Why Do People Buy Fake Designer Bags Or Fake Designer Anything?

BagLovingMom said:
For once this lawyer lacks a passionate opinion! Who knows why many members of the general public buy fake I doubt the answer is a uniform one?!! I have a fake Cabas Alto and 25 pieces of real LV. I use my fake as a diaper bag, it's wonderful, my son has thrown up on it many times, for me that's practicality. Judge me if you'd like!

Well theres a reason I never thought of! Well said :nuts:

Where I am, fakes start at $10. Most of the stuff is kate spades, Pradas and Coach. Three years ago, the cheapest I know of is $30.

I don't judge people who buy fakes cause there can be several reasons why. Heck, one of my friends don't even care when the kate spade label fell off. She likes the stripes. The other friend I have likes black backpacks but doesn't care if it's a fake Dior or kate spade. I used to have fakes because I couldn't afford the real ones and I like how kate spade bags look. Then when I started working and have cash to buy stuff I actually want, I went to the kate spade store and bluefly.com and bought stuff off there.

I hate fakes- I will say it! I am a fashion student and I devote my life to fashion and I find these in no circumstance okay. As someone else said , they promote organized crime, child labor, etc. And more importantly they look awful. I feel some people buy them to act like they have real ones(one girl at my school claims here Multicolor speedy is real even when it is clearly fake and sitting next to my real one), I know some people buy for the style but if you like the style you can find another bag similar but not a fake. And if you cant afford the bag buy a little something from the designer like a key chain or makeup bag, etc. Buying a fake doesnt show your love for the designer- it is a crime against them and their hard work and design. This is seriously my biggest hate, or pet peeve. I dont mean to offend anyone but these are my thoughts. I could go on and on but I wont. I have actually written papers for school on this and given many pursuasive speeches on this- I love designers and dont like to see their work destroyed by ugly fakes.

BagLovingMom said:
For once this lawyer lacks a passionate opinion! Who knows why many members of the general public buy fake I doubt the answer is a uniform one?!! I have a fake Cabas Alto and 25 pieces of real LV. I use my fake as a diaper bag, it's wonderful, my son has thrown up on it many times, for me that's practicality. Judge me if you'd like!

I LOVE IT ... that's the reason why you buy a fake ... so that someone can barf :sick: on it (let's see, children, friend after too much partying, etc.) ... THAT'S HILARIOUS!

The only one I have, is a 'fake' L/V Fur Speedy which my husband saw on eBay (I had joked to him about the 'fur' and ... what is it going to do, keep your wallet warm?!). The only time I use it, is when we have a nasty snowstorm because you can quite literally just shake the snow off!

i have a story that would be a great method to either induce vomitting or crying!!
yetsurday i was at a store buying some socks for my son. I was waiting in line to pay when my eyes caught a lovely burgendy paddington on the arm of the lady in front of me. As she didnt look like anyone who would be carrying such an expensive bag; I was really interested. Not that I am catagorizing people now as "expensive bag material" or not but you can almost tell by the way a person dresses and takes care of themselves if thsi person is likely to be holding an expensive bag or not. This person I saw was not. I started some small talk with her and i admired her bag (i was holding my whiskey paddington at that time too). I asked her where she got it. I was shocked!! On my way out of the store I caught another glimpse of her bag and almost went into tears!!!
She said she got it last week, in Indonisia, for $50!
The bag looked so real! I didnt carry her bag (of course!) but i could almost swear it was real!!!
Anyone need a tissue? :'(

madeline said:
And if you cant afford the bag buy a little something from the designer like a key chain or makeup bag, etc.quote]

Are you serious? Are you saying if you can't afford a designer bag, just buy a different designer item that is less expensive instead? Like a key chain. So.. it doesn't matter what you buy, as long as its designer. I find that quite shocking really! :amazed:

his angel said:
i have a story that would be a great method to either induce vomitting or crying!!
yetsurday i was at a store buying some socks for my son. I was waiting in line to pay when my eyes caught a lovely burgendy paddington on the arm of the lady in front of me. As she didnt look like anyone who would be carrying such an expensive bag; I was really interested. Not that I am catagorizing people now as "expensive bag material" or not but you can almost tell by the way a person dresses and takes care of themselves if thsi person is likely to be holding an expensive bag or not. This person I saw was not. I started some small talk with her and i admired her bag (i was holding my whiskey paddington at that time too). I asked her where she got it. I was shocked!! On my way out of the store I caught another glimpse of her bag and almost went into tears!!!

That's a dangerous and unfortunate way to think about folks. I recall my time as a freshman a Duke. I lived next to Ralph Lauren kids, and Ben Qualye ,and they looked like they had just gotten out of bed most times, really shabby and drove VWs. I think people with a certain amount of exposure and experience realize that many people who are well off simply don't display their wealth.

Reactions: LucyLaLaLVoer
CeeJay said:
I LOVE IT ... that's the reason why you buy a fake ... so that someone can barf :sick: on it (let's see, children, friend after too much partying, etc.) ... THAT'S HILARIOUS!

The only one I have, is a 'fake' L/V Fur Speedy which my husband saw on eBay (I had joked to him about the 'fur' and ... what is it going to do, keep your wallet warm?!). The only time I use it, is when we have a nasty snowstorm because you can quite literally just shake the snow off!

Hopefully my point wasn't missed....

BagLovingMom said:
his angel said:

That's a dangerous and unfortunate way to think about folks. I recall my time as a freshman a Duke. I lived next to Ralph Lauren kids, and Ben Qualye ,and they looked like they had just gotten out of bed most times, really shabby and drove VWs. I think people with a certain amount of exposure and experience realize that many people who are well off simply don't display their wealth.

honestly you can just tell sometimes. if someone has 1500 to spend on a bag, most likely they're not opposed to spending money on other things too. nice makeup, clothes made of good material, etc. there are always little differences to notice.

I don't think it is so much about being opposed or not, maybe it's just not on display all the time. I feel completely comfortable wearing Hanes sweat clothes from Wal-mart, no make up, and a very expensive bag. If you saw me, at one of those times, would you sum me up as not being able to afford that bag? Perhaps so, and that's where you have to be careful and realize that you would be dead wrong.

BagLovingMom said:
I don't think it is so much about being opposed or not, maybe it's just not on display all the time. I feel completely comfortable wearing Hanes sweat clothes from Wal-mart, no make up, and a very expensive bag. If you saw me, at one of those times, would you sum me up as not being able to afford that bag? Perhaps so, and that's where you have to be careful and realize that you would be dead wrong.

its not about wearing designer clothes ... or even expensive ones ... its about the way you carry yourself .... wearing a nice outfit doesnt mean wearing designer .. it means being able to pull together a look for as little as you can afford .... and sometimes .. cleanliness (body and clothes) goes a long way ..... the girl i saw looked unclean (had oily hair that looked like it hadnt been brushed for a few days ... her tshirt was wrinkled and didnt go with her sweat pants .... her shoes were dirty) ... i swear i didnt even look at the labels on her clothes and i have no idea if they are expensive, designer or whatever ... i dont care ...
if you cant afford expensive designers .. there are great less expensive ones .... or just buy non-designer .... i do that when i am tight on the budget ...
i am sorry if i offended anyone or if i sounded snobbish ... i swear i didnt mean it that way ... :sad:

BagLovingMom said:

you could wear swetclothes form walmart and have a 3000 dollar bag on your arm and it would be fine ... cuz it is how you dress (not what you dress) that is important ...
many times i go out in cheap sweats but at least they are clean, smell good, are ironed, and look decent ...

uber-chic said:
I've never understood this, but why do people insist on buying fake knock offs of designer anything, especially bags? In my opinion I could never get any satisfaction knowing that I was toting around a fake bag or fake watch or fake anything. If I can't afford to buy it, then I'd rather buy something in my price range instead of posing like I can afford something I can't.

Some people argue that they'd rather spend their money on something else like fixing their house or going on vacation, and would rather carry a knock off instead, and then have the nerve to make fun of people that buy the real thing. What they don't realize is that people that can usually afford a real $2,000 bag, can also afford to fix they're house and go on vacation too, without having to sacrifice one for the other...it's all relative.

Buying knock off bags and seeing women with knock offs doesn't make any sense. It's like a guy wearing a fake rolex, you just can't take him seriously, or respect him for that matter. I would rather see him wearing a timex...the same applies to women. If you can't afford the bag, stick to coach or kate spade or something, right? You're fooling no one but yourself, where's the satisifaction there?

Thoughts anyone? I don't mean to stir or churn, but I just had to!:P
I am very glad that some of you people are not the ones responsible for world peace:sad2: . With all this judging are you not afraid of your karma going to waist. Who are you that can hate and get disgusted by peoples just because they don’t think or act like you do:evil: . I for one by my friends designer bags as gifts, maybe that is what you should do with all your money. Give some to the ones that need and don’t judge them for having less:cry: .

madeline said:
How is this so shocking, If the person likes the design and admires the designers work then what is wrong with instead of buying a faje which is totally against designers then buy something within their reach from the designer. Does anyone else not think this is a good idea besides bags of fashion .

i think it's a good idea. if you support the designer and their work but can't afford their most expensive pieces, buy what you CAN afford instead of hurting their credibility and insulting their work by going fake.

makes perfect sense to me.

Reactions: Dooneysta