why do people think it's ok to say mean things to waitresses???

That totally sucks. I don't think people should be demeaning to anyone. I'm sorry that happened to you. It's not appropriate to ask any kind of personal questions IMO.

The only time I've been slightly rude to a waitress is when she had it coming to her..... I did that was when I ate at Houston's steak house (which is so-so)... and you know after they serve you the food, our glasses were empty.. and she kept walking by and NOT acknowledging the table, she obviously seen the glasses were empty.... so i basically had to eat my food w/ out drinking ANYTHING :rant: Finally when I asked for water, the b*tch replied... don't worry, water is free (like i couldn't afford it or something), so I told her, b*tch, i didn't ask you how much it was, i asked you to get me some so why don't you do your job and GET IT and oh by the way, can you also get the manager so I can complain about your really rude behavior? I mean, gees, just because she was in a bad mood, it is very unprofessional to take the bad mood w/ you into your job, regardless what job it is. I told the manager I get better service at Starbucks... LOL

Sorry to hear about you experience.

When I first moved to Oregon I got a job as a Waitress. I was so traumatized by the experience that I treat every server with the utmost manners (please and thank you!) and of course an excellent tip. On the other hand I also expect great service. Dont let one table ruin your night...there are always going to be people who dont know how to respect others.

I also have friends who treat waitstaff poorly. This only causes me to have to tip them better and treat them nicer.

It's not just waitresses, it's all customer service staff that should be treated nicer. A lot of people walk into a store upset about something going on in their life and then yell at the cashier because something is not on sale or they can't return something. Let's remember that cashiers don't make the rules. We aren't personally telling you you can't do something. We are doing what we are told. Besides you get a lot more if you are nice.

HOWEVER with that being said, I treat you like you treat me, especially since you're serving me. So if you come to me with a bad attitude, then I'm not going to give you the time of day because you are serving me. I will go to your manager and I will not tip you. I do not tip for bad service. I know of some people who will give the bare minimum percentage, but I give the amount to the next dollar if you want to mess with me.

Now as for your table, I'm sorry that they were idiots. There are a lot of people in this world that get something from thinking they are better than you. Don't let them get you down. You have to shake them haters off.

I think no matter where I eat there are always some jerks giving the staff a hard time. I especially hate it to see people snap their fingers to get the attention of a waitress. I mean really. I am always nice to who is serving me and can never complain about service. I also have said to waitresses "how do you have patience to deal with such jerks" when another customer is being rude. I have seen one boss tell a table to leave because he was abusing his staff but most of the time I feel that the serrvers are on their own.
Don't take anything personally, I wish there was some snappy comeback I could telll you to say that would make the people who are rude look like total jerks but I am sure by them just opening their mouths the people around already know this.
Hugs.

It sucks that you were treated horribly :sad: Most people seem to think they are allowed to do so because they're going to tip you no matter what. It's rare that people tip on the service, and not on 15-20% of the bill. I've encountered horrible service myself, and, surpise surprise, it's always in the summer when the high school kids are outta school and they're waiting on me/my party. I have nothing against high schoolers gettin jobs (in fact, I want my 17 yr old sister to get one!) but, when the money doesn't really mean anything to them, they don't try. For bad service myself, I either don't tip if they were that bad, or, leave a small tip. I never complain to the manager unless its dreadful (only happened twice in my life). I always hope that by seeing a small tip, they will try harder next time. But, even still, there is no reason to be rude to someone.

elongreach said:
HOWEVER with that being said, I treat you like you treat me, especially since you're serving me. So if you come to me with a bad attitude, then I'm not going to give you the time of day because you are serving me. I will go to your manager and I will not tip you. I do not tip for bad service. I know of some people who will give the bare minimum percentage, but I give the amount to the next dollar if you want to mess with me.

:true:

I'm the same way. Do unto others and all that. If I get bad service I am super stingy with my tip, if I even leave one (but it has to be truly horrible for me to give nothing). If I get great service I'm super generous. There are some AMAZING waiters/waitresses out there. And I always appreciate those.

Same with customer service in any area. Some are annoying and act like I'm bothering THEM! As if it isn't their job or something. I worked for a fast food restaurant for my first job and really enjoyed it. But I treated all my customers the way I expected to be treated.

My brother is a waiter and gets mad at me if I don't leave a large tip. But a tip is not an automatic. It's an EXTRA earned on top of the bill. Sorry...the tip amount is going to correlate to the service provided.

elongreach said:
It's not just waitresses, it's all customer service staff that should be treated nicer. A lot of people walk into a store upset about something going on in their life and then yell at the cashier because something is not on sale or they can't return something. Let's remember that cashiers don't make the rules. We aren't personally telling you you can't do something. We are doing what we are told. Besides you get a lot more if you are nice.

Yep! I was a cashier for a good while and I would just cry all the time and come home depressed. Thats why I cant be a waitress, I already know I couldnt handle it.

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you ilzabet, I know how you feel. Forget that guy, he can shove that salad up his :censor:! They dont know you, who are they to talk to you like that? Just think of it as he doesnt matter (he really doesnt) and you will most likely never see him again.

Marly said:
Everyone- be nice to waitresses- they are handling your food!:sneaky:

exactly what I was thinking.

Plus, after my brother working at a resturant (I can't legally work yet :sad: ) I've learned from him that waitresses and waiters do work very hard. He also taught me to tip well when I'm out with my friends. He always talked about hating having teenagers come in, so I've been taught to tip well. :yes:

abandonedimages said:
Yep! I was a cashier for a good while and I would just cry all the time and come home depressed. Thats why I cant be a waitress, I already know I couldnt handle it.

Cashiers get a lot of the torture because they are in the front lines. Anyone in the front lines gets most of the yelling. The managers come in to calm the problem down. For the most part they come out looking like the hero because they have the authorization to return an item or make a situation right.

I always tell my coworkers not to let people get to them. If they are going to cause a problem, come get me or someone else. In our business they have no right to be rude to us and we have the right to refuse service.

I think it speaks volumes regarding a person's character or lack thereof, how they treat others and I mean anyone, regardless of what they do to earn a living. Silence condones the behavior either way.

Anyone who has ever waited tables (like me) have a real respect for food service workers. I have been out with friends though, who treat these people like crap and it really bothers me. It is hard work.

elongreach said:
I treat you like you treat me, especially since you're serving me. So if you come to me with a bad attitude, then I'm not going to give you the time of day because you are serving me.
I feel the same way. It's a two-way relationship. You give and take and they give and take.

Happy people do not treat others in a mean way. Only people who are unhappy with their situation and life usually act this way. There is always alot of underlying things going on in their personal lives to make them lash out with someone they do not know. feel sorry for them.:yes:

I'm sorry that this happened to you...

It think that kind of behavior is RAMPANT in any industry where there is any level of customer service involved. I've worked retail positions back in college, and people were incredibly rude.

I hope that you feel better! :flowers: