Why did it take me so long to decide to buy a kelly bag??

I didnt have the same ambivalence about a birkin as I did about a kelly and a bolide, but now that I have all three, I have to say, I am really enjoying each of them. For me, the kelly was more of an acquired taste, whereas the other two were somewhat intuitive. Though I think, if you like any one of them, you would probably like all three.

stephanie this is great to hear. there are pros and cons to the kelly so it's super interesting to me to hear about a real life experience with the bag. elaborate if you can.

stephanie this is great to hear. there are pros and cons to the kelly so it's super interesting to me to hear about a real life experience with the bag. elaborate if you can.

I want to thank all of you guys for your kind words by the way.

As to my real life experience with these bags - I had wanted a birkin bag for about ten years but I did not have the discretionary resources to buy one, and when I did, I still did not feel comfortable with that level of expenditure. Finally, about five years ago, I finally could afford one, but I was still hesitant. My husband, however, encouraged me. His exact words were, "You've been talking about this darn tote bag for years now - you can afford to buy one - why dont you just go put your name on the list?!" So I did. The next year, I bought two, one from the wish list and one special order. My SA said, you should think about the kelly and the bolide now too. The bolide I was drawn to immediately. It seemed a very cool, very casual bag. However, it took years to turn up the right one for me. It seemed like everything was goat and ostrich. And bright goat, at that. When I first saw the clemence 31 cm mou, though, I took to it immediately. The shape, the slouch, the leather, the zipper. The idea of a kelly bag, on the other hand, I was less sure about. I liked it on a visceral level, but I had an "image" problem with it. I thought that only ladies who lunch had kellys, NOT regular schmos like me. People who had kelly bags were all surgically altered, Upper East Side "Fekkai blonds" with nails painted in red Chanel polish and pointy, high heeled, $1000 shoes. The ladies who push me out of the way for a cab in the rain when I am standing on 5th Avenue, like a little raggamuffin, wearing my business suit and LLBean raincoat, holding a briefcase and trying to get to LaGuardia to fly somewhere (in coachclass) for work. (oops I hope I havent offended anybody here - I am sure there are some REALLY NICE ladies who lunch and who DONT push raggamuffins out of the way for a cab. Please understand, I am being somewhat tongue in cheek here). How did I get over my "kelly identity crisis?" Well, in part, it was a good sales associate, a very kind woman, who steered me to good choice for my particular taste and lifestyle. Also, over time, I realized that there were women who I really loved who had kelly bags, and who did not fit my negative imagery of a kelly-owner. Women who were smart and kind. There are even a couple of llving saints in there, with the kelly bags. I think this realization caused me to get over my ambivalence, and made me see that a kelly bag is really no different than a birkin or a bolide - its not pretentious and its really OK for us "regular schmos" to have one too.

Congratulations Stephanie on your Kelly...you are the best of the best person to own the bag...one who appreciates Hermes and is not purchasing it for the status of being the "it" bag. Wear it in good health and happiness!

Steph, I love and appreciate your musings on these bags! I think we like the same stuff. I have the Birkin, now I'm on to the Kelly and BOlide for my next big purchases!

Steph, I love and appreciate your musings on these bags! I think we like the same stuff. I have the Birkin, now I'm on to the Kelly and BOlide for my next big purchases!

Thanks Greentea - yes I get the sense we have similar taste - I have no doubt that if you get a bolide, you will feel comfortable with it immediately and say, oh gee why did it take me so long to buy this bag. My only advice on the kelly bag though is, while I think you should definately go ahead with getting the one you are zeroing in on, but once you have it, if you dont bond with it immediately, give it some time - it took about a week to ten days for me to "process" the bag and not feel that I was an imposter carrying it. I have no regrets and would buy it again (and will most likely buy a second one at some point in the future) but it did take a few days for me to adjust to it. ....Ironically I decided to change bags tonight and this week I will use the chocolate togo birkin (a 35 cm with palladium - it reminds me of a big Hershey kiss, whereas the gold kelly is more like a peanut butter graham cracker). By comparison, the birkin bag seems SO big now. The kelly bag is so much more compact.

^ That happened to me when I tried on a 32 cm Kelly at H and pranced around with it for a LONG time. Then I reluctantly handed it back and felt a big shock when I picked up my 35cm Togo Birkin again!

I know the Bolide and I will get along immediately and I'll have to give myself some time to get used to the Kelly. Actually, I don't know which will come first. I'm so picky with my Kelly and Bolide choices that I may take whichever bag pops up first. Kelly must be a black Chevre 32 (MAYBE Swift) And Bolide must be a brown Chevre 31.