Why do people buy pre-loved Chanel at such high prices?

@classybags4ever I totally agree with the financial security- I started luxury bags as well when I turned 30 and Chanel even later.
The influencer thing is true I believe...

BUT:
I feel I have to comment on the „stretch the dollar/savings“ issue.
I am not overly wealthy or rich or anything close to that.
I just find pleasure and enjoyment in fashion/ luxury brands and their history etc...

I don‘t „give my last Euro“ to buy from these brands, but I have a strictly planned budget. My income is meticulously divided into my expenses and my savings accounts.
The last account I feed is the one for pleasure -> luxury purchases in my case.

I am not stretching anything and I am pretty sure most of TPF members are doing the very same. I just chose to use a small part of my income towards luxury purses and that is indeed limited.:noworry:

I only bought from the store but I consider preloved. And if it means I can save 200€ or more on a „like new“ bag. I would at least think about it.

I agree that when you use every money you have and cannot afford to pay off the credit card by the end of the month- THAT is stretching the dollars ... that means something is wrong I guess...:-s

I buy mostly from boutiques, but have also paid premium prices (e.g. close to retail) for pre-loved pieces. I only do this for very specific pieces that have been on my wishlist for years and cannot be 'substituted'. For example, a vintage Diana in caviar, or a mini in midnight blue caviar (a specific blue that is so deep that it can pass off as black in certain lighting).

For more classic pieces (e.g. black classic flaps), I will just buy from the boutiques so that I can be sure that it is authentic. If the price for a pre-loved classic flap is good, there probably is a catch somewhere...

@classybags4ever I totally agree with the financial security- I started luxury bags as well when I turned 30 and Chanel even later.

BUT:
I just find pleasure and enjoyment in fashion/ luxury brands and their history etc...

I don‘t „give my last Euro“ to buy from these brands, but I have a strictly planned budget. My income is meticulously divided into my expenses and my savings accounts.

I am not stretching anything and I am pretty sure most of TPF members are doing the very same. I just chose to use a small part of my income towards luxury purses and that is indeed limited.:noworry:

I only bought from the store but I consider preloved. And if it means I can save 200€ or more on a „like new“ bag. I would at least think about it.

I agree that when you use every money you have and cannot afford to pay off the credit card by the end of the month- THAT is stretching the dollars ... that means something is wrong I guess...:-s

Completely agree, it's great to be strict and budget for luxury items! I think for me I'd rather just buy less luxury than buy preloved.

I do think there are some who literally spend their last penny of savings on bags, or incur debt to buy them (based on TPF threads and comments and observations of friends and family who have lived in NYC and seen women go into debt from buying LV, chanel bags :sad: ). When my husband and I were starting out and saving money we weren't even thinking about luxury! Now, it's treat and reward for all our hard work :smile:

Now, it's treat and reward for all our hard work
That’s how it should be. No one should go into debt for a bag or luxury item. Nor do I think anyone should dip into savings that is set aside for retirement, home ownership or any other essential. And, in terms of savings, there should always be a cushion in case of calamity. Bf one thinks of a luxury item like a bag costing usd thousands. I don’t think that has anything t do with preloved or boutique or both shopping experiences. Some extremely wealthy people buy preloved. Some people who are less wealthy save to buy boutique and some buy both. there are choices for everyone :biggrin:.

Last edited:
Simple: supply and demand. Chanel holds its value pretty well and doesn’t oversaturate the market with mass production. As prices continue to rise and more bags aren’t available people seek alternate ways to get hard to find colors, skins, items.

Don’t know enough about the exact numbers, but quick scan on preloved resellers indicate there are a ton of handbags for sell, especially black. I used to always think it was a safe bet, but from any other brand I find Chanel the most oversaturated in the preloved market.

currently I mainly look for vintage Hermes, not chanel, but I think there is a specific thread. . .https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/reference-master-list-of-brick-and-mortar-com-resellers.42499/
also, on Tpf, https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/chanel-resellers-consignment-recommendations-only.637137/

japanese: anything Rakuten. I remember trying to find a specific Japanese reseller on Rakuten (it’s a higher end Japanese market of sorts) earlier this year, and getting a notice that rakuten was out of business. . . if you type Rakuten in the query box in the Hermes or Chanel sub forum, I believe there should be more discussions by TPFers beyond the threads posted here.
For bargain shoppers (I like to buy rescue birkins and then send to docride for custom designs — like camo), I like brand JFA and Brandoff on eBay. (If you are US based, factor in your states sales tax plus approx. 10% customs/carriage via DHL. I like the Japanese resellers bc Japan has very strict laws re counterfeits and they seem to describe flaws honestly. But the best surprise piece I bought this year was a pristine, 2018 BB Kelly longue wallet phw (For about 4k usd) and a Pristine 2002 28 blue sellier kelly (For about 6K usd) both from Japanese resellers that I had honestly never heard of, apologies I cannot recall the names. I literally found them by doing an ebay search for what I wanted and going through listings. I’ve also bought from Let-trade which I think is Hong Kong;I don’t remember, but it’s on one of the recommended reseller lists on tpf. (Pls do double check and do your own due diligence though).
you can also plug in and search this thread once you’ve found a seller with what you want: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/discuss-hermes-resale-ebay-sellers.643531/page-536

US based resellers I like are listed on the Hermes recommended reseller list, but there should also be one on the chanel sub forum specifically: many tpfers like fashionphile (though less after Neiman Marcus bought a stake); Ann’s fabulous finds; Yoogis closet (I noticed YC seemed to have. A lot of chanel); I also recall Sandia Exchange haute Gallery from years ago. . .

There is also something vault, maybe goodluxvault from bOsRox on which seems on the up and up re Hermes but I haven’t bought anything and you’d have to do your own due diligence re authentication. I don’t believe it’s on a recommended reseller list. I do think I saw an interesting stingray boy or python chanel Flap, but again, you’d have to authenticate.

and there are a few shops in Malleries.com.

EU - luxury zurich; now luxury shops.

if you need more specifics, feel free to pm; I don’t want to take up more space here lol. However, everyone has to do their own due diligence re authentication etc. HTH
Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful! I take a look on rakuten and ebay. :smile:

Reactions: 880
I like both. A lot of people are into certain styles that are no longer made/were seasonal and they missed out on but still want. For example, I got a Reissue Camera Bag in matte gray this year that I wanted for agesssss but couldn’t afford when it was out in 2008 and I was 18 and then they stopped making it.

Vintage Chanel is definitely its own category too in my opinion! Has a different “look” than the newer bags. Vintage also used to be a great way to save money on Chanel back in the day, both of my Classics I got for less than the cost of a WOC now! My Mini was like $750 and my M/L was $1100. There used to be a lot of deals like that but it seems like the resale market caught on and caught up very quickly, especially over the last year. The pre-loved market definitely used to be different than it is today with a bigger savings to be found!

I prefer new from store, but I'd say a fourth of my collections consists of pre-loved. I am similar to you OP, unless it's a significant bargain (more like at least 50% off from current retail price, better 70% off, which is possible with vintage LV) I won't be too keen on getting pre-loved. I do accept worn condition though (just not falling apart, visible stains etc.).

While I was hunting for a discontinued colour I still couldn't bring myself to pay the retail price for an item on ebay...

BUT:

I agree with this completely. I'm financially comfortable and make pretty good money, but if I can save a few dollars here and there, that's still money saved that can go towards something else, for example retirement savings, an extra mortgage payment, or another purchase. There's a reason wealthy people stay wealthy, and part of that is they aren't wasting money in places that aren't necessary. Being able to get more "value" out of every dollar is an important life skill to have, as it allows you to get a better ROI on every dollar you spend.

I agree with this completely. I'm financially comfortable and make pretty good money, but if I can save a few dollars here and there, that's still money saved that can go towards something else, for example retirement savings, an extra mortgage payment, or another purchase. There's a reason wealthy people stay wealthy, and part of that is they aren't wasting money in places that aren't necessary. Being able to get more "value" out of every dollar is an important life skill to have, as it allows you to get a better ROI on every dollar you spend.
Amen! :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Reactions: keodi
Ladies, when I met my wife 20 years ago, I bought her two Chanel bags. She never used them. They are still in the wardrobe in dust bags.

Are you telling me they are worth money? I am thinking of buying an MV Agusta, and contributions would help....

Both bags have a chain link type strap on leather, and are flap type. One is black, one is pink. The reciepts are probably still in the bags. I think I paid around AUD2000 each for them. Are you telling me I could sell them?

EDIT: The black one from memory looks just like the one in the Pinkrose398 photo.

Reactions: beemeowmeow
@captaincustard, I give away or consign bags, but this forum is filled with TPFers experienced with direct selling their bags. If you wish to sell your bags yourself, you might want to check out the authenticate this thread in the relevant sub forum for the types of pictures needed to authenticate and how a listing is worded. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-chanel.937412/page-1884
i believe that some successful individual sellers also obtain an authentication certificate from a paid service. TPFers recommended etinceler https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/is-etinceler-reputable.1028222/ In the US, fashionphile, Ann’s fabulous finds and Yoogis closet are popular consignors. Japanese resellers were also considered relatively safe bc of strict laws against counterfeits.
good luck! Pls keep us posted!

Last edited:
@captaincustard, I give away or consign bags, but this forum is filled with TPFers experienced at selling their bags. If you wish to sell your bags yourself, you might want to check out the authenticate this thread in the relevant sub forum for the types of pictures needed to authenticate and how a listing is worded.
i believe that some successful individual sellers also obtain an authentication certificate from a paid service. In the US, fashionphile, Ann’s fabulous finds and Yoogis closet are popular consignors. Japanese resellers were also considered relatively safe bc of strict laws against counterfeits.

I recently visited a Chanel Boutique, and there was a line of people to get in (social distancing protocol). It really made me wonder how many are there to buy a bag for themselves vs how many are one of those individual resellers just trying to flip for a profit. I know I've seen at least one Ebay seller flipping a brand new bag from this specific boutique (they stated so in the description). So sad. People like me then can't get what I want. The bag I wanted was sold out everywhere. They only get like 2 per boutique of seasonal items. The professional resellers are hoarding them all up to flip for a profit and leaving us with nothing! I will never buy from a reseller.

@classybags4ever, ITA. I dont buy from resellers who flip for profit. I think there is a big difference between those who flip and those who accept consignments from individuals who purchase for personal use and are essentially cleaning out their closet. my local chanels are Madison Avenue and 57th st where there is sometimes a bottleneck to get into the foyer, but most of the people shopping during covid are local customers. I hope that once you get into the Chanel in question, you will be able to find what you want! Good luck!

Reactions: Gimmethebag