Why do LV handbag names repeat themselves?

vivilicious

Oct 1, 2011
I noticed that many handbag names are repeats of old ones, instead of Louis Vuitton coming up with completely original names for each new bag

Some examples are...

Portobello--

Riviera--

St. Germain--

Montaigne--

If you are still confused, if you look up google images, it should bring up the newer, recent version of the handbag name. Then, if you look on ebay, it will pop up searches of the old version of the bag in the searches too...

why does LV do this? I thought their names of handbags were quite clever.. but as I see names repeat themselves and the bags completely unrelated to each other (not like a "reinvention" of the old handbag)... I get the feeling that they "ran out of names" to name new handbags almost...

BagLady14

O.G.
Dec 15, 2005
North of Boston
Good question. I do know that most names and collections are geography related. Paris locations of bridges, parks, (Alma, Monceau )etc. There are many shoulder bags that have been named after rivers.... Danube, Hudson, etc. Cities even... Brea, Manhattan, Tivoli, Palermo .. They really like French and Italian names most. I don't know why they repeat previous names, but you're right. They often do.

vivilicious

Oct 1, 2011
Good question. I do know that most names and collections are geography related. Paris locations of bridges, parks, (Alma, Monceau )etc. There are many shoulder bags that have been named after rivers.... Danube, Hudson, etc. Cities even... Brea, Manhattan, Tivoli, Palermo .. They really like French and Italian names most. I don't know why they repeat previous names, but you're right. They often do.
You are right about that... there are "stories" behind the names... I love trying to understand the names!

I wish I knew why they would cause confusion by renaming a bag after another, older bag.. or just giving me an itch haha