Why do French women always look so chic? Helena Frith Powell uncovers their best-kept

Thanks for sharing!
I'm actually quite let down by the fact that when you get to your toes you already need to start from your head again. It's like looking after youself is another job and often I just feel to tired to do it.

I've read one of Helena's books and it's just perpetuating the old myth that French women look after themselves better and dress better than anyone else. It may be so in central Paris - but does that represent the Parisian suburbs and the rest of France. NO !!

I've lived in France and have many dear French friends. Not one of them dress better than me or most of the Brits I work with/am friends with or even any better than other nationalities either. It's just a self perpetuating myth and a money spinner for Helena. There are many overweight Frenchwomen, French women with bad teeth/skin (even if they have good figures), French women with poor or no dress sense. One Bastille day I saw a women taking the kids out in the car with curlers in her hair !! Yikes !!

Interesting. I think it has inspired me to stop being lazy in some areas. :P

however i think the lack of sharing of beauty secrets is just rude. Lol. Spread the beauty tips, why keep it all to yourselves?

OH GOSH
JAPANESE WOMEN are the EXACT same

I was in Japan in a year and what you read in the article hahaa sounds exactly like what I was experiencing

Japanese women/girls are VERY well kept from head to toe, especially the office workers

yes they will live in a tiny TINY bedroom... a 2 bedroom apartment divided into 4 rooms and shared w/ 4 women BUT they NEED to go to the salon everyweek and look perfectly well groomed
I lived in the apartment discribed above for 8 months, DID NOT see my roommates looking less than perfect... It was so different for me, who would walk around the apt makeup less and w/ uncombed hair etc
even when they came out for a snack or something they are always perfectly dress and the hair is always always perfect

Thanks for the article ! I am French and I never understood what's the fascination is about ?! so that's interesting....
My personal comments are that very few of the women can afford (time and money) to go to the hairdresser twice a week, concerning make up it's true none of the women I know put on "visible" make-up, for the cold shower yes I knew that but I can't get to do it..bbrrr
Biafine is a cream we all have to repare light burn (but Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream does the same), and about sharing secrets.....I can't relate to that, we just don't talk about it it's considered shallow conversation.
But with a very close friend of course we do !!
I have lived many years now under english influence and got to love to make this extra visible effort, be all glamour, when going to a wedding for example....well at a French wedding I ended up looking "too much" !! But I found it so boring that even for an event like that the women would only wear a normal summer dress !!!
yes, boring....it has his down sides, also being judged and commented on as soon as you have put some"visible" effort, let me wear red lipstick !!! KWIM ??

another funny thing : when english,american,danish,etc.. friends compliment me on something (clothes or figure) they always add "that's because you're French", but no !! I don't want to be justified just from a nationality !! also bc in France I don't look like typical French lol