Why do all my bags get scuffs like this?

mmmadeli

Oct 23, 2013
I got a new Liebeskind bag about a week ago and I *love* it - I have been using it as my everyday bag for the past few days. I got home today and was distressed to find what seems to be a little scuff or ding in the corner:

SNPD59q.jpg

OKr1lsf.jpg

It almost looks like the top layer of the leather has somehow been scraped or ripped off. I have gotten marks like this on almost all leather bags I have owned, at least soft and/or colored leather bags - I have a Kate Spade bag in the closet where the entire underside of the handle has the "pink" rubbed or peeled off. When I google what to do about scuffs or scratches on leather, I mostly see advice to use oil or leather conditioner to buff it out, but that never seems to work on this type of mark. Alternatively, I've seen a lot of threads that say that if leather appears to be peeling, it's probably not real leather. I don't think that's the case here either - all the bags I've had this problem with have been purchased directly from reputable manufacturers.

Am I seriously the only person in the world having this problem? Is there something I can do to prevent it (or repair it), or is this just the reality of using a leather bag? Do other people just not find these types of marks unsightly? It really bums me out, so hopefully someone can help give me some advice.

Last edited:
I have much cheaper leather bags than that brand which do not scuff like this, or at least have not yet, even with regular use and little to no babying. Maybe the higher quality of leather is more delicate? I am curious what others know about this. I have heard that Dooney and Bourke bags corners can scuff very easily, but my calf leather satchel (rounded edges) does not have any scuffs.

I have much cheaper leather bags than that brand which do not scuff like this, or at least have not yet, even with regular use and little to no babying. Maybe the higher quality of leather is more delicate? I am curious what others know about this. I have heard that Dooney and Bourke bags corners can scuff very easily, but my calf leather satchel (rounded edges) does not have any scuffs.

Well, at least I'm not crazy for it bothering me. :/ I don't think I'm particularly hard on bags - like, I'm not an obsessive bag person, but I think my use is pretty normal. Hopefully someone has some thoughts.

This looks like a normal wear and tear, it happens to the corners of my tote as well. I use a polish in the exact same colour as the bag to patch the area up, leave to dry, then apply some leather conditioner at the end. You should give it a try too!

Reactions: SakuraSakura
Looks like the corner brushed against something rough. To me it is wear and tear. I see this on some of the pre-loved bags that I've purchased. I do baby my bags though so my boutique purchased bags have yet to show similar wear and tear.

It is just my opinion, but that it is poor leather quality and/or manufacturing if it happens in a short span of time such as week or month. If you see that on a bag that someone has had for many years then it is more likely wear and tear and normal use. But after just a week or two? That is poor quality materials. You may want to consider buying bags with "feet" on the bottom, which will lessen corner wear issues, even on less expensive bags.

Reactions: DZK
It is just my opinion, but that it is poor leather quality and/or manufacturing if it happens in a short span of time such as week or month. If you see that on a bag that someone has had for many years then it is more likely wear and tear and normal use. But after just a week or two? That is poor quality materials. You may want to consider buying bags with "feet" on the bottom, which will lessen corner wear issues, even on less expensive bags.
Yes, while I agree with an above poster that those spots come with regular wear and tear, for it to happen so suddenly, to me that would be unacceptable. When my bags start showing the beginning of wear and tear I donate them, so I should at least get a few years out of them before that. I realize other people have differing opinions on this, though.

Reactions: SakuraSakura
That is the top/pigment layer of the leather scratched off. A soft bag like that will be prone to this happening. It's not necessarily an issue with the quality of the leather (could be though!), Every leather is different. Sheep for instance will be very prone to scratching, no matter how it is prepared. If you want to avoid this happening, then you've got to look for bags that have a stiffer and sturdier feeling leather, or preferably veg tan (if you like the look) when scratches like these will somewhat fade over time.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I would take it back.it looks like it ran into something sharp enough to take the top layer of the leather off and now I would be concerned with peeling. I personally would not use the bag. I don't want to have to babysit my purse every time I use it, especially if it is an everyday bag. Hope it works out for you.