why do people "buy" a bag and not have funds?

No Cute

cupcake butt
Aug 17, 2008
Saw this a couple times last month. Two items got listed as sold, taken out of my booth, and never got payment. If money isn't available, why do people "buy" something?

Very confused.

I think people's eyes are bigger than their bank accounts. :P

Maybe they're selling other stuff and figure that they'll be able to fund a purchase, or they suddenly get an unexpected expense, like a car repair or medical bill.

Of course, that doesn't excuse the behavior, but it happens.

That kind of behavior makes me so upset, i dont understand why people have to do this, someone was bidding on my bag, outbidding another person, raising the price and then the person never paid!! Just maaaaad!! I think some people just have no shame!

Nocute - I sell a lot of children's clothes on Bonanzle (along with my expensive bags!) and I have had several buyers of the cheap items (less than $5.00!!!) never pay or contact me at all for 30 days. Insanity. Luckily they aer always quick to credit my account afterwards, which the Bay would never do.

I agree, I think people get caught up and before they realize it they have bought something that they always don't have the $'s for.. sometimes something unexpected can come up too, but if you are looking and commit to buy, one should live up to their end of the deal..

I see this all the time. I've had people bid and win small items (less than $20) that I've had for sale and not pay. If you don't have less than $20 to spend then what are you doing shopping online?

Also, if people aren't going to pay, then I think they should at least have the decency to contact the seller and tell them. I'm always sitting around waiting for days and sending messages/invoices with no communcation back from the buyer. That's just annoying!

Ya, it's odd. I look a lot, but unless I have cash in my account to pay immediately (assuming the asking price, which I almost always pay, is accepted), I don't push "buy it." Odd.

Thanks for validating my experience.

I hate when that happens. I had a buyer do that to me. The buyer submitted a couple offers and when I finally accepted one of the offers. I contacted the buyer about payment and they never responded back. I finally sold my item to someone else.

Sometimes things happen. Earlier this year a good friend of mine had a nightmarish experience in which she had a tremendous blowout with her ( now former ) best friend that was just awful, but even worse, she logged into her email one night to discover invoices from ebay, all BIN items, totaling several thousands of dollars. Turned out that the girl she fought with had logged into her ebay ( she knew the password, apparently ) and bought all these things out of spite. She had to fix it all on her own and I remember that some sellers didn't believe her story at all.