Why do people purchased LV bags before getting authenticated here?

Is it because you're afraid the pics posted by the seller may be stolen you have to see the bag yourself then take pics and get it authenticated here? Or, you're in a hurry to buy or you fear others might get the bag before you so you jumped into buying??

I know many others get an Ebay listing authenticated here first before buying but i read many others doing the other way around. I dont get why they do that. :confused1:

I think it's possibly for several reasons:

- it could be a good deal that someone may not want to risk others seeing
- buyers who aren't aware of authentication services
- there is some protection for items through ebay/paypal/credit cards
- item arrives and looks different from posted pictures
- buyers who know a bit about the brand and take a chance
- uncooperative sellers who won't provide sufficient photos or properly take photos so buyer takes their own (and I'm guessing there's no red flags in the first place)
- find listing late and there's not enough time to get more photos, etc. or list it on the authentication thread

Some authenticators are more strict/disapproving about authenticating after the purchase, while in other brands it's not a big deal.

Lack of knowledge (my first two 'LV' items turned out to be fake but I didn't know then that I could get them authenticated here) or lack of time (I bought them in a consignment store and if I had taken pictures and gone away to get an answer they would have been gone when I got back). I only buy LV at the LV store now because I'm scared of getting cheated again.

Thank you for the feedback now i understand better.

Like what percentage of LV handbags are fake being sold in Ebay?
What about in Bonanza?

Is it true receipts are being faked too??

I've never bought a purse in LV store so Im not familiar with authentic receipt.
I used to think if with receipt it must be authentic.
Now Im not sure if a receipt is real or fake.
Is there a guide here on authentic LV receipts?

It's also the old addage, "if it's too good to be true, it is". If you go with that, you will most always be right. I buy and sell on EBay and do sell LVs from time to time. I feel very bad that people have to be so guarded. It's a great thing to get a handbag in great shape for $300-$500 less! Ask questions, truly look at all pictures in full detail, make sure seller has good reviews and don't be afraid to ask seller about reviews. i recently got my first negative review in 6 years over an LV Speedy and feel terrible about it. The buyer did a buy it now in 10 seconds and then realized that others sold for less on EBay. i tried to explain that no one made her bid and then she wanted money off and things just got worse. She got the bag and then made false claims about its condition. The bag was in great condition - so much so I sold it for more than she had paid to an ecstatic and appreciative buyer! Now I will be asked about her comments and will answer honestly so don't be afraid to ask questions and don't let it stop you. In 6 years I've had great experiences and met great people - all except for that one. It's a great place to both buy and sell your bags and keep your collection growing.

All helpful feedback. :smile:

Im wondering if it is true the allegations made by Louis Vuitton company when they sued Ebay that 99% of LVs auctioned in Ebay are fake? That seems ridiculous claim?
Like what percentage are fake, in your opinion?

I heard there are less fake LVs in Bonanza, is that true?

Why do most sellers only have copy of receipt, do the LV store normally do not give out original receipt? Or, the sellers do not want to give out their orginal receipt?

I don't know how to determine authentic receipts though. Are there fake receipts exactly like the real reciepts?

Landscape said:
Buying first then will post pics here to get authenticated. What if fake you have risk not getting it returned?

Some people shop on the authentication page, scoping out good deals on recently authenticated bags. They grab it before the asker. If I am fairly confident it's authentic and the deal is great, I would not post it before buying.

Why do most sellers only have copy of receipt, do the LV store normally do not give out original receipt? Or, the sellers do not want to give out their orginal receipt?
I don't know how to determine authentic receipts though. Are there fake receipts exactly like the real reciepts?

Most people keep their original receipts as these contain personal information, the copy of the receipt normally means people have blacked out their name/address/cc details etc. LV gives you the original receipt.

Fake receipts have a different format to real receipts, and are normally made of differing paper etc.

I think it's possibly for several reasons:

- it could be a good deal that someone may not want to risk others seeing
- buyers who aren't aware of authentication services
- there is some protection for items through ebay/paypal/credit cards
- item arrives and looks different from posted pictures
- buyers who know a bit about the brand and take a chance
- uncooperative sellers who won't provide sufficient photos or properly take photos so buyer takes their own (and I'm guessing there's no red flags in the first place)
- find listing late and there's not enough time to get more photos, etc. or list it on the authentication thread

Some authenticators are more strict/disapproving about authenticating after the purchase, while in other brands it's not a big deal.

I think this member pretty much summed it up! You still have to be careful with listings that offer receipts. Receipts can be faked very easily. Many of the fakes come with LV tags and receipts. The bad fakes have those dark yellow cards or the tags hanging on a string:nono:

A few years ago I ended up with a fake Trouville--it looked so real but I felt something was "off" about the bag. Sure enough the lining was a few shades lighter than my White MC Alma and the colors of the LV's were wrong by one color!! I had to hold my real bag up against the fake to be sure though. It was one of those superfakes and I got fooled and the seller to this day still thinks that fugly bag is real!!

I think all of the above covers most of the reasons. Also, if someone has previously purchased items from a seller before and everything was authentic, they might become "comfortable" with the buyer and not expect a scam.