why do i hate whip stitching?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I just do for some reason

I wonder if you can take it out....

do you like whipstitching?

2. I don't hate it, I think it just depends on the bag.

3. #3 Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
    No! I can't stand whipstitching either! Ha ha! I don't know what it is but it's such a turn off. Maybe it's too rustic? I doubt it can be removed without leaving visible holes.

4. yay! i'm not alone!

:smile:

5. Depends on the bag. When I think of a Chloe Edith with that heavy stitching I picture an old Italian craftsman hand sewing the bag in a small shop. I don't have the bag but I love the image in my head when I see the bag.

6. To me it looks a bit rough and unfinished - even if it's on a fancy bag. But some stitches - like the handles on some bags, like the Hayden Harnett Wyeth tote, look like surgical stitches to me and I can't deal.

7. I hate it. It smacks of Southwestern styling, which I cannot stand.

8. It looks good with bohemian or boho fashion. I like the stitching on the Balenciaga "motorcycle" bag handles and the Fendi Selleria line.

As long as it's slouchy leather... any kind of structured bag with whipstitch probably would feel too dated to me.

9. What about contrast whipstitching? Even worse. (Although I can imagine whipstitching being less intrusive on the handles of a bag, as mentioned above.)

10. I love it on certain bags, like my Balenciaga Twiggy. But I agree it doesn't work always and everywhere.

11. I like it, though it depends on the bag.

Linda

12. I'm not a fan of whipstitching either - glad I'm not alone!

It reminds me of those craft kits I had as a little girl. I think it spoils the look of the Balenciaga handles and I don't like the feel of it there either.

13. I generally don't like it either and don't really know why. There are a handful of bags I don't mind it on, though, like the aforementioned Chloe Edith.

14. I don't mind it. I think it can be cute if it's done right. But contrast whip stitching is horrendous.

15. I usually don't like it...not for aesthetic reasons but I always feel like down the line the stitching will loosen and unravel.