Why do I keep buying Satchels when I prefer USING Hobos and Shoulder Bags?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    I know I prefer the Hobo and Shoulder bag styles for carrying - yet I keep buying Satchels because they look so pretty. I use my Coach Acorn Madison Maggie all the time because she is so comfortable to carry and easy to organize - yet my last three purchases were a Coach Lily, a Treesje Presley and a Treesje Marquis. Of those three purses - I have only carried the Lily once - about a month ago. Why do I purchase bags that I know I will end up just looking at and not using? I actually think that an XL Madison Maggie or an Editorial Zoe would probably be my ideal bag - but I have yet to purchase one. Do any of you do the same thing?

2. I don't know. I'm strictly a hobo girl. I own two bags that are satchel esque but have long enough straps to wear over the shoulder comfortably.

3. My Treesje bags do have the nice long shoulder straps - I might like it if I tried them out. I just haven't been ready to deal with that much interior space without compartments - even though all of my stuff is contained in Coach wristlets and pouches (I can change out a purse and all of it's contents in less than a minute because of this). The funny thing is that I sometimes hate dealing with the whole compartment thing when I am trying to get something out of the purse quickly.

Lily, however, could use a shoulder strap. The girl is SO pretty, but outrageously heavy. The double handles end up being a single strap on my shoulder with one hanging down. The first time I saw a picture of her I was smitten. Turnlocks = LOVE! (also = HEAVY!)

4. I go through the same thing. I'm drawn to satchels, but when push comes to shove they annoy the crap out of me. I got brutal and sold them all.

5. I do!! I love the look of Satchels, and I have a few, but ultimately my Hobo's are typically so much lighter, more comfortable and easy to carry!

6. i'm the same way.... caved in and bought the rocco which i loved except i hated carrying it. made me realize i needed to stick to my hobos, so off it goes!!

some satchels are just too pretty to resist.

7. I've done this a few times, too. I am a shoulder/messenger bag girl but I have purchased satchels a couple of times only to selll or return them because they just don't fit my lifestyle.

I love the structured look and they are often more organized than my hobos. I finally found a bag that works for me-- an aubergine MK Hamilton-- and it also has a comfortable shoulder strap. I am still tempted now and then but I know what works and I really hate returning things. I am trying harder to make better decisions.

8. I must look for one of those MK Hamilton's! I finally took my Treesje Presley out tonight. She was comfy on my shoulder - but it took me forever to find my wallet! It's a big Coach Gigi wallet too - so it shouldn't be THAT hard to find! She's a beauty though - the color is called Chartreuse - but more like a wrinkly deep yellow/tan and SHINY! She is very light and her leather smell filled up the car like my leather Coach Parker does (a satchel - with compartments - so I carry her). Off to look at MK now!

9. Labrat--I found mine at the MK outlet. I have photos of it in a thread in the new MK sub forum.

10. The ultimate satchel won't work as a shoulder bag or hobo. That's the point.
    I need a little of everything to satisfy the need for variety, but I do have preferences too. Can you enjoy the satchels on special occasions? Can you pick satchels that conform to your most basic needs in a bag, and yet give the feel, look, and structure you enjoy in a hand held bag?
    I became bored with hobos and shoulders after many years of the same styles. Discovering the ladylike bags and realizing the void they filled in my style was exciting and refreshing. I found it easy to sling on my arm and juggle car keys, water bottles and packages with no problem. I grasp a clutch under my arm and go about my business as though I have 10 arms and hands. Sometimes it's easy to adjust to new things.

11. i very much prefer shoulder bag or satchel which also fits over my shoulder. for my next bag i really want to buy this particular hobo but i hate to dig around for my stuff inside the bag :noggin:

12. I am the opposite! It took me a while to realize that I am happiest with hand held bags or those that go over my arm. I can't wear hobos at all because I need everything organized perfectly or I go crazy.

13. Because satchels are cute.

14. Wow it's like we were separated at birth!:nuts:

15. oohh yeah, i'm in that boat too

i am drawn to satchels because they are much easier to organize, and they are more practical to sit on a desk when needed. i like ones that can be carried on shoulder

i do have one perfect hobo. it's huge and has a wide bottom, so it's easy to organize it due to that. i love that thing for shopping, or other errand stuff.