Why can't handbag designers display their bags on models wearing them?

BgaHolic

Emma 4ever in my <3
O.G.
May 23, 2009
I've made up my mind I will not order a bag on line. For a month I was lusting for this bag from Barneys. I didn't make the plunge because, although it was lined in leather, the leather was black and anyone who owns a hobo knows the obstacles of finding the contents inside. Perhaps Bottega Veneta has spoiled me. They make their bags with a lighter contrast lining which makes it so much easier to find things inside!

Anyway, this is the bag - http://www.barneys.com/Barneys-New-...default,pd.html?cgid=womens-shoulder&index=11

Long story short, I ventured to the store to try the bag on and, while they do give the measurements, I couldn't visualize the enormity of this bag! I was right in guessing the strap would slip off the shoulder. My recommendation to all stores is to give as much enticement as possible, especially a photo of how the bag looks on another woman so one can get some idea.

Yes! This is why I like sites like Net-a-Porter -- lots of photos of the bag, plus at least one mod shot. And even then, it can be tough to know how the bag will look with your stuff inside. IF I order online, it's always from a free-shipping/free-returns site.

ITA. The complete lack of scale in the standard white background product shots is super annoying. If they had ANYTHING in there - a person or cards and change in wallet shot - it woudl really help. The other thing that annoys me is that sometimes designers don't have any photos of their whole line of bags next to one another so you can't tell how they're different in size.

I agree - I've seen so many bags on-line that I liked and when I saw them in the store they were way too big for me. I don't like to buy anything on-line unless I've already seen it in real life.

I wonder why they labeled the hobo as being "small". It is about 15" wide which in my book is "large".

The good thing about hobos is their ability to slouch when the leather is broken in, so it is not as large looking when it is brand new. You might want to take that into consideration?

I like shopping Zappos, they will have either a photo of a model or a video of a person modeling it live for us. They use the same models and they have a lot of personality! Zappos has a couture site, but I don't think they have modeling videos. Maybe only their runway models can model designer bags? No idea... even a model silhouette online helps.

As an aside I've been purchasing Purse Gummy online to adhere to my bag straps. For someone afflicted with horribly sloped shoulders it has been an absolute lifesaver!!

What's even worse if there are models, they are so tiny or tall that one can't get a sense of the bag's size either.

I've long ago given up - if I can't get a feel for the size from the photo, I start cutting up paper - I'll do a mock-up of the size based on the measurements listed, and that gives me an idea of what I'm dealing with.

I love Z@ppos for the fact that they do videos of most of their bags, with real women (not matchsticks).

What's even worse if there are models, they are so tiny or tall that one can't get a sense of the bag's size either.

I've long ago given up - if I can't get a feel for the size from the photo, I start cutting up paper - I'll do a mock-up of the size based on the measurements listed, and that gives me an idea of what I'm dealing with.

I love Z@ppos for the fact that they do videos of most of their bags, with real women (not matchsticks).

I've done this too! Of course, you have to hope the listed measurements are correct -- I just returned a bag to NAP that was listed as 12x8 but when it showed up, it was barely 10x6....