why buyers don't leave feedback??

I am still really really confused as to WHY buyers care if they get a retaliatory negative?? Unless your FB percentage is truly horrendous, no seller is going to cancel your bid on their item for having a negative that they can clearly see is in response to a neg left for a shoddy seller.

This is my main complaint with eBay's feedback system: the people who should be leaving negatives don't and then other unsuspecting buyers end up with negative experiences from that same seller because no one bothered to warn them via feedback.

:true:

The thing is, in my case at least, if I had left a neutral for every transaction that I wasn't completely happy with (before I became slightly more eBay-savvy and started asking a lot of questions before bidding), I would have left one for at least half of them, one way, or another and at least 1 in 5 of them would have got a neg! :shocked:

I think that's partly why it doesn't happen more. You soon realise that experiences on eBay are all relative - a totally positive experience is rare (until one is wiser) and a neutral, or slightly negative, experience is, frankly, the norm. :sad:

There is also the old chestnut of 'eBay etiquette', which some sellers accuse newbies of not understanding when they leave a neutral, for what the seller considers to be, a relatively minor problem; like poor packaging etc.

I was thinking of starting a 'Campaign for Honest Feedback' on here, to try to promote the idea that a neutral experience should actually receive a neutral and a negative one a neg! As opposed to the current 'etiquette' where a positive is given for anything better than a really bad experience and a neg is reserved for near-criminal, or criminal, behaviour! Wouldn't that be refreshing?! :biggrin:

What I typically do as a seller is leave immediate feedback for those who leave feedback for me, then wait about 2 weeks (enough time for a buyer to bring up any concerns) and leave feedback for any buyers who haven't responded yet. Then the feedback starts coming in. I don't worry about scams really because I'm not selling big ticket items and am only selling in the US, so it doesn't bother me to leave feedback without having received it as a seller.

I am so active in Ebay that leaving feedback is such a chore to do in a timely manner. I would leave feedback maybe once a month, at that time I have like 20 to leave. So be patient.

However, if I am not completely satisfy by my purchase, and it is not worth my time to try to recoup $20 then I would just not leave feedback at all. It's like neutral but it's not serious enough of an issue to leave neutral or negative. Those new to ebay are more hasty in leaving negative or neutral for they do not know how much it may affect ones rating.

I always leave fb, unless, like some others have said, I am not impressed but it is not worth leaving a neg or a nuetral.

I have two accounts, as a seller I leave the Fb last. As a buyer I leave FB first, I don't believe that your only part as a buyer is to pay. You have to receive the item, inspect it, and communicate with the seller if there is a problem. I feel that buyers who don't communicate a problem with the seller before leaving a neg or nuetral deserve a neg in return.

I once had a buyer purchase a coat, the measurements are clearly listed in my auction, and I mention 3x "Purchase by measurements given, not tag size". I accept returns, got the item back and refunded this guys money because it didn't fit him and HE left ME a neg:cursing: I also once had a guy leave me and 10 other sellers a negative that simply said "jerk". No reason, he was just having fun I guess....these are my only two negs and I don't believe in doing a mutual fb withdrawal I just deal with it, but this is the reason I won't leave it first as a seller.

I am so active in Ebay that leaving feedback is such a chore to do in a timely manner. I would leave feedback maybe once a month, at that time I have like 20 to leave. So be patient.

However, if I am not completely satisfy by my purchase, and it is not worth my time to try to recoup $20 then I would just not leave feedback at all. It's like neutral but it's not serious enough of an issue to leave neutral or negative. Those new to ebay are more hasty in leaving negative or neutral for they do not know how much it may affect ones rating.

Me too!! Pretty much exactly the same on both points.

I'll also add that I sometimes get annoyed at sellers who send me a reminder for feedback if they haven't left it for me yet, depending on how experienced they are and how nicely they ask. If it's someone experienced, with 100s or 1000s of feedbacks, it just reinforces the feeling that I have to leave a positive or they'll ding me. However, if you leave feedback first and then ask me, I'll respond and post feedback (pretty much always positive anyway) within a few minutes of seeing your note, since then I feel it's more reciprocal!!

As a seller I always wait for the buyer to leave feedback because their part of the transaction is not over just because they paid. If there is a problem I expect it to be handled maturely on their side. I accept returns for any reason with the first the week. If they can't get it together in that time frame, is it my fault? And some people can be profane, why should I leave postitve feedback for irrational behavior? They can return the item. I think I have sold about 100 items on Ebay and have only actually had 1 return and one price adjustment (for one of those stains that only show up under certain lighting conditions). Right now I am dealing with a woman who blackmailed me out of half the shipping cost, and sent numerous emails promising to pay in the morning and then not doning so for 3 days, which of course is not a long time, but the promises were tremendously annoying. Luckily the vast, vast majority of my transactions have been wonderful.
As a buyer I leave immediate feedback unless there is a problem, then I leave none. If the problem is so large that I must return the item, and they accept this graciously I will leave positive feedback, because sometimes mistakes are made. I have bought clothes in stores and had to return them the next day because of something not noticed while trying on the item in the store. I do not consider that a negative experience and would not dislike the store, so I don't do it on Ebay either.