Why Do I Do This?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Buy something. Never use it. Have a hard time letting it go. Finally sell it and either want it back or use the money to buy something else I won't use. It's a vicious cycle. It's like a buy stuff just for the sake of buying something!

Gosh, I know I'm not the only one!

2. Retail therapy is a popular thing! Sometimes we buy stuff just to make us feel better in the moment or to distract us from something we need to do or work through. Is there something you need to do that you don't want to do or an issue that's troubling you? I know even boredom can be an issue. The key is to try not to put yourself in those positions so instead of going to a department store, go for a walk, meet a friend for lunch or hang out at the bookstore instead.

I bet most of us have been there at one time or another! Just being mindful of the pattern is a great first step.

3. I'm prone to spending unwisely in times of stress and PMS. :shame:

4. ditto!

5. If you have a problem with impulse buying, you could take more time to consider your purchases. Such as, go window shopping and don't buy anything. If you see something you like but you're not sure about it or it's a lot of money, don't get it that day. If you find yourself thinking about the item over the next few days then go back and get it later (as long as you can afford it). The waiting period can help you really figure out if you want the item or not. Another thing you can do is buy things at stores with good return policies so you can try the item out at home and then take it back for the full price you paid if it doesn't work out.

6. I have that problem, now my house if full of useless crap and it sits around until I finally donate it. I've gotten much better though this past year. Now i can go shopping all day and not buy a single item. Of course I'm not 100% cured, eh. I try to ask myself 'do I need this?' of course most of the time is no. If that doesn't work I ask 'do i really love it?' and if the answer is still no, I pass.

Of course I've passed on things I desperately wished now I had gotten and of course missed my chance cause it was last one etc. But in the end I guess it's for the best.

7. Know the feeling. Stress and PMS buys end up in the back of the closet, however I don't like getting rid of them, that little 'but I like it' feeling hangs around way too long.

8. I'm not a psychologist but it sounds like something is missing from your life and your trying to replace it with material things...but it's not providing any happiness so you keep searching. Dont mean to get to deep or anything. Just the first thing that popped in my head.