bras run differently. VS Pink! bras run a whole cup size too small, as well as some of their demi cup sizes and their Dream Angels bras run a little big. I've only found sales assistants to at victoria's secrets to be very helpful and polite. I try not to take the "drawer" thing too seriously. (I'm an a/b and sometimes, or a lotta times, they don't hang up bras in my sizes and i have to look in the drawers where people say the unpretty bras are, but I really don't believe that.) I meann, they're bras. Who cares if I have to look in a drawer to get them, it's still the same bra, right? Although it would be nice to have them hang up more A's and B's, I suppose.

Usually they get my size right... except when it comes to jackets and bras. I have sort of large boobs (32D), a small waist (26-27), long legs, and fridge shoulders (36). When I got my burberry trench, the SA brought me a 0 (way too small once I'd buttoned it up), then a 2 (still too small), and so on. She was a little reluctant to go past the 2, but once I buttoned up the larger sizes she was happy with how they fit my midsection - she was worried that it'd be too big. I think I settled on either a six or an eight.

For about... six years I was convinced I was the same bra size. I relied way too heavily on finding my size with a measuring tape and as such, believed I could NEVER EVER be a different size. My good ol' 34B fit me from the time I was 9 until I was 15. And even then I kept wearing it until my boyfriend pointed out that I was strangling my poor chest. Every time I'd go to victoria's secret I'd have the SA take my size and time and time again it would be a 34B. One day, I decided to try a C. I was terrified and i don't know why. I felt like everyone was staring at me and talking about me behind my back. 32C was too small in the cup and the 34C fit my ribcage - barely. But I wore that happily until my stupid bras started stretching.
A couple months after that, I'm at bloomingdale's with my mom, finishing up Christmas shopping. Since my bras are getting droopy, floppy, and ill-fitting I ask if we can look through that section. I picked a few pairs of 34Cs, tried them on, and gave up. I HATED looking for bras. My favorite styles at VS had been discontinued, I felt strange about looking at any size other than 34B, and I just felt defeated. I'd more or less resigned myself to wearing ill-fitting bras until this SA brought different cuts and brands. They still didn't fit, so she thought for a second.
"You may be a 32D."
After the initial shock, I tried it. What a difference wearing the right size bra makes :smile:

So I guess it can sometimes be wanting to flatter the customer, or in both of my cases, wanting to make sure the customer wears the proper size and feels comfortable in it

SO rude! First time it happened, I just listened because, you know, I figured they know best [though i was PO'd]. But I regretted it as soon as I got home, because it looked like it would have. Have decided that I'll never let that happen again. The worse that could happen is a rude comment/look, but by now i have a tough skin :yes:

It happened to me today. She insisted the jacket i wanted was too small for me and wouldnt let me try it on. I was speechless!! She then tells me its her last one and cannot order another one in.

I walk out but then go back at lunch after seeing she was not there and tried it on and it fit perfectly. Even if it hadnt, who is she to tell me something is to small or big or whatever in such a rude manner? I appreciate a honest opinion but she just looked at me and judged.

It happens to me alot, last week another SA did the same thing and told me before i had even gone into the change rooms the top i was holding was too small.

My god. I felt horrible.
What a b*tch!!! I would be so upset. If it's a store where the SA's work for commission, I definitely wouldn't buy anything from a rude SA like that.

:tdown:

The only time anyone's ever tried to guess my size, they were right. I can be a size 2 or even a size 4, depending on the brand. Sames goes for jeans (but with European sizing). I've only ever once had an SA grab a size of a skirt I was looking at and give it to me to try on (she guessed I was a 2 and she was right). Still though, if I was an SA I wouldn't even try to guess. It's along the lines of asking a woman that looks a bit big in the stomach area how "far along" she is. You just shouldn't do it!

IMO, it's much more polite to simply ask, "If you don't mind me asking, what is your size? I can help you find whatever size you're looking for," in a POLITE MANNER. How hard is that?

I have no idea... I'm usually a 0 or 2. I was in Saks looking at a Carolina Herrera dress and the male SA said, "That would look fabulous on you. You have to try it on. Are you a 6?"

it's terrible rude for sales assistants to be so desperate in selling. I thought they should be convincing in selling and respect the customers' final decision in whether to purchase or not.

Ha, ha...this is a funny thread. Just yeterday, we were in a store looking for some dress pants for my husband. He is a size 34/32. We got an extremely helpful SA who kept insisting that she bring us 34/34 in every color and style for him to try on. I must have told her that he was a 34/32 a dozen times. She must have had something on her mind at the time, I guess...